Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT - "Do Not Call" list gets blocked - WTF? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59992-ot-do-not-call-list-gets-blocked-wtf.html)

C_Spray 09-24-2003 12:31 PM

OT - "Do Not Call" list gets blocked - WTF?

Some Bozo Federal Judge in Oklahoma has ruled that the FTC over-stepped its bounds in establishing the National "Do Not Call" list (which 50 million people have signed up for). The suit was brought by a group of - guess what - telemarketing companies. They're just pissed that they'll have to get off of their a$$es and go get a real job. Government officials expect that the decision will be overturned and the list will go into effect at some point in the future, but woe be unto any telemarketer that calls me after this....

CigDaze 09-24-2003 12:38 PM

Well, that's just a bunch of crap. That's the best bill that was put on the books so far this decade. Screw the telemarketing industry. :mad:

Tantrum 09-24-2003 12:39 PM

I think we should find out his number and drop him a line.

Three Days Only 09-24-2003 12:53 PM

Call him at dinner, just before and just after, then at 7:30 am on saturday morning, then just for kick call all day when he's at work and bugg his wife, then start all over everday with a differnt product. When he tells you that he's not intrested keep asking questions, and then just for kicks call back again.

We have just been telling all of them that those people no longer live her.

Sea Ya 09-24-2003 12:54 PM

Oct 1st all telemarketers are fair game. Home loans; I rent. Investors; I'm broke. Long distance carriers; I work for AT&T. Life insurance; I scuba dive and race boats. Dance lessons; I have a wooden leg. Credit cards; I'm on home confinement. I think you get the picture. Screw 'em.

Rick252 09-24-2003 01:21 PM

I wonder how much this cost the telemarkerters.

That friggin judge has to be on the take. He needs to be investigated

MillerLite88 09-24-2003 01:33 PM

Easy guys, I do agree that telemarketing can be a nuisance and a very disturbing practice but at the same time there are respectable businesses that use telemarketing in a professional manner. I personally run a telemarketing department for the worlds largest whitetail deer hunting organization. (I'm sure that there are also many of you that don't approve of that but that is another issue).

All we call is hunters, what I am saying is we pre-qualify the people we call as best as we can. So usually when we call a home, that person has an interest in our product. We are not calling every home on the block to sell a credit card or long distance service. When someone tells my guys that they are not interested, we simply tell that person to have a nice day. No rebuttals or talking you into something else. Although I am in the telemarketing business, I would never do the home remodeling, credit card, long distance type selling because I agree, they are quite a nuisance at times.

All I am trying to say guys is that there are a few good companies out there in this industry and us good ones have to take the bad rap along with the less reputable.

-Mark

Rick252 09-24-2003 02:37 PM

Millerlite88

I know what your saying, and it's bad that a few spoil it for other legit business'. The problem is, the bad seem to far out weigh the good ones. I have caller ID and I've got to the point that I won't answer the phone unless I reconize the number. I receive around 10-15 calls a day from "unknown" callers and lately as late as 10pm on weekends. Sorry, but if I'm looking for a product or service, I'll look in the yellow pages. I don't need someone to call and try to sell me something.

boot 09-24-2003 02:41 PM

Ooooppsss , Millerlite88 is on the Sh*t list now !

Ban him from OSO !

Ban him from OSO !

Ban him from OSO !

Ban him from OSO !

Just kidding !!:D :D I think .........

PS. Millerlite88, tell your guys my brother moved 3 years ago ! Quit calling his mother ! :D :D

birdog 09-24-2003 02:53 PM

"Buckmasters" ?