Like Tree0Likes

Disposal of contaminated gas

Old 10-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1996 Progression 24LD

Well, the right way is to put it in a sealed, properly labeled DOT drum and have it picked up by a licensed hazardous waste disposal contractor. Shouldn't cost more than $300.00 or so.

OR

You could just filter out the particulates by pouring it through a rag and then dump it in your local gas station's tank when the truck is there making a delivery. Believe me, 25 gallons with a little oil in it will not make any difference when mixed with 8000 gallons of fresh fuel. (as long as the amount of motor oil is small)
Old 10-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona

I do not know about your lawn mower but I would not take a chance on messing up my mower with unknown quality of gas.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

anywhere in NEW JERSEY is Fine
Old 10-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

Around here, you can dispose of oil & trans fluid for free at the Quickie Lubes. If there is antifreeze or gasoline in it, you gotta pay to get it hauled off.

It's difficult to recommend using it for fires, cause it is some dangerous crap to play with. The invisible fumes will hang around the entire area and will cause a mess or a serious injury.

Can't use it in a parts washer cause it will blow up your garage.

A lawn mower has a cranking compression of around 90 psi. It will run on anything north of 60 octane. Straining gas thru coffee filters is a maybe.

hmm.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Ranman

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I'll strain most of it into my 5 gal red cans for use in the mower. I'll use the rest on my driveway cracks and have a big bon fire this weekend (it's friggin cold enough). If anything is left over, I'll ship it to Jersey.

For anyone who'se curious, the gas is currently in blue 5 gal VP Racing cans. I use these in the winter to store Turbo Blue for my sled. The oil got in the gas becaues I had to evacuate it from a car using one of those vacuum container things that I use to change the boat oil and the container had a small amount of oil in it. The foreign material came from my attempts at flushing the gas tank in my boat.

Thanks again.