Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ot: Concealed Guns...What are your thoughts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60852-ot-concealed-guns-what-your-thoughts.html)

mcollinstn 10-07-2003 08:38 AM

TN requires a course to get the permit.

I have a carry permit.
I never carry.
I have no accessible firearms in my home.

I like the fact that the crooks never know who may be carrying now. Before, most law-abiding people were unarmed - now, who knows.

The permit info is public record, so if some crook is doing research and chooses to get info on me, he will see a carry permit. He will not see any hunting licenses, though, so he will have no reason to think I have a cache of resellable guns, but will know that I know how to use a gun and may indeed be armed and ready.

I've never wanted to carry, but I do indeed like the confusion that it causes the crooks. 7 of 10 friends have permits and 3 of 10 carry.

I like the ability to carry concealed weapons, but I do think that TN has it right in that it requires a background check, a fairly comprehensive course and test, and a shooting accuracy test as well.

Madcow 10-07-2003 08:53 AM

Originally posted by packinair
Ohio does not have or allow any CCW. even an off duty police officer can not carry legaly in Ohio
You are right about no permits in Ohio, but they may be coming. BTW Toledo Police Officers are REQUIRED to carry a weapon at all times.

X-Rated30 10-07-2003 10:40 AM

I carry, but not concealed. Let me explain. Down here, you go most places in your car. If I am going in someplace, chances are, it will be crowded enough no one would be stupid enough to cause that sort of trouble. The one in the car is not concealed unless the car is parked. The rest of the time it is in plain sight and easily reached.

Interestingly, the only time I have ever felt I needed it, the weapon was unavailable. I had just been pulled over by a local Barney Fife type. I was on a long trip through Texas. The guy gave me a bunch of $hit and told me it was a felony in Texas to carry a loaded weapon in the car -- He said the ammunition had to be in a separate part of the cae (ie. trunk). When I was leaving I put the clip in the trunk. About two hours later, we had stopped at a Walgreen's in Houston and the G/F went in. Up comes a crackhead causing trouble, and he gets into a fist fight with the store manager. For the G/F to get back to the car, she is going to have to walk though the area of the fight. Thankfully, the guy ran off before she came out.

I later found out Deputy Fife had lied to me and that I was perfectly legal. Jerk.:hothead:

bellyfeel 10-07-2003 10:43 AM

Missouri's carry/conceal goes into effect in the next few days. Missouri does not require a certification course and does a background check.

This issue was defeated by the citizens of Missouri in a statewide ballot and our legislators decided that wasn't what we really wanted.

IMO the reason for the uproar over this carry issue is the fact that the state government overturned the people's wish for no concealed carry, overroad the govenor's veto and generally did whatever they wanted to do.

By the way, the past ballot was primarily defeated by the urban populations of St. Louis and Kansas City.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it...EXCEPT...for the lack of training and certification. This law should require yearly certification with accuracy tests and some kind of analysis concerning moral and mental attitudes.

Sea Ya 10-07-2003 10:49 AM

As soon as everyone gets a permit, road rage will cease to exist. Better to have it and not need it, than visa versa. I feel naked without it now. Every year more states recognizing other state's permits. See www.packing.org

SummerObsession 10-07-2003 11:35 AM

I personally used to carry a weapon wherever I went, under the advise of a former US Marshall that my father knew very well.
I soon found that it was of no use if I didn't have it within reach.
Today, I don't carry a weapon with me when I travel, but I should.
Most of us have nice boats and nice tow rigs, and are therefore moving targets. When we travel withthe boat, we generally stay on the interstates and major highways due to the ease of exiting, fuel stops, etc.
However, we do occasionally venture off the beaten path. I would hate to think what could happen with a wrong turn somewhere in the middle of the night coming back from the lake! And it has happened before.
My dillema now is that quite often our four small kids are with us, and I don't really want a gun in the car with them!
On the otherhand, I would give my life to protect theirs, so I really should take every precaution.
Perhaps it's time to re-think the gun in the car, with a fool-proof safety lockout added. Hmmmmmmm, though provoking stuff.:)

Gary Anderson 10-07-2003 12:34 PM

bellyfeel
It's my understanding that MO DOES require a safety course that includes info on when a gun can be used.
Probably a good thing too.There's at least one example on the board that would not qualify.
I've seen statistics that cops miss more than 50% of the shots they take, and they're well trained. Got to keep in mind where those other 50% of the bullets are going.
On the other hand, I think it's generally accepted that all incidents where a concealed weapon stopped a crime are not reported by anyone involved. Additionally, the press seems reluctant to report on such incidents (a shooting at a NE college campus comes to mind).
All in all, I think it's a good thing. I'm getting mine.
Remember, Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than all my hand guns combined.
Gary

bellyfeel 10-07-2003 02:07 PM

Gary,

You are correct. An eight hour course is required. My mistake.

CAP071 10-07-2003 03:00 PM

I have one here in Pa. My father is a Policeman. He has drilled into my head that it is a last resort ONLY. It's not to break up a fight or win a fight it's to save my life when it's about to be taken.

ONly thing I think there should be some sort of standard course nation wide before they issue them

Chris288 10-07-2003 03:19 PM

NY is a whole different kettle of fish.. I have my CC but the judge restricts it to hunting and target. The sheriff who taught the 3 hour safety course, required to get my CC said there are no written laws in NY that says a judge can restrict your liscence. I stayed after the class and point blank asked the shriff if I can carry my gun anywhere at anytime, he said YES, except for schools, banks, NYC and any federal buildings. I asked why the whole hunting and target crap, he said well, for one it makes it easier and faster for you to get your permit, so I said to myself since when is a judge willing to help anyone out, then he told me if the judge puts this on the permits people think they can't carry their guns and there will be less people carrying overall...

I was still skeptical, because I do carry most of the time, and looked deeper into this. I asked another sheriff and he said if you get caught carrying with a hunting and target restricted permit the officer cannont arrest you or give you any kind of fine, but he can report you to the issuing judge, who in turn could possibly take your permit away...

permits work different ways in different counties in ny, I live in putnam and this is the case, dutchess issues full carry only, many counties try to issue these restricted permits, does ANYONE know 1000% the real deal regarding these restricted permits.. I have heard many sides to this story, some collaberating this and some not.

P.S. to anwser your question, yes, I do believe it is our right to carry a weapon and a good idea. I dont know the statistics, but I would say 99.9% of the crimes commited w/ guns are obtained illegally, and laws are only for law abiding citizens. Gun control gives the upper hand to the criminals who use guns against us. and a gun has NEVER killed anyone..