View Poll Results: Integrated swim platforms or not?
I like the platforms part of the boat
24.47%
i want more boat for the money i'm paying
75.53%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

Integrated swim platform or not?

Old 10-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2004 37 ActiveThunder

CAP071 I live in Indiana why wouldn't I want to be in the Keys in Febuary.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:50 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Think you would lose some speed with, say, 1300 pounds on the transom?
Attached Thumbnails
Integrated swim platform or not?-transom-bunnies.jpg  
Old 10-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

My Boats: NONE

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Daze
For me, I don't like built-in swim platforms.

I like flat transoms and bolt-on platforms. It's the way offshore was intended.

Ditto!

Jan
Old 10-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for your PM
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2003, 10:08 AM
bn
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 353 FASTech

This is a tough question. I don't buy a boat based on the swim platform and I've had both. As long as the boat has and does everything you want, then it shouldn't matter.

I will say that there is something to be said for getting a little more boat with the bolt on boats.

However, someone shouldn't be buying a boat with an integrated swim platform that might not be big enough for there needs. They should jump up to the next size model.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Registered

So everyone's commenting on the "cosmetics"...O.K. I'll go 50/50 on that one. Some are truly integrated into the lines of the boat, other molded in platforms look like an afterthought, much like the original Silent Thunder, or the bolted on Scarab platform if the 31's and 38's. Some "square edged" older hull designs that still live, definitely look more "hardcore" with a pipe platform. I've had both pipe and integrated. When it comes to "usability"...underfoot comfort...sitting on it, putting your stuff (towels, lotions, bla bla bla) down on it, setting out food at the beach, or setting your glasses or beer down on it...NOTHING compares to a molded in platform! I have a 353 Formula now...but I've got to tell you the integrated platform of the 32'/41' Velocity is one of the largest, deepest, flattest and closest to the water integrated platforms of any perf. boat under 50' that I've seen. If you spend alot of time swimming off the back of the boat, or hanging out at beaches as we do...you know how much more enjoyable a really practical and usable fiberglass integral platform is. Just the additional ease of use (boarding) and comfort for the ladies is a huge plus. I don't buy the length argument...if you can't figure out for yourself how much "bottom" your getting for your $, or if the inside is big enough for the $...you shouldn't be buying one!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Registered

"I want more boat for the money" ...what a misnomer. If you think that the builders are going to give more "finished" boat" for the length, (instead of an integrated platform) for the same money...your mistaken. The price per foot of upholstered, hardwared, finished interior/per length of the hull, will be the same from a given manufacturer. Your "more boat" will be "more money"! Just as it is now! Platforms have nothing to do with it!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2015 MTI 48

Regardless of the looks of the platforms (I personally like the bolt-ons better because it gives more flexibility i.e. removing, changing color, etc,), I can tell you one thing for sure. My 35' cigarette parked right next to a 38 Fountain, which it was at LOTO, are exactly the same length.
What does this mean? Nothing as long as you know that in order to get a 35' Fountain, you must buy the 38.
By the way, the 38 Fountain was a kick-ass boat, regardless of it's length!
Not bashing, just stating facts.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222

Rippem, i guess what my original question should have been is "do you want more running surface for the same size boat?"

Granted all of you make good argument either way...and once it come down to it, its all about personal likes and dislikes about the perticular boat in question........

Me personaly, the things i like about the molded platforms is that...
1. (like i said originally) the boat looks more "finnished" when the lines follow the boat the right way.
2. mounting something like a remote controll for the stereo looks better cause it sortof "fits there"(again My Oppinion) where as if you just mounted it on the back of a flat transome above the platform it just woudlnt look right to me...
3. I also think the girls like it better.....(again only my oppinion)....i think they like the smooth contours better then the traditional tube style platform only because its "smoother" .......i know more then a few girls who didnt liek sitting on the tube style platforms cause it was uncomfortable. Dont get me wrong here....i'm not saying that you should be influenced by what girl liek or dislike...but if a major purchase like an offshore boat is being considered by a couple (i.e. married) then you can be sure women will have a say in it......

ok...ive been sidetracked a few times during this typing and have lost my steam .....thats all i have for now till the brain starts working again!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay

Wally makes some good points, it's all what the intended purpose is for the boat. My last boat (28' Nordic) had the integrated platform that saw its fair share of use. Those times when we were in a cove just hanging with friends, it was indispensible for swimming, hanging on, drying off before climbing back aboard, etc. And the girls would hang their feet overboard while sitting on the platform and just have a good time. It even had a under platform mounted ladder that was hidden for the most part and that was great when swimming. With the flat transom, this type of activity would not be as user friendly. When I was just running, I wish I had the flat transom and a few more feet of hull, when I was hanging, the platform was great. I could go either way next time since half the time we just run, the other half we just hang.