Notices

OT: Bat houses?

Old 10-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got 2 of em.

One has bats. The other doesn't. They are both nailed to similar trees facing the same direction. They just dont like one of em.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:21 AM
Roy

I've also have one. It also took a year before they found it. If you want to try to find out if you have any bats around here is what I do. On a day you think there will be a good moon out, cut your grass just before dark to get the bugs strirred up. Go out just when it gets dark and watch for about a half an hour and they are usaully flying around if they are in the neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of them I put them in proximity to the barn witch there is a few living in to see if they would move outside some did but there are still some living in the barn
they make a mess have to keep the boats and things covered. They say to use moth balls and a small can of open gasoline around (I know it's dangerous) and it never worked maybe because It's a very high barn 40'. Sometimes when I am working in the barn at night they will fly into you they don't bother me but the rest of my family are scared of them but they are Great for insect control, Jo

Last edited by Joe Todesca; 10-20-2003 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CAP071
I was walking down the aisle to buy bird food for all the pretty birds in my yard.
Have you've ever thought about maybe turning your interests towards women and taking them out for something too eat???
Old 10-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

My cats kill em if they fly too low.
I believe it is legal for you to use cats as an exterminating device.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

I've got this vision of Too Old running around the house with his eyes bugging out, in his boxers and socks, robe flyin' behind him, chasing some bat with a tennis racket...
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

i made three of them at one time for a horse ranch that i worked on.. they work weel but you have to put them up about 20-25 feet of the ground and they must face east.. the afternoon sun will bake them and they will leave.. but they do consume somewhere between 600 and 800 smaller bugs nightly per animal.. and unless you go out to look at the box at night you'll never see they.. on last thing put the box a good distances away from humans.. they'll like it beter..
Old 10-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Registered

I've actually had to evict bats on occasion at work. I found that i nice wide broom works really well as a bat-bat. If you get the grip right, you can send them out and open window.