Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
O T: Gun Control Stats in Australia >

O T: Gun Control Stats in Australia

Notices

O T: Gun Control Stats in Australia

Old 10-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Just Say N2O

It was all guns, not just handguns, and I'm sure the statistics will be even worse in 24, 36, and 48 months.

Old 10-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RebarBox
Ok, I'm sure I will catch it for this!

This program is still new. Of cource armed whatever is going to go up. Would you expect the bad guys to go to their own law enforcement and say 'here's my gun........., I was going to rob someone next week, but it's against the law now to own a gun'

Let's see what the stats are in 24, 36 and 48 months, once law officials have time to cycle though the criminals and take their guns.

Was the 640,381 guns destroyed 'handguns' or 'all guns'?
In the meantime, would you like to be one of those in the 300% bracket?? Many people won't be around to see if the figures come down.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall seeing videos of the guns being destroyed in Australia. The pile of rifles and shotguns was huge. Handguns were in a seperate pile. That too was quite large.
What a waste.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by cuda
In the meantime, would you like to be one of those in the 300% bracket?? Many people won't be around to see if the figures come down.
Good point! But, If gun control is going to be addressed - it has to start somewhere! And getting from point A to B is going to have problems.

Don't get me wrong! I am not for eliminating ALL guns. But handguns are a differant story. A hand gun was made for one reason, TO KILL A MAN!

Rifles and shotguns will kill a man just as easy but are a hell of a lot harder to hide in your pocket.

I'm all for sport hunting i.e. duck, deer, etc... and even if a person wants to shot clay piegons or targets - great - with a rifle or shotgun!

I just can not see any reason (except for police, security and military) to have a handgun except to protect oneself from OTHER handguns.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Registered

RebarBox
"A hand gun was made for one reason, TO KILL A MAN!"
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
It's used to protect youself and your family. Without one you put COMPLETE control of a bad situation and possibly your fate in someone elses hands. Sorry, I would NEVER be willing to do that. You get it now?
What's more likely to kill someone, my gun or Ted Kennedys car?
Gary
Old 10-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally posted by RebarBox

Don't get me wrong! I am not for eliminating ALL guns. But handguns are a differant story. A hand gun was made for one reason, TO KILL A MAN!
My .44 mag works quite well for deer hunting also.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,740 Likes on 3,796 Posts

just think when they outlaw plastic explosives, and rpg's and things of that nature, all the terrorists will be gone too!! I am so glad that poeple use this logic, NOT!
Old 10-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was so obvious when this whole thing came down in England and Australia what the outcome would be. Why, when it is so clear in any logical person's mind that this program would have the opposite affect that was desired, would this plan make it through even the most superficial governmental sanity-check. I'm amazed at the power of special interest groups. They are vocal, so they win. We that support free ownership of guns are not vocal. We just take the apathetic stance of doing nothing to support our beliefs. I am an NRA member (well, I was, I need to re-up ). Although I don't condone all of the positions of the NRA, it is our single best way to protect our rights.

I personally cannot imagine being without firearms. I enjoy sport shooting, hunting and just plain admiration of wonderfully crafted guns. And, although I hope to never have to use my guns for the purpose of self defense, it is quite reassuring to know my trusty weapons are nearby should some no good, POS, useless, waste of air criminal enter my house. I would use my firearms and I would not be ashamed that I did. The only thing that would bother me about that situation would be having to clean up the mess!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody is taking, buying, confiscating or asking for my guns. They'll have to grab them from my hands by the muzzle end
Old 10-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
RebarBox
"A hand gun was made for one reason, TO KILL A MAN!"
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
It's used to protect youself and your family. Without one you put COMPLETE control of a bad situation and possibly your fate in someone elses hands. Sorry, I would NEVER be willing to do that. You get it now?
What's more likely to kill someone, my gun or Ted Kennedys car?
Gary

I knew this would stir to pot! Not trying too, just a discussion.

So you're going to protect yourself and family? If your not going to KILL A MAN (intruder) or wound (I guess, if you have enough time to aim at a knee), what are you going to do with this handgun? hit'em with it?

I have to ask, If we didn't have criminals with handguns, would we still need handguns?

Again, I not knocking ALL guns. But if handguns were gone, the element of surprise, by a criminal (handgun in pocket) would be greatly reduced.

And I guess you could say I'm the pot calling the kettle black - I do own a handgun. To protect myself from the guy in my house with a handgun.

ofshore - your a damn good shot!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killing is ok if done in self defence. The fear of being killed by a law abiding citizen is one of the few things that keeps criminals out of your house at night.

Quick Reply: O T: Gun Control Stats in Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.