Notices

El Boss

Old 11-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Since I'm being shameless...and lifting pictures

Originally posted by T2x
I drove one of these...back in the day...from Albany to NY.....with bigger (100 Hp) motors.
My father often speaks of the Albay to NY race...bloody knees and all.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Miller
Could a 46 foot (or any large size) 4 point hull run in rough, confused, nasty conditions at speed? Would it be as capable as the equivalent Skater length?
Good question....the fast answer is.....maybe. The big concern is closing the tunnel at speed with a large wave. Certainly the forward entry would need work, and a method of shifting the attack angle rearward in rough water must be developed....(trim, prop rake, tunnel compression.....etc)...but the top speed issue never occurs in rough water (Callan/Bacardi are not running 200 mph in 5 foot seas) so the whole idea of a "multi-purpose" 225+ mph boat is a bit wacky to begin with.

That having been said.......Four points were no slouches in messy water...up to their design maximums....see below.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails El Boss-t119.jpg  
Old 11-12-2003, 08:43 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

and tunnel/cats have "issues" too.........................especially at max speeds

T2x
Attached Thumbnails El Boss-reggie-flip.jpg  
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by vtec
Does the Powercat have two sponsons?

Does the Powercat turn well?

That hull design looks somewhat similar to Harry Schoell's step design in the side view.

T2x, give us the history of Powercat.

vtec
Actually, the correct statement is Harry Schoell's step design looks similar to the Power Cat....which was designed many years earlier. Power Cat started in Bellflower, California under the helm of Ray Leger senior. Ray worked closely with McCullough Scott outboards and, later, Kiekhaefer Mercury in the early days of outboard marathon racing (the ancestor to both modern Offshore AND tunnelboat racing).

The basic design was originally crafted in wood and later fibreglass.....and consisted of two hard chined SYMMETRICAL sponsons....joined by a flat bridge at the top of the tunnel. These boats were both faster and better handling than equivalent flat and round bottom monohulls....... The deep vee design ( which came along a few years later) eventually caught them in rough water.....mostly because the Glastron factory team had more money and marketing savy..... and the Deep Vee was more consumer oriented.

The deep vees never really caught the four points...and the ASSYMETRICAL tunnels were yet another dominant twist in the catamaran design evolution.

For further Power Cat info I'll post a link later.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-13-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x, I sat with the guy who built the Magnolia cats at the last two Ftl Lauderdale boat shows. This year, he brought pix of an original Mississippi river racer that he is restoring with with a couple of 100's. Guy Radiano (the guy who is vertical in the "Miss Magnum" picture) from TNT is helping him with counterrotating the port unit. This boat is an orignal Merc team boat, I think driven by Bakos and Mersereau.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:20 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by BROWNIE
T2x, I sat with the guy who built the Magnolia cats at the last two Ftl Lauderdale boat shows. This year, he brought pix of an original Mississippi river racer that he is restoring with with a couple of 100's. Guy Radiano (the guy who is vertical in the "Miss Magnum" picture) from TNT is helping him with counterrotating the port unit. This boat is an orignal Merc team boat, I think driven by Bakos and Mersereau.
Brownie:

Ola!

Funny you bring that up....we were discussing the Magnolias last week...... some of the drivers at that time preferred them......but they were really ungainly...ugly is a better word. As you can see this whole wing project is having an impact on my design thoughts..... The more I study this beauty the more amazed I am at how advanced the damn thing was...and is! I have been in contact with Bob Switzer and his thoughts are quite interesting....... However, I can't figure out how the minds that crafted the Wing...wound up building the later Vee bottoms......which were no where near in the same league......nor direction.

Maybe we are all destined to reach a peak........ and lose the "edge"....... I'd hate to think that's true....but as Chairman Emeritus of OLE' (Obsolete Loudmouths Extant)....maybe I should reconsider.

T2x
Old 11-13-2003, 08:31 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Brownie:

Restored Magnolia Cat
Attached Thumbnails El Boss-old-cat2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 08:32 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Power Cat website.

www.powercatboat.com
Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Huminahhuminahhuminah.....................
Attached Thumbnails El Boss-47.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is (or was) a Skipjack from the left coast.

Quick Reply: El Boss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.