View Poll Results: Are you for the changes & innovations on the RoughRider and Maximus?
Yes. I like it, innovating, not the same old stuff.
7.32%
Maybe Yes. not sure but it might grow on me.
8.13%
Maybe No. Not a disaster but I'm not too crazy about it.
18.70%
No. "Where do I put the quarter in this Revolution looking thing."
65.85%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

New Cirarettes Layout for RoughRider & Maximus

Old 11-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Sweet 16

points well taken 28/38

For the record, i am strictly old school and am still somewhat stuck in the 80's...so these new designs are lost on me, but you're right about Cigarette always wanting to try new things, i guess that is a good thing.

I also know that i will probably never be able to afford a new Cigarette, so they have no reason to try to appeal to me.

My only real gripe I guess, would be their lack of interest in racing offshore. The company was founded on being the toughest, fastest boat offshore and now they are build ing spaceships...one man's opinion.

I also think that the new deck design on the 41 Apache is simply awesome. It reminds me of the '05 Mustang...you can see design elements of the old model in the new car/boat. I will also say that if I ever did have the means, I would not jump on any bandwagon and would probably not by an Apache from the current ownership...People buy from people and these guys clearly are not my kind of people.

Guess that only leaves a new Outerlimits for me
Old 11-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by F2-34thrttleman
I think that donzi, dragon, and outerlimits are the new big vee-bottom boys. Beuatiful, functional designs. Thats what true offshore buyers want.

Nick Porter
F2-34 t-man
Again, directed at "some" board members,

Craig did a great job designing the Dragon. He is a member of the board, and was nice enough to share the progress with us.

For that reason, I never saw one person ask a question that might be less than positive about his idea. Why? Afraid because he is here and can respond? Probably.

Your kidding yourself if you say that the Dragon is not the most unique and different design currently. It's far more custom than a dash or some electrnics. But no negative responses (and I know some of you had less than positive things to say). I like it and am eager to see what he will change and modify on the next one.

Since Cigarette chooses to not be a part of the board, then they are subject to all of the criticism and 3rd hand knowledge you can dish out. Why? Because it's behind their back, or so you think it is.

You wouldn't rip the Fiore's for their pricing or designs on here. They will rip you right back with real knowledge and reasoning as to what makes them special. OL is innovative and constantly trying new ideas. That is why they are successful. Same with NorTech, Donzi, Cigarette, and (oh my god!) Apache. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Last edited by PokerRunGunT/S; 11-12-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: boating,travel,relaxing

frankly i think the cigarette line is not as good
as it was 2001 and back. it is not the same
boat
Old 11-12-2003, 05:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: boats

Although I am one of the competitors I still have opinions because at the end of the day, I'm a "boater" just like the rest of you. I thought the cigs were pretty tricked out. Over the top, maybe but hey they got everybody talking. Where I think some mistakes are being made and not just cig is that it still has to be a "BOAT". Of course it has to perform, be built well and look good but you need satisfy the basics, like being able to see where your going (duh). You need to be able to tie the thing up to a dock or raft with others. (I see some new designs that take foredeck and stern access to new levels of difficulty). Sometimes (c'mon now) you have to please the other half. What I look for is a good combination. Luckily for all of us, there's more than one boat builder out there and everyone seems to have their niche. The good news is that we have choices.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by salesmanship
Although I am one of the competitors I still have opinions because at the end of the day, I'm a "boater" just like the rest of you. I thought the cigs were pretty tricked out. Over the top, maybe but hey they got everybody talking. Where I think some mistakes are being made and not just cig is that it still has to be a "BOAT". Of course it has to perform, be built well and look good but you need satisfy the basics, like being able to see where your going (duh). You need to be able to tie the thing up to a dock or raft with others. (I see some new designs that take foredeck and stern access to new levels of difficulty). Sometimes (c'mon now) you have to please the other half. What I look for is a good combination. Luckily for all of us, there's more than one boat builder out there and everyone seems to have their niche. The good news is that we have choices.
Terry, when I see that you've posted somewhere I actually check that thread because I have found that you usually say something intelligent. The above is an example.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:44 PM
WickedWon

Default Murphy's Law Is The Issue

My concerns regarding their new design all revolve around the sheer number of parts and pieces necessary to execute that design. The offshore environment demands less not more moving parts. ( hell I can't keep the oil in a gaffrig speedo ) If you've noticed Mr. Fiore's more serious boats are getting back to basics ie. fewer "amenities". You'll find most of those who stay involved with offshore, and continue to buy faster and faster boats (and actually run them in offshore conditions) want less not more of what Cig is leaning toward.

A friend of mine has purchased the first Dragon, I have HUGE reservations about how "user friendly" it will be in real world conditions, however they did a pretty good job of keeping it simple on the parts and pieces front. I don't expect it to fall apart, I do expect it to be a pain in the a$$ to see out of and operate, we'll see.

I do appreciate design exercises, and the huge costs that accompany them, but they typically are just that, in house envelope stretching, learning and promotional exercises, nobody expects them to work well, and they don't sell them to the public. This new boat has a mirad of potential electrical and mechanical problems that could do much damage to the legend that is Cigarette, and that would be a shame.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM
F2-34thrttleman

cigracer28/38

Yes, if cigerette members were on the board, not only would i question the design, but i would ask that they reconsider such radical departures from functional offshore designs in order to keep cigerette where i feel it should be. No, i dont own any part of cigerette,there fore i have no say in its designs, but i will be a future prospective buyer with the money or "check in hand" to support my taste and decisions. I simply feel that the dragon has wider appeal in design and look than some of the new cig designs. i am far from stuck in the 80's. I am a very current individual. i like seeing the offshore race world eveolve into short course close competition. I throttled a factory 2 race boat for 3 consecutive seasons, and a factory 1 boat for 1. I like new designs, and i think there are alot of good builders out there. In closing i do respect innovation, it is the pre-requisite to evolution. Maybe people will truly like the new cig designs. Time and order schedules will tell.

Nick Porter

P.S., I always wish that people would sign thier names at the end of their posts. That way when i meet people in person i can address them by their name, instead of saying "hey are you Back4more, raypanic, etc....."

Old 11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

We can't forget also that the models we are talking about here are not the bread and butter of Cigarette in my opinion (omitting t-shirts ). I would venture the TG, Gladiator and Tiger are probably the majority of orders and the 45' and 46's might represent at best 15% of their yearly production. Entailing about 12 boats a year based on 85 / year production I have heard.
Those rigs are however the Flagships so, many eyes are looking.
I'm sold on the recent TG/TS's (Rice Hauler and the likes)and the Tigers(anything Martin and Phil have used currently) BIG time, and these forays into innovations won't affect the attractions to the 38 and 42's I have and my intentions toward trying to get into a 2000-2002 boat. I am not of means to afford getting hit with depreciation associated with new boats anyway, new anything practically.

G.L. Harvie
(for you F2!)
Old 11-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Quote:

P.S., I always wish that people would sign thier names at the end of their posts. That way when i meet people in person i can address them by their name, instead of saying "hey are you Back4more, raypanic, etc....." [/B]
Your point is well taken Nick. I just think the board better get used to the fact that things change. If all boats were the same as they were in the beginning, there would be no reason to buy a new one. Thus putting the companys that build them out of business. Less people seem to realize that. That attitude is what drives the brokerage market though, which is great for the sport. Good points Nick. It's nice having a discussion (not arguement) on the board.

P.S. I dont hide behind screen names either. My name is Brandon Lee. I will buy the first round.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Quote:
Originally posted by cigracer28/38
...It's nice having a discussion (not arguement) on the board...
This said C28/38 let's talk about your Avatar. Did you get a hold of some bad acide?