Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   pantera survivor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64552-pantera-survivor.html)

sangercat 11-24-2003 04:23 PM

pantera survivor

what happened to pantera on sunday in keywest? heard they flipped

Tim G. 11-24-2003 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boys did have a mishap and both found themselves in the water. But, they are OK.
I'm sure Jo or Pepe will post the story before too long.
The boat ran great in testing prior to the race.
The guys won wednesdays race in 6' seas.......

Tim G. 11-24-2003 04:46 PM

I haven't seen the boat, but I know they have it. It's not "unrecoverable".

glassdave 11-24-2003 05:11 PM

last i heard it made it back on the trailer. they spun out ahead of me an all i saw was a huge spray of water and by the time i got to that turn it was nose up. man i am so glad to hear they were alright. it was a very tense situation. good luck guys, hope the boat isnt to bad.

OffshoreOnly 11-24-2003 05:40 PM

The boat was actaully on the straight away right before turn 4 when the incident occured according to one of the spectators.

Pepe and Jo were rushed to the hospital and in their absence Treadwell, Angel, and the OSO Paceboat Staff assisted Tow Boat US in locating the boat after it sunk.

The boat was hooked up to by a local pirate while our backs were turned as we were attending to the injured. The pirate would not allow Tow Boat US to tend to it immediately as Tow Boat US was the contracted tow company for the event.

The Coast Guard instructed the pirate to release the boat to Tow Boat US and was in the process of arresting him when he conveniently slipped in to the water with his scube tank and vanished. We found out later he was a felon on probation for a sexual predator charge.

The boat was located, bagged, and lifted and rushed to Miami to have the motors pickeled.

Pepe is still in the hospital as he injested a lot of water in his lungs. Jo was released yesterday.

105mph_38_2003 11-24-2003 05:54 PM

So a guy attempted to steal the boat? How does that work and why would someone even attempt to hook up to someone elses boat in a race with tons of people? How can someone just disappear in the middle of the ocean?

School me because I am confused:confused:

duunoit 11-24-2003 06:26 PM

I believe there is some sort of high seas salvage law that says if you salvage it, it's yours... I hope Pepe gets better soon.

Chris

US1 Fountain 11-24-2003 07:11 PM

So as soon as it goes under, it's considered a free for all? That chit just doesn't make since.
I can see if a boat was down under for a couple of yrs, but damn, the motors were still hot. Also, if it was legal for the POS to make claim to it, how could the CG instruct him to release it?
I also would like to know the law as it pertains to this stuff. Seems like a cheap way to get a new boat.

My opinion, the CG guys have guns right? Should have used them!

Also hoping the best for the crew.

Steve 1 11-24-2003 08:30 PM

Pepe and Jo My Best Regards and I hope all is well for you.

OffshoreOnly 11-24-2003 09:08 PM

He was not trying to steal it, he was trying to recover it and hit Pantera with a huge salvage bill.

TopSpin80 11-24-2003 09:19 PM

Once something sinks and it's owner is unable to properly handle it the rights to it are given up to any salvager who gets to it first. It a sad deal that this guy was more worried about the boat than the people, but he probably knows the laws better than most and probably can still get possession of the boat since he was the first person to actually begin salvage operations, and was physically forced to stop when he had the right of way. There are a lot of strange maritime laws about this sort of situation. I'm sure there are some lawyers on here that have studied offshore law.

I hope everyone is ok.

Ernie

lowblue320 11-24-2003 10:01 PM

my family sends out prayers to the pantera family, at this time iwould like to thank everyone who has posted updates as we are all friends of the pantera family,i also went by the factory today monday and it was closed if anyone has any info on the hospital please e-mail [email protected] i would gladly appreciate it thanksyou again......

andy,

OffshoreOnly 11-25-2003 09:04 AM

The Hospital in Key West, it is the only one from what I understand. Spoke to Jo late last night, he has a fractured back but is doing ok otherwise. The rest of the family is headed back down to Key West to stay with Pepe. They are a little questionable of the quality of the hospital. If there are doctors on the board that can offer their opinion if we give them the info please contact OSO headquarters.

sean stinson 11-25-2003 09:07 AM

Please let us know the condition of Pepe as I was told last night that he had taken a turn for the worse.....can someone confirm this.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Sean & Terra

Wally 11-25-2003 09:09 AM

Glad to hear the Pantera guys are OK :)

Ive heard numerous stories about these "salvage guys" .....from my understandings they can claim almost what ever pirice they want on the salvage opperation......most times they will make the cost a % of the cost of the vessel and then the insurance will just pay them a % of that bill.....its realy a screwed up deal!
Theres a story i read about a guy beaching his almost new cruiser on a sand bar.....calls for help and they respond they are on the way.....in the mean time the tide goes up a bit and he's able to free himself off the bar under his own power and starts heading home but he adoes have powertrain damage and has a hard time manuvering around.......the salvage guy shows up and the guy says he doeasnt want his help....the guy says ok but let me just tow you into the harbor then "for your saftey".........after the ordeal he learns the "salvage guy" submitts a bill for over $100K!!! :eek: to the ins co and they go ahead and pay somehting like 30% of it without even an investigation solely on this guys word!!!! unreal!

sgrady 11-25-2003 09:11 AM

My prayers are with the family

CigDaze 11-25-2003 09:11 AM

Sorry to hear. I wish Joe and Pepe the very best!

What a strange twist of events...sheesh...

Once a boat is in peril or in danger of being in peril, the salvor has rights to it and can charge a substantial fee for its salvage. This is old school maritime law and it still stands today.

However, in this situation, a salvage company(Boat-U.S.) was already under contract and nearing position to salvage the vessel. The pirate has no rights.

Hope they get the sunnuvabitsh

BRUCE SEROFF 11-25-2003 09:30 AM

Steve

If at all possible, please keep us up to date on the condition of Jo and Pepe.

thanks

mr_velocity 11-25-2003 09:33 AM

Originally posted by TopSpin80
Once something sinks and it's owner is unable to properly handle it the rights to it are given up to any salvager who gets to it first. It a sad deal that this guy was more worried about the boat than the people, but he probably knows the laws better than most and probably can still get possession of the boat since he was the first person to actually begin salvage operations, and was physically forced to stop when he had the right of way. There are a lot of strange maritime laws about this sort of situation. I'm sure there are some lawyers on here that have studied offshore law.

I hope everyone is ok.

Ernie

Perhaps in this case he didn't have right of way since he was on a "hot" race course that is closed by the CG to all outside personel.

Cord 11-25-2003 09:45 AM

So what was the cause of the wreck?

Tim G. 11-25-2003 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Cord
So what was the cause of the wreck?
Jo told me the boat ran good (90+) in Saturday testing.

There are a couple rumors floating around, but let's all just wait for Jo or Pepe to come forth with the facts.

False statements going around are certainly not what the boys need right now......

Caincando1 11-25-2003 10:12 AM

My best goes out to Jo and Pepe. And a huge thanks to those that helped.

Brian

OffshoreOnly 11-25-2003 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the POS Pirate connected to the Pantera along with the Coast Guard cutter who has just instructed him to release the boat.

The Captain of the Coast Guard was supposed to ride in the OSO Pace Boat during the secong race so we used this to our advantage to help get the Pirate to leave without paying a fee.

CigDaze 11-25-2003 10:18 AM

Cool! Way to go, CG! :)

Cord 11-25-2003 10:18 AM

Was that pic taken before or after the wreck? I ask because I don't see any damage...

OffshoreOnly 11-25-2003 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of Opa and Treadwell who were eager to jump overboard and cut the Pirates line and deliver a can of woop a**.

OffshoreOnly 11-25-2003 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the POS himself on the back of the Pirate Vessel preparing his get away. Make sure if you ever visit Key West to avoid this vessel unless you want to take it for a one way trip, I am sure that would fine with all of us.

OffshoreOnly 11-25-2003 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, get a good look.

Tim G. 11-25-2003 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The big F U to the Magic Penny!

Wally 11-25-2003 10:38 AM

That Coast Guard Cutter looks like a Pirate vessel!!! :eek: :D

Tim G. 11-25-2003 10:46 AM

Cord,
The pics I posted were from prior to the event. I posted them to try to keep speculation to a minimum.

The CG boys mean business. I work with them on a regular basis.... I've seen their determination. Their next move would likely be to crush that pirate boat with that all aluminum 47'.

this whole situation pisses me off, not just because the boys got banged up...but because we were running late and I missed being there to open a can myself.

You can be sure that I'll tell all of my Keys customers not to even glance toward the Magic Penny!!!

SummerObsession 11-25-2003 10:55 AM

From some of the stories I have heard regarding healthcare recently, I would get Pepe the hell out of there if there is even a HINT of question. DO NOT take no for an answer!
I hope all is well as soon as possible!

Perhaps a new thread for doctors on the board to call would be in order.

steve: big kudos for helping out. Again.:D :cool:

panteraman28 11-25-2003 11:08 AM

Just spoke to Joe, and he is ok, and hopfuly Pepe will be released today,thank god they are ok!!!!!!!

duunoit 11-25-2003 12:10 PM

Glad to hear it! Here's to a speedy recovery to Pepe and Jo.

Chris

Iggy 11-25-2003 01:34 PM

That CG Cutter looked a bit grungy.
Somebody ought to wash the poor thing. I know those boats are bare aluminum but there has be a way to keep it looking clean.

Keith 11-25-2003 02:32 PM

We saw them in the pits on Saturday, spoke with Dave Robinson and even bought a couple T's from them. They were getting ready to take a few practice runs. The boat looked good as they went zipping by the pier later that evening.

Glad to hear he's doing okay and hope he has a speedy recovery.

BJM 11-25-2003 02:47 PM

Update

Jo is home with a cracked # 1 in his lower back. He will be hurting for a while.

Pepe is still in Key West hospital and has some pretty serious injuries. Fluid in the lungs and his leg is in bad shape, arm and shoulder problems also. I believe they are trying to get him moved to a Miami hospital.

The boat is back at the Factory and is OK. There is damage but it can be fixed.

Jo and Pepe went right from the pits to the race course on Sunday. They were working with the Merc guys trying to get air out of the steering but ran out of time. Steering problem was the main cause of the mishap.

Jo and Pepe are lucky to still be with us.

B.J. Maher

BRUCE SEROFF 11-25-2003 02:56 PM

WOW!!!

I didnt realize it was that bad.

BJ....

Thanks for the update . Im sure they will pull through and make a speedy recovery.

Please wish them our very best. We'll be praying for them and the family.

lowblue320 11-25-2003 03:38 PM

wow thats some news i didnt know thanks for the info....