Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bat Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64898-bat-boats.html)

cowboycig 11-28-2003 06:12 PM

Bat Boats?

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the bat boats and how legit is it. I just want to know because of the tv and magazine coverage is it worth spending my money or should I just stick with poker runs

packinair 11-28-2003 06:22 PM

I have spent some time in them on several ocasions. once in a 130 mile 6-8' wave poker run.. AMAZING boats.. the rougher the better they are. Also have had the pleasure of meeting chris reindl and his crew many time. they are great and put on a hell of a value for what you get. As far as is it worth the money, I would say NO, the time effort they put into make it a first class operation it is worth alot more.. I say 100% to give it a try. you will NOT regret it

packinair 11-28-2003 06:25 PM

www.reindlpowerboats.com

Pete B 11-28-2003 06:27 PM

Do you want to race?? If so it is a very good place to get your feet wet and stay dry, Chris has several packages from single race, to half season, to full. As for cost imagine getting a boat+ expenses, and a crew and their expenses, it can quickly add up. several people on this board have raced in the one design class and have moved up, but they have all agreed it is a great place to start. and a great value for the money.

cowboycig 11-28-2003 06:27 PM

So you think its good i'll have to check it out. Is it dangerous being out there with all the bigger boats, since you can't see behind you.

Pete B 11-28-2003 06:30 PM

walking across the street is dangerous, he will give you time to practice, and make you feel comfortable in the boat before they set you free.

cowboycig 11-28-2003 06:32 PM

sounds good now will he let people use them in poker runs

glassdave 11-28-2003 06:34 PM

i can second that. i just got back from running the Key West offshore nationals in the #12 boat with my co-pilot and driver greeneyed boatbabe. check out this thread.

link

i did the poker run with packinair and it was a huge eye opener for both of us. we ran down some big hitters that day. on a 50 or so mile leg from detroit to toledo out of 60 boats we were the third one in.

give Chris a call an he will set you up . . .trust me you wont be sorry. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

glassdave 11-28-2003 06:40 PM

as far as safety. i'll be honest with ya . . i felt safer in the race on saterday than in some poker runs i'v been in. :D :D seriously though chris takes the time to give you the proper intro to offshore racing in a safe controlled setting. and not to mention the safest boat you can be in. :cool: :cool: :cool: give me a call if you like. 419-461-1484 i'll help ya any way i can :cool: :cool: :cool:

ryoung99 11-28-2003 06:55 PM

Do it and do not worry about what is behind you, worry about what is in front and next to you.

Personally I would be careful running in the poker runs and let the boats get strung out before passing them. Do remember the boats have a low profile and are hard to see from most (if not all) boats in a poker run.

We ran ours earlier this year in the Big Cat Poker Run (100+ boats) and had a blast, in the process we kicked some major butt.

At the first stop we were the first single engine boat to arrive and was the second v bottom, bested only by Honker Cut Marines 42' Fountain with triples.

The water was rough and we dusted them, the next single to arrive was the F1 LaveyCraft, they followed us throught the muck and by atleast 35 twin's.

You should think about skipping the poker run and just racing the boats, you will have more fun in a safe environment.

Rick

Sydwayz 11-28-2003 08:47 PM

Chris and Company are 100% straight up, and have I the time and coin, I will be pulling one of his offers.

Joe Todesca 11-28-2003 10:16 PM

I have to agree with glassdave & ryoung99 , Poker runs are not the same as racing. lots of the people on those runs have no idea were they are going, can,t read a compass and most brag there boat does 100mph. and have little to no seat time. There liable to turn without warning and make some pretty close calls. Racing there all professionals, your first race the start line is 100yds behind the rest and all the big boys know what they are doing. I have raced with boats inches on ether side ng and never gave it a second thought. I believe if you try a bat boat you will not be disappointed. Racing is very expensive and lots of responsibility for a boat owner and crew Mr. Reindl makes it possible to experience a thrill of a lifetime without the aspect of what it take's to race and the procedure's needed for racing at a very responsible price. Good luck . Jo

THEJOKER 11-28-2003 10:58 PM

Go race with Chris and you'll be taken care of. He's the hardest working man in offshore racing today! His boats haul ass and are safe too! BH

cnc0329 11-29-2003 04:11 PM

If you ask me I would say don't but thats because I heard he treats his employees like ****. although he is very generous to his customers. But I still wouldn't put too much faith in him just from what i heard. Use your own judgement.

Scott B 11-29-2003 04:31 PM

Ahh, I was getting tired of turkey anyway.. Break out the popcorn :D

Scott B

glassdave 11-29-2003 04:35 PM

tell ya what . . .i hapen to do some work for Chris and have gotten to know him over the last few years an i have alot of faith in him. he has been WAY more than fair with me. he is probably one of the hardest working guys in the sport. ( that . . we already know :D )

cnc0329- dont know who you are but please be real careful with that type of comment. especially if its somthing you "heard". have you worked with Chris? if you have than you may know me. Dave Sikorski, the guy up in toledo that does the graphics and glass work. not try'n to start a pi$$in contest hear but there has been alot of time and effort put into the OneDesign program and you need better info than from some disgrunteled x employee

getreal 11-29-2003 04:37 PM

I drive a Super Cat and had a chance to throttle a “Bat Boat” last year in Key West. It was the most fun I ever had (well except for the two blondes). Poker Runs are great but you gotta try a Bat Boat at least once.

glassdave 11-29-2003 04:41 PM

hey getreal . . i have been playing with batboats for a while now . . . . any chance i could try your supercat . . .or the two blondes for that matter :D :D :D

getreal 11-29-2003 06:36 PM

The Super Cat is stored in FL. We put together a new SCL. YOU bring over two blondes and and we'll talk. :)

Amy 11-29-2003 06:44 PM

cnc0329-
Unfortunately I knew I wasn't the only person who thought that way. I worked with those boats when they first came into racing and when the One Design was starting. I also raced in a 28ft. in 2000. Maybe someone has learned since I was apart of it but here in Cincy many people know that lepords don't change their spots and what you have heard is very correct. I unfortunately know from first hand experience. Many people think they have done a lot for offshore racing which is probably true but just remember looks are always deceiving. As for safety I hope things have changed. I almost lost my life in a 28ft. from the Bahamas to Florida because of a poorly built boat and people who thought they knew everything and never properly prepared the trip. As glassdave says we don't want to start a pissing contest but if there has been so much effort in the One Design why are there still only 3-5 boats per race after 3 years?

glassdave 11-29-2003 07:19 PM

Originally posted by getreal
The Super Cat is stored in FL. We put together a new SCL. YOU bring over two blondes and and we'll talk. :)
i'll see what i can do :D :D

SS930 11-29-2003 07:26 PM

Are these race boats only? I've never seen one in person. What do they go for? Power? That link above doesnt show much.

Steve_H 11-29-2003 07:31 PM

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/0/59682570.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/2/59970092.htm

glassdave 11-29-2003 07:47 PM

the 24's are pretty much race only, definetly porpose built, 320 HP volvo GXi with the DPX drive . the 28's however has some room on them with a small cuddy cabin. they also run the dualprop drive but with big blocks.

28 is a sweet riding boat.

in the PowerBoat mag article it has the boat at a base price of 75K,that was from 2002.

man im posting alot tonight :D :D :D . . bored as hell with nuthin ta do :rolleyes: :D :p

glassdave 11-29-2003 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
now i ask you . . . does this look like a happy customer :D :D :D

Steve_H 11-29-2003 08:04 PM

they definately have a cool factor but i doubt they would be very user freindly for pleasure use.

im surprized i havent seen one on loto.
how tough are they to dock or raft off with a vee bottom?

HyperBaja 11-29-2003 08:04 PM

I was surprised when I saw them real life. Really low to the water, and no rubrail.

packinair 11-29-2003 08:04 PM

Originally posted by cnc0329
If you ask me I would say don't but thats because I heard he treats his employees like ****. although he is very generous to his customers. But I still wouldn't put too much faith in him just from what i heard. Use your own judgement.
Yet ANOTHER NOOB that has a wopping 4 posts that make's a "i heard" comment. Well from what I have heard and what I KNOW, you are wrong. I recall having a VERY nice dinner at a race with chris and his crew, I sat and talked with his crew without Chris around for a long time, NEVER heard a bad comment from them, these guys work their asses off to make this program what it is.
Scott Farmer

glassdave 11-29-2003 08:07 PM

hehe . . . .he said NOOB . . . . hehe :p :p

packinair 11-29-2003 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to add

glassdave 11-29-2003 08:12 PM

lotoparty- there kinda like a jetski fer two . . with a roof :D . actually i came up with a rafting system for these that works pretty well. but you do hafta be on the outside.

getreal 11-29-2003 08:14 PM

Originally posted by HyperBaja
I was surprised when I saw them real life. Really low to the water, and no rubrail.

I guess that means you've never been to the river or for a ride in a "Hydro"

Madcow 11-29-2003 08:49 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty
they definately have a cool factor but i doubt they would be very user freindly for pleasure use.

im surprized i havent seen one on loto.
how tough are they to dock or raft off with a vee bottom?

I don't know. Dave and I ran one in a color cruse this fall and it was a BLAST. They are no more one dimensional than any other race boat converted to pleasure use.

Steve_H 11-29-2003 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Madcow
I don't know. Dave and I ran one in a color cruse this fall and it was a BLAST. They are no more one dimensional than any other race boat converted to pleasure use.
hmmmm......maybe i need to take a ride in one. sure be cool to have the only one on loto :cool:

glassdave 11-29-2003 09:06 PM

that was an interesting run. . . us in a race boat (had to pull the oxegen tanks to make room for the cooler :D
) and about 40 cruisers. needless to say we were the first to the stops :D .

packinair 11-30-2003 12:19 AM

Originally posted by glassdave
that was an interesting run. . . us in a race boat (had to pull the oxegen tanks to make room for the cooler :D
) and about 40 cruisers. needless to say we were the first to the stops :D .

Well that is cause I was stuck on a freakin sandbar:mad:

Scott B 11-30-2003 06:52 AM

OK, so this one on boat trader:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/0/59682570.htm

Why the weird trailer?

Why a triple axle? Are they that heavy?

There is one hanging on davits here in Miami for the past couple years. I do not think it has ever moved. One day i need to stop in and offer to run it for him :D :D :D

Scott B

Packin said noob :)

CigBoat 11-30-2003 07:31 PM

I have been rafted off of a 28 with my baja and it was really no problem at all they had a large fender up front and a smaller one on the wing.
As far as Chris treating people that work for him bad I can't say that I belive that, I have talked to a few of them at races over the past few two years and everyone seemed happy not saying that it is easy work but they seemed to be having some fun.
I havent had the chance to drive one yet but being from Cincy alot of my boating buddies have and they say they are a blast!
By the way my name is Todd Lahey whats yours:p

Allan4 11-30-2003 08:18 PM

The bat boats are an absolute blast to drive!! Anyone who has ever driven them has always had great things to say about them. As for Chris, he has bent over backwards to help me out several times and you will have a hard time finding a nicer guy. I am gald he is in Cincy and very gald I have gotten to know him.

I know most of the guys who work for him and while it is not all fun and games, they seem to have alot of fun and do alot of neat things, as far as racing is concerned. I have never heard any of the employees say bad things about him. My .02

I hate seeing this stuff on the internet...the good and bad of the web I guess....

C_Spray 11-30-2003 08:39 PM

I guess that I should be flattered, but both of those boats are rip-offs of my paint scheme. :confused: (See link below.)

I've had my 28 (Swedish kevlar hull) since 1997, and have run it in events from Biscayne Bay to 1000 Islands. It's currently undergoing a freshen-up on the paint, some re-rigging, and will hit the water next spring with a fresh 600 and DPX-A. As far as it's ride qualities go, just ask DaveP, Shanghaied Again, Tantrum or Shane (among others). If you're in the Northern Cheasapeake, maybe we can get together for a ride...