Notices

Who splashed the cat???

Old 12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Miller
1.......Come again? Don't understand what you're trying to say. Being someone without the requisite knowledge to spot a pop at 100 yards, I'd like to better understand what you're referencing.

2.......Lastly, how much influence can a new design reference, borrow or show and still be considered a truly original design? In automobiles certain new models often influence later releases by the competition but the later releases are still original designs (think of how the original Dodge Caravan spawned a whole generation of mini-vans).

Thanks.
1. Not all "pops" look exactly like the original. In some cases only the hull is used...after being cut down.....or drawn and quartered...it may take on a whole different appearance..... This is generally done by a more ambitious (or sneaky) pop "artist".... It still stinks. I have seen numerous pops that consist of..say... the forward 80% and bottom (up to the chines or top spray rail only)...... In this way the "splasher" can delude himself and others that he "built" an original plug..... when he fact he merely pasted different sides and a deck on somebody else's hull design (the business end if you will). A current favorite of mine is the boat, (nameless here) that consists of a 21 Shadow...with an extra 6 feet added to the stern.....as a "step".
Presto the "builder" got a proven bow and forward entry section, primary planing surface...beautiful lines and no cost..... Of course the fact that the aft section looks like it was designed in a high school carpentry class goes unnoticed.

2. Ford did not take a mold off of the Caravan........ and if they had would have undoubtedly suffered a lawsuit of epic proportions. A truly unique design (say the deep Vee of Ray Hunt)can revolutionize boating. Most hulls are derivative...and that's fine as long as you start with a blank sheet of paper. Let's face it... If you and I set out to design a 16 foot tunnel hull.... the end results will have more similarities than differences.... However, the fact that mine is 30 mph faster..... doesn't give every third party yahoo the "right" to rip it off.

T2x
Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
Let's face it... If you and I set out to design a 16 foot tunnel hull.... the end results will have more similarities than differences.... However, the fact that mine is 30 mph faster..... doesn't give every third party yahoo the "right" to rip it off.

T2x
30 MPH faster? I'd hope your boat would top 30 MPH. Having no experience in this field, mine would probably either sink or run sideways. Thus, the top speed of your design would equal the difference in speed between designs!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

Shane, I think you said American offshore was a splash from a Shawdow. They bought the old Chris Cat molds. Ask Ed Ferro he goes by the name fasteddie I think.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 31 AO

Yes, the 31 AO is from the Chris Cat molds. They bought them from Chris Craft. This design was way ahead of it's time.

wannabe
Old 12-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
Not......

T2x
T2x-
So what's the scoop with the 30' Spectre then???

I thought it was an original plug and your friend GL even did some consulting on it.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Registered

Apache21 and wannabe,
Thanks for correcting my mix-up.

TopSpin,
Thanks for explaining reverse angles.

Miller,
You ask too many questions. Go back to business school.

Shane
Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Don99

T2x that boat co. wouldn't start with a K would it ?