Notices

Polishing IMRON

Old 12-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing IMRON

I'm looking for input for polishing an IMRON paint job. Any suggestions as to which is best method and best polish ?

Also, can an electric buffer be used successfully without damage to the paint ?

Thanks for any input here.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want to polish a paint job that has dulled out and has little scratches in it try using a polishing compound to bring the luster back with a buffer and a foam or wool pad if you have a fresh paint job that you want to look like glass you will have to sand with 1000-1500 sand paper and use a buffing compound to remove the sand paper scratches then swicth to a polishing compound to remove the buffing compound scratches for clarity. i have sanded many clear coat imron paint jobs to end with a sleek as glass finish but be prepared to work your a$$ off cured imron is like a rock i would use a wool pad to start with because it will cut better then switch to a foam pad for the final polishing 3M makes a super duty compound for the first hard buff that will cut the imron but it will leave buffing scratch so you will need to switch to micro finish buffing compound and a new pad then after you have removed the super duty scratchs with micro finish switch over to a finess polishing compound to remove the micro scratches and that should bring you to a clear as glass finish alot of work for imron most new auto finishes can be buffed with a different system that makes it easier and less time consuming but imron is tuff stuff and the above procedure is what i have found to work.

forgot to mention use a sanding block to sand not your bare hands.

later
Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would Aquabuff work on Imron?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Absolutly