Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65343-buiding-shop-personal-use-ideas.html)

Wardey 12-04-2003 08:57 AM

Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

I am building a personal shop and am looking for ideas and should have's to those who have done the same. The size needs to stay at 30' Deep by 40' Wide. It will have 10' ceilings with a 16' Roll Up door. I will have a 8'x8' Bathroom including shower. Any imput? Thanks, Dave

buck183 12-04-2003 09:05 AM

Yeah....build it bigger then what you think you need, then ad another 2,000 sq ft.

;)

Buck

Audiofn 12-04-2003 09:06 AM

You can not put to much electric capacity in there. Make sure you have a plug at leaste every 6 feet (code is 8) Make sure you have plenty of circuits also. Do not just run all the plugs on one circuit. I ussually in a shop will run no more then 4 plugs on one 20 amp breaker. Run 12 ga wire also, it does not add much at all to the cost but will allow you to run 20 amp plugs and breakers if you need. I also like pull downs in the middle of the shop and over any work areas so that you can be on the boat and not have wires draped all over the side and what not. Use good ones of those as well (I paid 150 bucks each for mine that are rated for 20 amps).

Do some research on how to properly rout your air also. You need to make traps and use cast pipe. The in thing to do now seems to be to make the air lines with PVC. That is the easiest way but if you want to do it correctly then use cast as it is going to cool the air better. A radiator in your air system is a VERY good thing to have and you can find what they are sapposed to look like on the web or I can explain it for you if you can not.

Lighting LOTS OF IT nuff said :D:D

Good luck

Jon

OBNOXUS21 12-04-2003 09:23 AM

Well my first suggestion was a bathroom, but you have got that one covered. My next would have been insulation, but you live in FLA.

So now all I could suggest is an office and a couch 'cause you never know when you might need that ;) :p
Plus going bigger will never hurt!!!!!!!!!

Iggy 12-04-2003 10:03 AM

If I couild have the shop I wanted.........
It would have:
a lathe
Bridgeport mill
surface grinder
drill press
hydraulic press
cutoff saw
ac/dc welder
and plenty of bench space.

Cord 12-04-2003 10:13 AM

I'd put in a higher ceiling than 10'.

open87 12-04-2003 10:22 AM

i am having one installed 30x40. actually i did the framing but had to hire pro's to insulate and sheet. i will post pics when i get home. center is 12 high walls 10. they showed up this morning with the boom truck to put the pack of sheets up on the roof. should be completed today. i'm getting a boner:D it is costly though, 37 yards concrete , labor 5200.00 . building kit itself was 8500.00 included insulation and gutter package. labor to finish as mentioned above 3 g's
doors 4 12w x 10 h from overhead door co. 2700. installed. hopefully i will have the lights in next weekend and epoxy the floor. ordering industrial shelving monday to have storage and a work table. and then roll in that killer stainless tool box i got monday. then i will make the trip and go get my cig!!! then it's party time. i will have glass out the azz:D :D :crazy: :rolleyes:

buckknekkid 12-04-2003 10:55 AM

like this?

:fish:

Playn 12-04-2003 11:01 AM

mine is 60 x 60 with a 16' ceiling. I'd put in plenty of lighting and as was previously mentioned, plenty of electrical. Might want to think about running an air line around the perimeter with connections spaced every so often as well. I'd mention bathroom but you've got that covered already;). Even though your in FL have you thought about any heating?

THEJOKER 12-04-2003 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My shop has numerous I- BEAMS in the ceiling. You'll appreciate the ability to pick up just about anything. I'd highly reccomend doing this in your new shop. Other things to think about:

Do you want the air compressor outside or in?

Pre wire for some tunes?

Security system ?

That's Warren w/ High Priority in the picture.

Good luck Dave - BH

clearcut3 12-04-2003 11:08 AM

Some things I have to have:

1) Bathroom- you got covered (definitely a shower)

2) If you don't need the full height of the garage in an area I would build a loft area to store stuff in that you don't use often. otherwise I always end up with clutter everywhere.

3) A Kegerator is a MUST:D

4) An ice machine would be good too

mcollinstn 12-04-2003 11:22 AM

That's a big door. You need to figure out what you want to do about lighting in the door area. If you put your lights above the door track, then when it is open, the door will block the light. I have seen guys attach the door tracks all the way up as far as they will go, then they put a couple of 8' flourescents crosswise hung from the track brackets. You only gotta make a custom opener link to keep it tucked up high so you can keep the lights high. Other option is a side mounted opener that spins the cable pulleys (commercial style).

I use quad outlet boxes everywhere. It's dirt cheap to add them on the front end. At my factory, we ran quad boxes, and had each duplex outlet on a different circuit (not each outlet in the shop, but in one quad box, we had one pair on A and one pair on B).

I like copper for air lines. It's WAY more durable than plastic if you plan to run 150psi, and just as fast and easy to join (iron is a pain with all the cutting and threading).

Add two floor drains. If you don't want to slope the floor much towards the drains, then make the floor flat, but the drains are a lifesaver.

Run water to both ends of the bldg. Not just where the bath is.

At least two strong overhead lifting points where you can attach a hoist. Gotta engineer that in now, not later.

Then all I can think to add would be
gas-fired pizza oven.
dance floor with big pole to the ceiling.

SummerObsession 12-04-2003 11:46 AM

As mentioned before, size does matter!;)
Mine is 60x80. I built mine to house a race transport truck (semi truck with 48' trailer 13'6" tall), so one side of my shop has doors (12x14') on each end to drive through withthe semi. I have on other door that is 20'x14' wide.
It great, but it kind of limits your options as far as storage goes, unless you don't want to open the door.

It is metal beam clear-span construction, built with a 100+ mph wind load rating (actually necessary out here in Western Ks.)
I would NEVER have a beam in the middle of the shop! You will be amazed how many times it will be in the way.
I have radiant heat (would do floor heat next time) and water, electrical, and air outlets on every beam in the center of the outside walls (3 on each wall, 20' spacing).
I aslo have additional outlets on the wall with benches. I built a 15'x15' room in the far corner that is split in the middle to house a toilet, shop sink, etc. , and the other side houses the air compressor.
I haven't finished it yet, but I plan on insulating the interior wall of the room and plumbing the air intake of the compressor thru the exterior wall to reduce noise (you can't believe how much that helps!).
I used double 2x10's in the roof of the building to store anything necessary (including motors) above the room.
Haven't bilt the electric hoist yet, but that is easy with metal beams.
I'll take some pics sometime and post them.

Cash Bar 12-04-2003 01:02 PM

I will be building a 30'x50' building this spring. I am keeping track of the great suggestions.

I already planned to put doors on both ends so I can just pull right through with the boat. I'm also adding full bath with a door facing the pool. I definitely will be putting an auto-recoil carwash type hose overhead to wash the whole rig. Planning for 3-4 center floor drains.

I'll post as we build.

Greg

TopSpin80 12-04-2003 01:06 PM

go taller than 10' on the eves. The taller you go the cooler the show will be in the summer. My dad's construction company erects buildings but on a much large scale. And as far as roof vents. If you can leave them out of the picture. The always leak and don't provide much of a benefit. I know there is probably someone here that will argue with that, but I have ran crews and put up about 10 buildings over 7000 sqft. And too many smaller ones to count. If I were to build one for myself, which I have, and I didn't alread have the materials I would buy a whirlwind kit. And if I didn't know what I was doing I would hire an erector to come out and put it up. Their are a lot of other kits around too, but we pretty much use whirlwind because they haven't given us any trouble.

If you have any specific questions just write me at
[email protected]
or write them here...... I'll try to help ya out.
Ernie

Havasu Cig 12-04-2003 01:07 PM

Floor drains is a good suggestion...I wish I had put them in mine. All the other suggestions are good as well.

Phantom1 12-04-2003 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. No it isn't mine......I wish.

rchevelle71 12-04-2003 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by CASH BAR
I will be building a 30'x50' building this spring. I am keeping track of the great suggestions.

I already planned to put doors on both ends so I can just pull right through with the boat. I'm also adding full bath with a door facing the pool. I definitely will be putting an auto-recoil carwash type hose overhead to wash the whole rig. Planning for 3-4 center floor drains.

I'll post as we build.

Greg

Greg,

Where did ya buy, that will let ya put that big of a building up???? Damn Dude, thats like the size of my lot here in Boca!!!!! Sounds like you are up in "WEST" West palm Beach, the "acreage" area maybe??????? I have friends that built up there last year, beutiful place, as long as you dont have to commute too far. Here is my storage area!!!!! Dont laugh too hard, the Van was left over from the divorce, gots me a Z-71 now!!!!!

Rick

Wildchild212 12-04-2003 01:58 PM

As a few have stated go with 16 foot ceilings, you will be glad you did when it come to pulling the motors in the boat. Also a cool idea is to do the walls and ceiling in white tin, like what you would use out side walls of a poleshed. This looks awesome and is about the easiest to clean, and dont have to worry if the walls get wet while washing. I would also use alot of insulation. even though you are in Florida you will want this so that your ac unit that you put in does not have to run all of the time. ;) There is nothing better then ac in really cool garage or shed. Next look at painting the floor. there are alot of cool colored floor paints out there. Good luck and have fun. :D

Tantrum 12-04-2003 02:00 PM

Electric was my biggest concern,
think where your going to want 220 for welders, compressor ect.
I also put 110 duplexes in the ceiling just in case and for retractable extension cords.
Lots of lighting, dont hang 1 over a car, hang 2 on either side so you dont get shadows.
Speaker wire, I ran wires from the cabinets (where stereo is) to all four corners (use speaker wire plates)
Air line will be PVC to front and back door and retractable hose reals overhead.
Alarm, I alarmed everything separately this way you can tell if it a false trip by seeing if one or more zones trip.
Garage door openers, run heavy gage wire to switches and infra red eyes' (on new doors, crush sensors) with the electrical.
Drains in floor, need um
Overhead I beam to mount rolling hoist, see if you cant get enough height to pull motors from boat with it on the trailer.
All my storage is either open wire rack or closed cabinets. As many things as possible on the open racks are in plastic bins, the idea was to be able to clean with a leaf blower.
I also built a lean-two type shed outside to store things like racks and shovels that never look organized.
The topper is a nice epoxy floor and some race banners.

klaw 12-04-2003 02:03 PM

floor heat

Tantrum 12-04-2003 02:09 PM

One more biggie
DSL or cable modem so you can surf OSO.
I was thinking of this the other night, Flat panel screen mounted to the wall and CPU under counter. Also might be helpful for ordering parts online while you are thinking....I wish I had a...

SummerObsession 12-04-2003 02:19 PM

These are good. I did build mine on a 24" stemwall for ease of washing.
The south half of my floor is sloped toward a 2'x2' drain pit, while the North half was laser level flat for setting up race cars.;)

The flat half is defintely harder to clean, but it has come in very handy for assembling, framing, etc.
I used a white epoxy paint with a clear coat. Also painted a coo blue and red 12'x4' NHRA logo in the middle.
Turned out pretty slick, literally.:p

jafo 12-04-2003 03:34 PM

Don't forget the skylights- I have four, (2 each side) in the roof of my 30x40. Never need the lights on except for the gloomiest of days.

Johno 12-04-2003 04:07 PM

Hey Wardey

If you need any help with the electrical I am licensed Electrcial contractor in your area. Maybe I can help if you need it. I will be headed out of the country for 2 weeks & get back just before xmas. I can also help with Gen. contractor & permitting.
Don't forget Cuda is a tiling contractor...you have friends you not used yet:D :D
Later John

JPD Motorsports 12-04-2003 06:12 PM

I'm in the process of building mine right now. it is a 30x70x15. 3 garage doors off centered on the 30 walls with a garage door on the 70 wall. Also 2 windows on the 70 wall and an entry door seperate on the same 70 wall. I did a 6" concrete floor 3500' heavy fiber mesh with the wire and pins in the concrete. did a wanes coat on the exterior to break it up in the colors. I would also recommend an oversized footing so that you can have a brick ledge or stone ledge fo rthat fact so if you want to change the metal out to brick its there. floor drains and an xtra pad off the back side to clean all the nasty stuff with and plumb the whole thing with water electric and air both inside and along the outer edges so you can anything you want. Also a lift beem is a good idea as well.

East Coast B 12-04-2003 06:56 PM

What are you planning on putting in this garage? That will answer a lot of questions as too what you really need... If your going to put a boat in there, 30' deep isn't going to get you anything past a 26' boat on a trailer.. And extra height won't buy you anything either if your not going to a bigger boat at some future point or not using it for a boat at all...

When doing the electric, whenever you say "I don't need anything there" put it there!!! It's easier to not use it than to rewire it later.... specially when the box, outlet and little wire costs just cents to do up front.

My garage is stick frame 34' deep and I should have built it 60' deep. I have some of the walls insulated, but built shelves inbetween the studs in other areas for storage of oil, antifreeze and many other small items. Each shelf is strategically sized for specific items.

I also put a 10 pitch roof on which gives me major storage via a permanent staircase. I used storage trusses to build the roof, love all the storage space which is very easily accessible.

AGain, let us know what your planning on storing in there and that will narrow a lot of the ideas being thrown around. Think you'll get some great insight...

Another item, if you garage doors will be getting hit with rain, notch the concreet 1/2" so the door sets a little lower than your garage floor, it will keep water from backing into your garage... this may not be an issue for you...

Instead of a regular man door near my workbench area, I put in a double door set just in case I needed to get anything wider than 36" through. Basically saves me from having to move any vehicles around to get stuff in and out.....

getreal 12-04-2003 07:31 PM

If you’re married you better put in a place for a bed.

When the wife gets pissed at you for spending too much time there your covered (dog house).

Built it bigger than you need (your friends will have a place for there stuff). Trust me, it WILL happen.

open87 12-04-2003 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got home late but this is how my project stands as of today. gutters done tomorrow ,doors monday or tuesday. doesn't matter where you live , put in insulation. skylights, don't like them . in the summer that sun comes right through. i can always add on to the front if needed but 40 deep is good for me. will mount 24 8 ft flourescent lights and split them into 4 sections on the switches. a/c will go in come spring time plus all the other amenities. then i can get back to completing my restoration on the cig:eureka: :D :D

Steve 1 12-04-2003 10:02 PM

Dave lots of E-Bay !

R Addiction 12-04-2003 10:04 PM

Dave, I'll rent a 20x20 room in the building from ya!! It's too damn cold up here!! Sounds like a nice building, Good Luck!!;)

Cash Bar 12-04-2003 11:06 PM

Rchevelle(Rick), You guessed it right!
I bought in the Acreage in Royal Palm Beach. I got 1.25 acres and a beauty 5yr. old house. I gotta have the building space, 1/2 for my boat,1/2 for Amanda's kennels.
Pool and out-building should both go in around March.

I will be having a house-warming party in late Jan./early Feb. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Wardey 12-05-2003 07:44 AM

Thanks for the Imput !!! It's already grew since yesterday to a 30 x 45. Yes it will have an office, bathroom w/ shower, Air Jacks in the walls, extensive lighting, a/c - heat, along with a patio deck on the rear !!! Dumpster is being delivered today so I start cutting and cleaning the site.

Johno - Thanks. I'm also a elect. contractor in (2) states and own a Construction Management company so I think I have the bases covered but I appreciate the offer. Might need some help breaking in the place at the "Topping Off" party !!!

RAddiction - The 45' bay is 20' wide so we can stick your boat in there also. :D :D Come on down.

Thanks to all for the help !!!! Dave Warden

jafo 12-05-2003 07:51 AM

wardey- Are you stick building or going with a steel structure? If you are thinking about steel, I've got a few ideas for you....;)

I think open72 is right about the skylights- probably too much heat would be let in by them down where you live-up here, we need all we can get!:)
Jim

Wardey 12-05-2003 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some "before" pic's. Not much but it is on a 120 x 70 lot. Stand on the roof and see the Gulf !!! Dave

Wardey 12-05-2003 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another.....

Wardey 12-05-2003 07:55 AM

Hey Jafo - I'm doing block. No skylights here. As you say, too much heat and always a leak problem. Thanks, Dave

Wardey 12-05-2003 07:58 AM

By the way, anyone priced plywood lately? $20.00 per sheet !!! 6 months ago it was $10.00 per sheet, they say it's because we are sending alot over to Iraq to rebuild and it is driving the prices up. Now that sucks !!!! Not only are we rebuilding the bastards but we have to pay the price upgrades also....:mad: :mad: :mad: Dave

rchevelle71 12-05-2003 08:13 AM

Originally posted by CASH BAR
Rchevelle(Rick), You guessed it right!
I bought in the Acreage in Royal Palm Beach. I got 1.25 acres and a beauty 5yr. old house. I gotta have the building space, 1/2 for my boat,1/2 for Amanda's kennels.
Pool and out-building should both go in around March.

I will be having a house-warming party in late Jan./early Feb. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Greg,

Great Move!!!! if I can ever get my A$$ in gear, and the job maket ever comes back, that is where my next home will be. As it is now, I live in West Boca, and Commute to Hollywood every day(30 miles each way, but it seems like 100 with rush hour traffic through Lauderdale). I bought a townhouse in North Lauderale before moving down, moved in , and the first night my moving truck got stolen, that place lasted about 3 months before I decided there was no place nice in Broward County, that I could afford to live, and another 3 months to find my house, and close. I had never looked in Boca before, because I assumed it was way out of my range, til I discovered West Boca, its like a whole different world out there, kinda redneckish, but unfortunately the propertys are still small, I would like the land, coming from CT originally, I am used to lots no smaller than 1/2 acre, as it is, the West wall of my house is the property line(zero lot property), and I have 16 feet to the neighbors West wall on the other side, just enough to "HIDE" the boat behind a 6' fence. I need to find a job up that way before everyone else discovers it, and the prices go Boca on us!!!!! Let me know if ya open that Bar, maybe I'll have to go to bartending school.

Rick

open87 12-05-2003 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Wardey
By the way, anyone priced plywood lately? $20.00 per sheet !!! 6 months ago it was $10.00 per sheet, they say it's because we are sending alot over to Iraq to rebuild and it is driving the prices up. Now that sucks !!!! Not only are we rebuilding the bastards but we have to pay the price upgrades also....:mad: :mad: :mad: Dave
think the gov bought like half million sheets and sent over there. palm coast is nice . i went out there in april and stayed with cruboss, that is a really nice area:cool: