Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas... >

Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas...

Notices

Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas...

Old 12-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

I have had 2 6L Chevys. The first was a 2002 1500HD crew cab 4x4, 4.10 gears. I left that truck completely stock and pulled a 29' powerboat with ease.

I recently traded that in and purchased a 2003 LT 6L crew cab 4x4, 4.10 gears. I put 20' wheels and 325/50r20 Nitto NT404 tires on it and the ride is much smoother.

I now pull 13000# (10000 boat, 3000 trailer) with this truck with the new boat and before I ever towed with it, I thought the truck would die. To my suprised it handled it well.

70-72 is about as fast as I can go pulling to keep the mileage up around 7-8. I have found that if I go 75 it decreases a lot. Also, for me, the wind starts to play with the boat above 70 a little to much.

I have a magna flow exhaust system and an air intake called Pro Cold by Pro Dyno (see www.prodyno.com). The air intake alone adds 30HP (I think). I know for a fact that on the 5.3L the intake Pro Dyno manufactures and sells adds 28HP. I had my truck on the dyno with these mods and it came out with 340HP.

Fuel mileage sucks no matter which way you look at it. I have experience with the 6 and 8.1 and they are almost the same in MPG. With the 6L in town stop lights, etc.) pulling the boat, I only get 4.5-5 MPG. On the Highway it is 7-8MPG.

You will have plenty of power for a 29' boat with a stock 6L. Get that air intake, it is very easy to install and the power will be even better.

The only other thing I am adding is the bigger fuel tank. If you drop the 26 you can replace it with a 45 that fits under the truck. I'm doing this in Feb, for about $1000.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Here is a picture of my set up.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas...-trailer3.jpg  
Old 12-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Dark is called Graphite.
Light grey is called Pewter.

You want the Pewter. It wears the best of all of them, (leather wise).

When the Pewter leather begins to crack a little, and show age, the cracks are white, and blend right in. In the Graphite, the cracks are white, and stick out like a sore thumb. On the Saddle (light brown) leather, the cracks turn black, and look awful. I have had all three GM leather colors, and trust me, you want the light grey. It is easier to keep the dirt off a light interior than to keep the lint off a dark interior, (if you are as anal about your interior as I am). I also recommend the Catch All Floor Mats... any truck accessories house can get them. I LOVE mine.

http://www.cargoliner.com/catchall.asp
Old 12-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Registered

I love these gasser stories!!!! I read these 4 pages and didn't see any mention of resale value of a gas vs diesel. Just for kicks call up your favorite dealership and ask if they got any gassers with 60,000 miles on them and then ask if they got any diesels with the same equipment and same miles. When he has 2 trucks, one with gas and one with diesel, tell him you'll give him the same money for both and see if he laughs at you.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2000 2500 Hd 6.0
Garbage engine, will never own one again.
Ratteled like a diesel when started for about 4 min', just junk in my eyes.
Very loose engine in design.
I pulled the same boat 1,500 mls 3 differant times with 3 differant trucks.
1st 3500 duelley 454 xtended cab. = 5Mph
2nd 2500Hd 3 door short box. = 5 Mph
3rd 1500 3 dr short box. = 7 Mph
Trailer weight W/Boat 8,900
All three trucks did the same damn thing, same speed, differant ride for each.
comfort the same for Humans!!.
Last time out of water In Pompano Bch Fl, I could not get it out of water do to the ramp was very steep/green/wet.
Oh well, another boater pulled me with His truck. Oh yeah, he also could not get his boat out on same ramp.
All in al, the Chevy duelley 454 is the truck for the long haul. But for every day
scooting around, c1500 Silverado W/ buckects is awesome and gets 20Mph to and from work, then when needed, hook up and run to Fl, then the Bahamas Baby. The heck with this country. Reggei and wild women!!.
My 2 cents B3
Old 12-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Registered

My 3500 6.5L TD Dually Pulls great and is very comfortable on the long haul. Just that its a bit large for every day driving. Otherwise, I would probably hold on to it.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by outlawinil
I love these gasser stories!!!! I read these 4 pages and didn't see any mention of resale value of a gas vs diesel. Just for kicks call up your favorite dealership and ask if they got any gassers with 60,000 miles on them and then ask if they got any diesels with the same equipment and same miles. When he has 2 trucks, one with gas and one with diesel, tell him you'll give him the same money for both and see if he laughs at you.
But, that D truck costs about $6,500, or more at the start. No, you won't get your money back. Yes, the diesel will be worth more at the end..we know this, man.

I can get the gas truck and pay the balance at delivery. I'll have to finance if I go with the D. Not worth it. I drove them both. Believe it or not, but the 6.0 gas is just as quick as the same truck with the dmax. Yes, I know the Dmax will pull better.

No, I haven't written off just keeping what I have. I'm just waiting to see what numbers Johnny throws at me...

The 2500 is nice, but I don't think that chassis is good enough to get me to put more than 10,000 behnind it. SO having the Diesel in that truck isn't much help.
Now if I was looking at another crew dually, it would be the dmax without question.

It's terrible to hear what Bravo III says about the 6.0. Others mentioned the rattle, but nobody was as displeased as you are....
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas...-boat-truck.jpg  
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 12-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

You wanna hear the rattle??? I'll fire it up cold for ya.

Its not that bad, but then again, I only have 29,000 miles on mine,, Who has run these motors past 100,000, does it get any worse?????
Old 12-12-2003, 10:25 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

did I forget to tell you I gave it back to the dealer for the lemon law we have here in the states. I know they just resold this buggy, oh well. But it pounded so bad that I frindged upon starting each and every time. This was in the summer also. Hate to see how bad it knocked in the winter @ 3 degrees like it was today in WI.
I had the normal piston slap, but wrist pins and rods where just to much for me.
Start in a garage, and run thinking =
She going to BLOW!. Ha, Ha.
I am serious as a bad habit on this subject.
B3
Old 12-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Registered

I only know 3 guys with 6L. All three brag on whose rattles the loudest at boat club meetings. I can't help but think a rattle at no-load will not get any better with a boat on behind.

Quick Reply: Opinions on GM 2500HD with 6.0 gas...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.