Notices

OT: Coolest driveway?...

Old 12-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the people out where I work have heated driveways. I think that is awesome No salt no shoveling. How much more $$ is that on the price? and How much is it for the lights?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't need heated driveways in coastal Texas: thankfully. If we did, then all of my Papaya and Mangos would freeze!

Here's our drive: 6" thick, 14' wide, stamped and colored edges and a large stamped and colored area in front of the garage. Sidewalk is Pavestone.

With the edges stamped and colored black: it's easy to maintain.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's the sidewalk area, Pavestone can be used for a driveway too.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:17 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dueclaws
We don't need heated driveways in coastal Texas: thankfully. If we did, then all of my Papaya and Mangos would freeze!

Here's our drive: 6" thick, 14' wide, stamped and colored edges and a large stamped and colored area in front of the garage. Sidewalk is Pavestone.

With the edges stamped and colored black: it's easy to maintain.

I don't wanna be picky, but you really gotta pay more attention to da lawn.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:37 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

i have been looking into stamped concreate a couple of masons here in nj have like 50 paterns from squares to fans of bricks to what looks like rock walksways they stain then to what ever colors you want and clear coat them the clear fills in the voids and seals the joints so it does not trap the dirt. i spoke to some home owners that had it done 2-3 years ago and they stil look great min maint. re seal every 3 years they say. also looked into pavers have to re sand every 2-3 years and have to fix settling after 1 1/2 years and aprox every 2 years espesaly where car tires sit. looking for any input from any oso
Old 12-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Marc- ???
Due
Old 12-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is our driveway, its agrigate..Its not really creative, I just like how it goes through the trees and to the house, kind of cool
Attached Thumbnails OT: Coolest driveway?...-street.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 01:35 PM

Reckless,

If the slab is more than about 25' in width or length, you'll need to have expansion joints. There are metal expansion joints the finisher can put in or you can have them cut the slab. The idea is to control where cracks will form. Your concern is not winter, but hot summer. The heat will cause the slab to expand unevenly and then crack. I used to live in Chesapeake and you may remember 15 years ago when I-64 used to buckle during the really hot days during the summer.

Once the slab cracks, the moisture and freezing during the winter cause more damage. If the finisher puts cuts in the slab, then you can put silicone sealer in the cut to keep the moisture out. They typically put tar in the cuts in commercial applications, but you don't want tar in your driveway.

I'm about to do our driveway...about 350' long and 60' wide in front of the garage. If I do the concrete work myself it will take longer but will last longer. If I go with asphalt, then It'll get done in a day or two but will have to be resealed annually. Sounds like a good project. See you nect year at the RPBA poker run.

Bill
Old 12-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Registered

nice places and nice driveways, But why spend money on concrete or asphalt ? Buy bigger boats, bigger motors,larger dinner tabs.