Like Tree0Likes

diamond plate in the engine area

Reply
Old 12-09-2003, 07:23 AM
  #11
WickedWon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do It

My experience, take the time to paint it. The natural shinny finish won't last and strong cleaners attack it instantly. Powder coating isn't very flexible and tends to fail at the flex points and lastly be sure you install it so it can be removed without to much work cause you're gonna need access under it eventually. We used L angles drilled and tapped where there was no natural bearing, have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
diamond plate in the engine area-wickedwon4-27-03-045.jpg  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:55 AM
  #12
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
tomtbone1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LAKE CONROE, TX
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU
Posts: 15,486
Default

so what's better powder coat or regular paint ? against salt and cleaners
tomtbone1993 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 AM
  #13
WickedWon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tomtbone1993
so what's better powder coat or regular paint ? against salt and cleaners
All the " two part" paints are more durable and more easily touched up than powder coating. The big Sportfishers and Yachts that work and live in the salt everyday are covered in Imron, Awlgrip ect... Even the natural teak and mahogany trim is covered in clear Awlgrip on the nicest rigs.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:22 AM
  #14
Charter Member #655
Charter Member
 
dyno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Holland, Michigan
My Boats: 1993 Sonic 31ss
Posts: 4,939
Default

so a plastic simulated diamond plate would be better.....
__________________
If your boat has a sail do you ride a horse to the ramp?
dyno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
  #15
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mequon, WI
My Boats: 8' row boat
Posts: 6,157
Default

That rubber stuff that was recommended in your thread would work nicely for the floor. Two draw backs: It's porus so oil will stain it and stuff is really heavy. On the other hand it's easier to cut an put down. One could try glueing it down with some daubs of silicone caulk.
Cord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 AM
  #16
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Thumbs up Re: Do It

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedWon
My experience, take the time to paint it. The natural shinny finish won't last and strong cleaners attack it instantly. Powder coating isn't very flexible and tends to fail at the flex points and lastly be sure you install it so it can be removed without to much work cause you're gonna need access under it eventually. We used L angles drilled and tapped where there was no natural bearing, have fun.
god thats nice.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 AM
  #17
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
My Boats: yeah....that one
Posts: 2,749
Default Re: Do It

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedWon
My experience, take the time to paint it. The natural shinny finish won't last and strong cleaners attack it instantly. Powder coating isn't very flexible and tends to fail at the flex points and lastly be sure you install it so it can be removed without to much work cause you're gonna need access under it eventually. We used L angles drilled and tapped where there was no natural bearing, have fun.

POWDERCOATING IS VERY FLEXIBLE.....WANT PROOF?
SLINGSHOT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
  #18
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
My Boats: yeah....that one
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedWon
All the " two part" paints are more durable and more easily touched up than powder coating. The big Sportfishers and Yachts that work and live in the salt everyday are covered in Imron, Awlgrip ect... Even the natural teak and mahogany trim is covered in clear Awlgrip on the nicest rigs.

WHEN THE PROPER MATERIALS ARE USED, POWDERCOATING HAS PROVEN IN TESTS TO WITHSTAND MORE HOURS OF SALTSPRAY TESTING THEN THE MAJORITY OF LIQUID PAINTS
SLINGSHOT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
insatiable
General Q & A
0
02-21-2007 10:52 PM
Fenderjack
Fountain
14
01-30-2007 08:21 PM
AeroSpeedMarine
Cigarette
16
06-29-2006 02:33 PM
bryanspeedracer
General Boating Discussion
18
08-12-2004 01:47 PM
ST31
Sonic
9
12-12-2003 08:00 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.