Notices

Cig-Fountain-Apache

Old 12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ocrob
Apache--well built,very heavy,need lots of power to move,that's why they are great in rough water-WEIGHT!!

Cigarette--great in rough water,not that heavy but still needs good power or go to stepped-bottom for speed but you may loss it in the rough water

Fountain--stepped-bottom great in calm water and fast,but not the first choice in rough water
My step bottom Top Gun handles rough water VERY well. Whomever tells you they don't is full of $hit.

I have not been in a lot of Fountains, but the ones I have been in don't feel nearly as stable in the rough. My.02
Old 12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear a lot about the mid 80s hulls being somewhat better than the new stepped hulls in Cig and Apache...maybe 80s hull with new sci's??????

what ya think
Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally posted by thedonz
I hear a lot about the mid 80s hulls being somewhat better than the new stepped hulls in Cig and Apache...maybe 80s hull with new sci's??????

what ya think
Better in what way??? My boat has run 81.3 on gps in fresh water with 1/2 tanks and a few hundred pounds of gear, and 80 in the salt with full tanks and 4 people.

I ran the boat in a poker run in 8-10' swells and was the second to finish behind a 42 Tiger.

It has been an awesome boat.

BTW: This is with stock 500 efi's.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SS930
Tick...tick... tick...
KABOOM!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Registered

I meant better in handling than stepped, obviously not faster hull for hull, the step has an advantage ther over non-stepped....

Havasu, do you find the hull loose in the turns? That is what I am concerned about in the newer stepped hulls.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Registered

I just called the bomb squad and they said that those mentioned are all fine products worthy of consideration but that all boats are compromises in some way so they have slightly different characteristics but none completely "sucks" in any situation you're likely to encounter...
Old 12-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Registered

seems to be a tougher call between Cig Gun and 41 Apache......I just don't see that many Fountains in the rough stuff.......

come to think of it, every time I see Reggie in one of his ads with his hair fighting to get out of his hairspray net...the water beneath the hull seems like glass....hmm
Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both old and new Cigarettes.

I have heard, and even have a good friend who has been thrown from a T/S. I just don't see how though without SOME driver error, which my friend admits. ( I don't mean you Sean, different circumstances)

If you trim all the way in and try to turn hard, you might get tossed. This is not how stepped boats are meant to be driven though. I can turn the hell out of my T/S, with the proper trim. I would NEVER try to crank the wheel at top speed, but I wouldn't do this in any boat.

I have tons of seat time in both, and I find the T/S to handle much better, and perform in rough water better than the classic hull. My old one was so fun for so many reasons. It took BIG power to run though.

The T/S is much more efficient. I ran pretty hard to Key West (160 miles approx.) I burned 1/2 a tank the entire way. (Zul 625's)
Old 12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Registered

cigracer,

where are you located? 160 miles to Key West means you are in Miami?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by thedonz
I meant better in handling than stepped, obviously not faster hull for hull, the step has an advantage ther over non-stepped....

Havasu, do you find the hull loose in the turns? That is what I am concerned about in the newer stepped hulls.
What kind of turns are you concerned with? Do you intend to race and make high speed 90 degree turns around a pylon? Just asking because I've never had to turn a corner at high speed while on a lunch run or poker run. I have been in a T/S Gun and a Gladiator while making a relatively hard pleasure turn without any slippage or funny stuff.

G

Quick Reply: Cig-Fountain-Apache

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.