Notices

Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'

Old 12-15-2003, 09:09 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Boot,

I have a 99 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 w/ PowerStoke Diesel Engine. The truck has about 87,000 highway miles. Well maintained and Serviced properly during that time. What upgrades so you suggest in the forme od a Chip, exhaust, and what ever else will be needed??????

Thank You,
Dennis P Tracey
Old 01-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce,

After using the chip for a little while, what are you still pleased and what kind of mileage are you seeing in your F350 with it?

Finman
Old 01-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by JASSMAN
Boot, on the deisel module wars, the Edge w/Attitude dynoed rear wheel hp @427, that was a 2004 6.0 Excursion, stock it was 281 rear wheel hp, and it did have an oversized single exhaust on both tests. Edge w/Attitude claims 115hp/290tq, which is only 15 more hp/40 more tq over std Edge without the gauges. You can see they are very conservative. This Excursion turned 13.992 in the quarter. You also have the option of adding more fuel, 5 levels, which makes it even quicker. The nice feature is you have all your gages in a 5"x3" cluster, showing your egt's,boost,rpm's, and defueling option, which you can set in the alerts area to program your egt's not to exceed 1350 degrees before it starts to defuel, which save the turbo. Ive had great luck with my Ford 6.0, and I know the tranny is the weak link, I use this power very wisely, unless a rice burner wants to run
Jassman,
Where can I find info on the Edge product line?

Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On the Power Stroke Diesel (PSD) the Service Engine Soon light (SES) will come on any time the boost exceeds 27psi. That light ought to say "Turbo is working great" on it. Any chip manufacturer that exceeds those boost levels is going to trip the SES. So, you can't blame Western Diesel (WD) for that. WD's stuff is really nice but is also expensive.

If all you want to do is add 60 or so hp and add 100 lbs/ft then any of the chip manufacturers can get you there. Adding over 90 hp or so requires exhaust upgrades, EGT sensor, etc. and can get expensive. That's when you can really tell the difference in the manufacturers.

There used to be a great Ford Diesel web site and Forum at www.Ford-Diesel.com but I can't find it now. Anyone know what happened to it?

IMO Banks is a rip. You can get much more for less money by buying the parts you need and forget about Bank's pre-packaged, overpriced kits.

I think that Boot hits the nail on the head. It looks like he really knows his truck stuff. I don't want to step on his toes (Boot) but I get my Diesel goodies from Dale Isley at TYMAR (Take Your Money and Run). Great prices especially on exhaust. Also, he sells a Sonnax valve and tricumulator springs for your tranny that will fix the soft shift and shift hang problem on automatic tranny modified Powerstrokes. The chip manufactures do increase line pressure but there's only so much you can do with software. The valve and springs are less than 50 bucks (if I remember right) and a great time to do it is when changing your tranny fluid.

Then once you get used to all that new power from your chip and exhaust you can add Propane and really fly!

I'm really, really curious about the new 6.0 PSDs. I've heard some pretty negative stuff about them. I was thniking about trading my 2000 PSD in on one. But, after all I've heard I think I'll be keeping my 7.3 PSD for some time to come.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered

Thumbs up EDGE PRODUCTS

Edge Products are the only way to go if you are upgrading any diesel.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by bford1
There used to be a great Ford Diesel web site and Forum at www.Ford-Diesel.com but I can't find it now. Anyone know what happened to it?
same site, different name

http://www.thedieselstop.com/
Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

SEMPER FI.... The best current price that I found on the www.dieselstop.com site was through www.consperformancechips.com. They advertise both the Edge module w/Attitude for 800.00, BUT.. call the guy, talk to him direct he will sell it for 700.00 plus overknight it for 22.00, great deal. PMT a OSO sponser, www.pmtchips.com might match the price as well, I bought my Edge from them, nice people. Get it you will love it, just use wisely, a tranny upgrade is being worked on by these manufactures, so that in the highest level of power they will shift like normal, I bet then I'll be around 13.7 Good Luck, Jeff Jassby
Old 01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally posted by FINMAN
Bruce,

After using the chip for a little while, what are you still pleased and what kind of mileage are you seeing in your F350 with it?

Finman
Its hard to tell what my actual mileage is since I have a lift kit and 35'd on it, My speedo is off from 4-7 mph and I am reading 15mpg all the time. Since I added this chip and replaced the Diablo, I went up 2/10 more.
Other then that, I am completely happy with it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks jafo
Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, the horse is already dead ! Quit beating him !

Some of you guys make me wonder .......... ?

I sell themALL............
I will give great prices,probably the best ............
You ask me which one works best ..................
I tell you .................

And you argue with me .

Oh well ..........

just curious , "fast enough", Why do you say , "Edge is the only way to go "? I sell them too . If I thought they were the best ,I would say so .They ARE good . But Not the BEST ......They make less power then the Western diesel box, have higher exhaust temps , and don't gain as much fuel mileage ,if any........ How is that better ? Because they are cheaper ? Not picking on you . Just curious to your statement .

If anyone would like to find out the truth . I will sell you a box full of different brands , Which ever ones you want to try , when you pick one ,I'll take the others back and refund your money !!!! Then you tell me and everyone else if I was right .

How's that for telling it like it is ?

All chips do something ....... Wheather or not they do it well or safely for your engine is another story . Every body buys their first diesel ever ,and it's the best !

then they buy their first chip ever and it's the best !

I've been doing this since 1983. I have had a LITTLE experience .
I don't mean to step on toes of others who sell chips . I just answer the quesions I am asked . If that offends anyone ,I am truely sorry ! But please don't make false statements just because it's the ONLY brand you sell . You too can become a dealer of all brands if you are a ligitimate dealer and put up the money . and then we can be fair to our fellow OSO family . Not miss leading .

I realy don't like being involved in these discussions because it ALLWAYS gets messy ......... There are thousands of products out there . I've sold and used all the ones I can find . Most of them are a rip off , some of them are OK at best (If you don't tow or floor it for long) , only a couple are pretty good but under rated and can't realy be used to the full extent of what you bought it for, due to high exhuast temps. As for great ones ,,,,,,, I'll step down now .......... You all have a great weekend ! I'm outa here !

Quick Reply: Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.