Notices

OT my dad

Old 12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT my dad

I have a question for some of my fellow board members. I have a problem and can't find a solution to it. I spent the last week visiting with my dad. He lives in a different state by himself. It's very obvious that his memory is failing him. His long term memory is excellent, but his short term memory is shot. For example; he'll ask you the same question 3 times in 5 minutes. I'd like to have the doctor check him to see if there is something that could be treated. I can't ask him to see the doctor because there is absolutely no way he would remember. When I was down there, I dug around and found a doctor name and number, but it was for a optometrist. They wouldn't tell me his physican name. I asked them to call the physician for me and they refused to. I really don't want to go to my dad and tell him my concerns-what if they are unfounded? What should I do?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Cord,

Very sorry to hear about your dad's unfortunate condition. Sounds much like dimensia. My wife's great grandmother had it. Some of the things they say and do will make you laugh beyond belief. If in fact that is the case, something to be concerned about is them getting lost and not knowing how to get home. Talk to some siblings (yours or his if still alive)or his friends that he may have shared this information with. It may be a good place to start. Best wishes.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Steve_H

sorry about your dad cord.

see if you can get him to agree to have a physical.
tell the doc your concerns before hand.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Registered

here is what we did for a friends Dad, we told him we were going to the Mall but had to stop by the Hospital to see a friends baby. It worked because half the battle is getting them there. If you can reason with him, which may be hard now, you can explain that if he does not do this he will either find himself lost, without a drivers license or taken advantage of because he is lost. Just let him know this is serious and if he wants to live on his own, out of an institution, he has to comply. Good luck but persistence pays off in these matters, that and an intervention from family will set his mind at ease and get him fixed up.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, I just spent the last hour on the phone. It turns out there is a small clinic in the town where he lives. This is surprising because it's such a small town. Actually, it's a tiny town. The local hospital gave me their number and sure enough, they've treated him. In fact, they know him on a first name basis. The nurse said that she would get him to come in for a check up. She also said that this could be a symptom of anemia which they've treated him for in the past. Gaud I love small towns. Where else could you call a clinic and have the nurse know your dad and be willing to bring him in? Everybody else wouldn't even tell me if he was their patent.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Registered

Cord, very sorry to hear that.Be careful in this cold weather, I had a neighbor that got confused and lost. By the time we found him he had gotten pretty bad frostbite.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:23 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love the small town!!! Hope everything works out for you and your Dad.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cord I hope it all works out for the best....sounds like between you and the local clinic he's in good hands.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, best of luck with your Dad . Nice to know that the Son cares about his Dad..not all families are like that.

Keep up the good work even if it is overwhelming

Jeff
Old 12-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Too Old
Tim....I'm dealing with my fathers advanced Alzheimer's. I watched my Grandmother waste away with it too.

If he is diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and I hope he isn't, shoot me a PM with your phone number and I'll be happy to share my experience with this.

Fred

That's what we are secretly fearing. I'm praying that it's only anemia, but I doubt it. I've seen the end result and it's not pretty. I couldn't deal with it. You've seen it a couple times, is this how it starts?

Quick Reply: OT my dad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.