Notices

Tire suggestions?

Old 12-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 99' Eddie Bauer Expedition. Drove the thing for quite a while and felt it would drift and sway alot. Like you, I assumed it was tire and shock set-up. But one day during an oil change I noticed there were no link pins connecting the front sway bar to the control arms!!! There was no evidence that these were ever installed at the factory. The dealer tried to tell me "they must have fallen out". The link pins are about 13" long, are installed and suspended from the top ... I would have had to lose both retaining nuts and then rolled the vehicle over for them to "fall out". I started looking at other Expeditions and noticed several the had the link pins missing. I had to buy the parts and install them myself. It was a totally different vehicle.

Does yours have the link pins installed?
Old 12-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Registered

Location: I knew I shouldn't have made that left turn in Albuquerque...
Lightbulb

Don't know RedDog382, but I'll check it out! Thanks!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

All the Goodyear truck tires I ever had were original equipment from Ford, Nissan, and Jeep. If I ever bought more of them, they were the exact same size and type.

If they were misapplied, then they were misapplied from the vehicle manufacturer (which is not farfetched).

I have owned and repurchased many Goodyear passenger car tires, and although I currently have none on my personal rides, I wouldn't shy away from them.

The Firestones (eek eek!) that came on my YukonXL were immediately replaced with larger 18" wheels and tires, but those stockers went on a buddy's truck and performed well and lasted well and didn't cup or other bad tire behavior.

I've had Coopers, Generals (I ran XP2000z's on several performance cars.

There's a lot of good tires made by mfrs other then the TOP 3. There's a lot of mediocre tires made by top notch mfrs.

I've found that the "owner reviews" section on TireRack.com is useful for getting some feedback on tires you may be considering (as long as you can see thu some of the more stupid entries).

As with anything else, troubleshooting weirdness when towing should start with basics like tire pressure, vehicle alignment, proper tongue weight, and mechanical issues (worn suspension bushings, etc).
Old 12-28-2003, 07:40 PM
heat wave

Default tire stores

I owned 14 tire stores at one time,go to a 265/75/r16 8 ply.or a 235/85/r16 10 ply.The tires on the truck now are,I would guest 6 ply.They have a soft side wall for a good ride which is fine if your not towing a large boat.Go for the 8 or 10 ply,best bet mich LTX a real good tire or Firestone R4S which is a Bridgestone top of the line.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Registered

i've got mich ltx as 10 ply and love them on a 2500 dodge quid cab great for what they are when it's time to replace them the dodge will get dick cepeck fun countys rd 33 12.50 17
Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Registered

IMO-
BF-Goodrich all-terran is the best truck tire out there!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put BFG KO's on my 2500HD before I made the trip to NY last month. AWSOME tire. A bit noisy, but acceptable to me. They wore so good that even after pulling a 38' trailer with me up there, the little "knobbies" where still on the tires after 1400 miles! They look sooo much better than the others as well to me.