Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shop Floor Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67195-shop-floor-paint.html)

Cord 12-26-2003 01:20 PM

Audio-there was a thread on epoxy paints ing GD not too long ago. I posted a link to Tenemic which the industrial strenght stuff. Just remember that prep is the absolute must. Often you'll want to sand blast the floor to get all the grease and oil out of the concrete. I've see the epoxy peal up in large sheets from poor prep.

Ric232 12-26-2003 01:43 PM

Originally posted by ThirdBird
Impulsive,
Been considering that stuff (or similar). Any experience with it? Does it stay snapped together well? Spaces? Is it real exepensive? (websight had no prices)

Dave

The race deck is expensive. About $4 - $5 per sq ft.

I ended up using 3 gallons of the the Rustoleum garage floor coating for about $165.

cuda 12-26-2003 02:37 PM

A guy that works for me put that epoxy floor paint from Lowes in his garage and is very happy with it. It's the kind that you broadcast the chips in after rolling it on.

cuda 12-26-2003 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon, here is the stuff you really need in your shop, but at $6.50/sq ft(installed), it gets a bit pricey.

Here is a locker room we did with it.

cuda 12-26-2003 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what it looked like before.

I'm the only distributor in the state of Florida. Here is the website to the product.

Hi Tech Flooring

cuda 12-26-2003 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a one step seamless epoxy flooring that is troweled down. It is about 3/16 thick.

MnHowardCat 12-26-2003 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Tile-Clad it's a two piece epoxy

jafo 12-26-2003 08:28 PM

I've been working on painted floors my whole career in corporate aircraft hangars. Most have been absolute showplaces- they ought to be with the amount of money invested in the aircraft and all the equipment it takes to maintain them.
Epoxies aren't used in this environment; only two-part polyurethanes. Extremely toxic stuff to work with, but holds the shine and resistant to all the potent chemicals (strippers, Skydrol hydraulic fluids, MEK's, toluol and acetones, etc.) and all the equipment such as power carts, jacks, and tool boxes scuffed around on them. Epoxy floors wouldn't stand up to any of this stuff, especially the floor scrubbers that are run around twice a week to keep them looking like a mirror and clean enough to eat off of.
You'd have to etch or shot-peen the floor to apply these paints, but they will last a lifetime if properly maintained.

I thought about using epoxy at my home shop, but I'm going to use polyurethane next spring.
Jim

Steve 1 12-26-2003 08:31 PM

Howard that is Beautiful Floor!!

MnHowardCat 12-26-2003 09:11 PM

Thanks