Like Tree0Likes

RUF car reviews...

Old 12-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

Jon,
I do some instructional driving for the PCA as well as some club racing. Every year they have a meeting for the instructors where they bring in some big name drivers to spend the day on the track with us to improve our own driving skills and instructional abilities. I've been really lucky to have had the opportunity to be in the car with some legendary drivers over the years. Haywood, Brian Redman, Skip Barber, and Derek Bell to name a few. I've also meet some of the other legendary Porsche endurance racers including Roger Penske, Jackie Ickx, and Paul Newman. In car instructional driving from these guys certainly has to be on the top of my most memorable experiences list.

I'm also really grateful for getting the opportunity to drive so many classic Porsche's including just about every 911 model, 934, 935, 906, 917, 956, 962... but never a GT1, maybe someday.

The 917's are awesome cars. Unreal acceleration that can't even be described. I want to say the 917/30 was pushing out around 1500hp in a car that was under 1900 lbs. The things do 0-60 in just under 2 seconds and have a top speed of of around 240 mph. Absolutely insane power. I personally like the lines of the 956/962 series. While not as fast in a straight line, the 962's literally feel like they're glued to the road. It's absolutely amazing how well the tunnels work under these cars, you would never believe a car could create so many g's... and they are so sexy to see and hear in person.

You are 100% correct how much of a difference the driver can make in getting the most out of a car on the track. So many times I've seen guys with little track experience bring these BIG dollar performance cars to the track. I always get a laugh out of watching very good drivers pass these guys in their POS track cars. Two years ago I saw one of the Skip Barber instructors lap a F-40 (inexperienced driver) in his Neon at Lime Rock, I was LMAO! In all fairness the F-40 had street tires on it, but it was still hysterical.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by SLINGSHOT
you mean ruf is to porsche as amg is to mercedes?
You got it.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by cashbrain
Ruf..pronounced roof..is the Mercedes tuner AMG
I have driven them both...on tracks and the street.Both are incredible but, very$$$
Jack,
Actually to the best of my knowledge Ruf has no connection to AMG.

Ruf is not only a tuner, but they are actually considered a manufacturer as well. Although they work with Porsche, they aren't tied to them in any way. Both Ruf and Porsche are privately owned companies.

AMG however is a division of Mercedes (publicly owned...). Porsche does do some subcontracting and R&D work for Mercedes, but neither Ruf nor Porsche is in any way tied to AMG/Mercedes.

Just trying to be constructive...
Old 12-26-2003, 07:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: yeah....that one

Quote:
Originally posted by SS930
You got it.

duh..I knew that, I was asking jack if he did?
Old 12-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

AMG began like many standalone tuners, just re-doing customer cars. After they developed a reputation for doing a bangup job on the total package, Benz began to subcontract some tuning work on some factory specials.

Eventually, they were involved by M-B on the ground floor of some production cars, and finally M-B absorbed AMG into its corporate structure.

Ruf is (by choice I understand) a standalone tuner, but is of the highest caliber.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Registered

Does Koenig Motors still exsist ? They used to be top of the heap for Ferrari and Porsche back in the mid to late 80's...

My parents live about 10 Minutes from where RUF builds cars...it's sick when they take a car for a drive in the country....
Old 12-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

Koenig would go way out with the color schemes, wings, and graphics. More of the rap star and pimp style accessorizing. Wasn't afraid to build some big hp into the cars, though.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:14 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

My Boats: 27' Scarab

the day o waste dmy buimme rat watkins tehre as a brand new ruf turbo runnign up there. SICK. sounded lieak jet engine. It was one of the nicest and best performning cars up there.

Its fast fora road car. But as race car its quick but not stupid fast by any means. MY buddy was runngin his 01 van dieman and it was no contest out cornered and just flat out walked away on the straights. BUT other than a GTR it was the only car that even came close to attempting hang with the formula car.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiofn
Ya today I think even the Benz 55 will give it a run for its money and there are a lot of cars that will easily outperform it. Back then those numbers were unheard of.
Back then? I guess you haven't seen the new ones. An SL55 outperforming a Ruf? Your kidding I'm sure but they can't be compared. The Ruf will blow the doors clean off of an SL55 or anything else you line up.

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/english/index1.htm
Old 12-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by cigracer38
Back then? I guess you haven't seen the new ones. An SL55 outperforming a Ruf? Your kidding I'm sure but they can't be compared. The Ruf will blow the doors clean off of an SL55 or anything else you line up.

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/english/index1.htm
Cig,
Reread the thread... Jon is referring to the 1984-1985 Porsche 959, not the Ruf.

And no, the AMG is not even in the same class as the Ruf.