Formula/Fountain/CIgarette

Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All things considered:
1) Cigarette
2) Formula
3) Fountain

The Cig and Formula will handle rough water better, higher resale values. Cig the most custom. Formula the most comfortable. Fountain fastest with equal power in calmer water. My two cents.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

1) CIG
2) CIG
3) CIG
8) Formula
13) SUNSATION
>................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
?) FOUNTAIN
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

MrO,
I owned a Fountain for 6 years and it was tough as nails. My problem with Fountain now as a consumer is how would you feel if you bought a new 35 in 2002 for $175k and they come out in 2003 and they sell the same boat $150k, this means yours is worth $125 at best. That is A LOT of money for 12 months of ownership. Fountain is undercutting their own used market, and a lot of their dealers agree.

The boat themselves are fine but is a Cigarette "pricey" as you mentioned when you calculate the net (buying it-selling it). It is a bigger chunk to jam in a boat but with a Cig your net will be less. I have owned both I lost money on the Fountain (which i expected "Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs")and made a little profit on the Cig (that was very welcome). I have not even mentioned the "I have always wanted a Cigarette" line that everyone who contacted me on the Cafe told me, it was not that easy to sell the Fountain.

So in my experience the Cig was a LOT cheaper.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Bayliner ...no brainer!
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SpeedDoc mentioned Sunsation. Do they plan on getting into the 35+ size boat market soon? Hell knows their 28 and 32 has earned respect from their owners.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) FORMULA

2) CIG

3) FOUNTAIN

It's all about personal preference and how you intend to use it. It's hard to beat the quality of a Formula. We've had one since 1983 and put 1500 hours on it without any major problems. Still have the original Mercs, drives and all rigging. It still starts right up and runs like a top. Formula is going to be the most comfortable and as good if not better quality than the others. The fit and finish on a Formula is outstanding. There is, however, only one Cigarette. When someone who doesn't boat asks you about your C-Gar boat or that long skinny boat they ineviatble are thinking Cigarette. Cigs are awesome. All other things being equal the Fountain is going to be faster (esp. in smooth water). But, that's partially because it's a smaller boat. With the Fountain you have to factor in the beak and the molded in swim platform (Formulas after 1993 - I think '93 - are molded in also) and you end up with a smaller boat. My '85 357 SR1 (35'7") Formula is as big if not bigger than a 38' Fountain.

What floats your boat?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Formula...But then , I own one. I also prefer a windshield to race fairing. I usually always stand while running and look over the windshield , but I can just peek over the top so the wind isn't hitting me in the eyes and face...just messing my hair a bit.

2)Fountain)... My cuz has had a couple and the beaks are distinctive , if not a ripoff for size

3)Cigarette...Looked at a few when buying and the F&F and the amenities just seem nicer on the other two

Last edited by mopower; 01-09-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

I HAVE OWNED A FORMULA FOR ALMOST 1 YR. ITS A GREAT BOAT FOR LAKE MI. AWESOME QUALITY PERFORMANCE IS GOOD BUT MY FRIEND OWNS A CIG AND WHO GETS ALL THE ATTENTION??? THERE IS ONLY ONE CIG. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU NEED, IF YOU NEED THE EGO BOOST FROM THAT GO WITH A CIG. IF NOT A FORMULA IS A GREAT BOAT. I AM NOT FOND OF THE BEAKS. GOOD BOATS JUST NOT FOR ME.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:56 PM
simon johnston

#1 NORTECH 36 CAT

Old 01-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sat back and read this same type of thread over and over without responding to them. Mainly because i have respect for what other people own and their feelings regardless of if i like it or not. I just purchased a new 2004, 35 Fountain Executioner, and yes it was at the $149,900 price. I too would be upset if i had payed more for a 2002 than a new 2004 costs, but the computer i payed $2000 for 6 months ago can be bought for $699 now, those are just the breaks. I bet Formulas 0% financing on new boats is doing wonders for there costomers trying to sell used boats. I also couldn't find a Cig new for 149,900 or even close, and new is what i wanted. It comes down to what you like in the market for what you can afford. If you are buying a new boat with intentions of a sound financial investment in your mind i have a bridge over here in Brooklyn i could sell you...........Real Cheap !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Formula/Fountain/CIgarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.