Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula/Fountain/CIgarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68310-formula-fountain-cigarette.html)

LPA2106 01-08-2004 07:05 PM

Formula/Fountain/CIgarette

Seems likes whenever you ask about the "who's who" of boats these three manufacturers seem to be be at least among the top three. (Formula/Fountain/Cigarette)
...let's say in the 35-38' range.

So "assuming this is the case" and these were the only three performance boats on the market and you could only pick one, whch one would it be and why?

My take is that Cigarette has classic looks but takes more power than say a fountain to get similiar speeds but the trade off is it can handle rougher seas at comparable speeds, the formula is a hybrid offshore/cruiser in it's gentlmanly helm and mild bottom etc..

The Fountain is all about speed...looks are second? Ride may not be as good as cigarette? Correct

So what's someone coming from a 28' footer to do?

Let's keep it focused and see where this goes!

SpeedDoc 01-08-2004 07:11 PM

Depends...... Do you want to go fast and not look good or look good and not go so fast????:crazy:

BAJA WILL 01-08-2004 07:27 PM

Really depends on what you want out of it and what you are willing to put into it. Power for power Fountain will run faster, it also has a smaller cabin than both Formula and Cig. I also agree that Cig is the most custom and you pay for it. Formula is a very nice boat also, but will take some HP to get the speed up. As for me I will be leaving the V'ss in the future, and be going Feline.;)

WILL:p

GLH 01-08-2004 07:43 PM

Cigarette.

wwwTOPDJcom 01-08-2004 07:47 PM

your telling me this your first post on this site?!
OK so which OSO member does not want to reveal themselfs? :D

Cigarette , why cause they just have that reputation
I like :D

otis311 01-08-2004 08:15 PM

Ive had 2 Formulas and they were nice boats, Fountain has real nice lines and go faster in calmer water

But as my old pal GLH says there is only one Cigarette !!

Cigs are more expensive, but are built to take the punishment and the most important thing to me is the resale value

Ill sacrifice speed for that ANYDAY !!

impulsive 01-08-2004 08:25 PM

Bottom line in order

1) Cigarette

2) Formula

3) Fountain

96) Apache :eek: :eek:

SPITFIRE 01-08-2004 09:01 PM

someone's trying to stir the pot!!!!!
But out of those three I choose the one with the big red 1 on the side.

GLH 01-08-2004 09:08 PM

Originally posted by wwwTOPDJcom
your telling me this your first post on this site?!
OK so which OSO member does not want to reveal themselves?

Give the poster a break. It's winter, gives us something to act like teenage girls yakking away and arguing, we have to do something till the lake becomes liquid again

CAP071 01-08-2004 09:14 PM

I guess no BAJA on this list ? :D

Formula Outlaw 01-08-2004 09:36 PM

All things considered:
1) Cigarette
2) Formula
3) Fountain

The Cig and Formula will handle rough water better, higher resale values. Cig the most custom. Formula the most comfortable. Fountain fastest with equal power in calmer water. My two cents.

SpeedDoc 01-08-2004 09:39 PM

1) CIG
2) CIG
3) CIG
8) Formula
13) SUNSATION
>................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
?) FOUNTAIN

GLH 01-08-2004 09:48 PM

MrO,
I owned a Fountain for 6 years and it was tough as nails. My problem with Fountain now as a consumer is how would you feel if you bought a new 35 in 2002 for $175k and they come out in 2003 and they sell the same boat $150k, this means yours is worth $125 at best. That is A LOT of money for 12 months of ownership. Fountain is undercutting their own used market, and a lot of their dealers agree.

The boat themselves are fine but is a Cigarette "pricey" as you mentioned when you calculate the net (buying it-selling it). It is a bigger chunk to jam in a boat but with a Cig your net will be less. I have owned both I lost money on the Fountain (which i expected "Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs")and made a little profit on the Cig (that was very welcome). I have not even mentioned the "I have always wanted a Cigarette" line that everyone who contacted me on the Cafe told me, it was not that easy to sell the Fountain.

So in my experience the Cig was a LOT cheaper.

Love Machine 01-09-2004 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1) Bayliner ...no brainer! :D

CAP071 01-09-2004 05:36 AM

SpeedDoc mentioned Sunsation. Do they plan on getting into the 35+ size boat market soon? Hell knows their 28 and 32 has earned respect from their owners.

bford1 01-09-2004 02:19 PM

1) FORMULA

2) CIG

3) FOUNTAIN

It's all about personal preference and how you intend to use it. It's hard to beat the quality of a Formula. We've had one since 1983 and put 1500 hours on it without any major problems. Still have the original Mercs, drives and all rigging. It still starts right up and runs like a top. Formula is going to be the most comfortable and as good if not better quality than the others. The fit and finish on a Formula is outstanding. There is, however, only one Cigarette. When someone who doesn't boat asks you about your C-Gar boat or that long skinny boat they ineviatble are thinking Cigarette. Cigs are awesome. All other things being equal the Fountain is going to be faster (esp. in smooth water). But, that's partially because it's a smaller boat. With the Fountain you have to factor in the beak and the molded in swim platform (Formulas after 1993 - I think '93 - are molded in also) and you end up with a smaller boat. My '85 357 SR1 (35'7") Formula is as big if not bigger than a 38' Fountain.

What floats your boat?

mopower 01-09-2004 02:46 PM

1) Formula...But then , I own one. I also prefer a windshield to race fairing. I usually always stand while running and look over the windshield , but I can just peek over the top so the wind isn't hitting me in the eyes and face...just messing my hair a bit.

2)Fountain)... My cuz has had a couple and the beaks are distinctive , if not a ripoff for size:rolleyes:

3)Cigarette...Looked at a few when buying and the F&F and the amenities just seem nicer on the other two:(

FAST353TECH 01-09-2004 03:36 PM

I HAVE OWNED A FORMULA FOR ALMOST 1 YR. ITS A GREAT BOAT FOR LAKE MI. AWESOME QUALITY PERFORMANCE IS GOOD BUT MY FRIEND OWNS A CIG AND WHO GETS ALL THE ATTENTION??? THERE IS ONLY ONE CIG. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU NEED, IF YOU NEED THE EGO BOOST FROM THAT GO WITH A CIG. IF NOT A FORMULA IS A GREAT BOAT. I AM NOT FOND OF THE BEAKS. GOOD BOATS JUST NOT FOR ME.

simon johnston 01-09-2004 03:56 PM

#1 NORTECH 36 CAT

Tricky919 01-09-2004 07:21 PM

I have sat back and read this same type of thread over and over without responding to them. Mainly because i have respect for what other people own and their feelings regardless of if i like it or not. I just purchased a new 2004, 35 Fountain Executioner, and yes it was at the $149,900 price. I too would be upset if i had payed more for a 2002 than a new 2004 costs, but the computer i payed $2000 for 6 months ago can be bought for $699 now, those are just the breaks. I bet Formulas 0% financing on new boats is doing wonders for there costomers trying to sell used boats. I also couldn't find a Cig new for 149,900 or even close, and new is what i wanted. It comes down to what you like in the market for what you can afford. If you are buying a new boat with intentions of a sound financial investment in your mind i have a bridge over here in Brooklyn i could sell you...........Real Cheap !!!!!!!

Back4More 01-09-2004 09:21 PM

All three manufactures are making some nice stuff these days.

simon johnston 01-10-2004 02:46 AM

well said MR Tricky 919

GLH 01-12-2004 07:37 AM

Originally posted by Back4More
All three manufactures are making some nice stuff these days.
What are you running for congress? :D:D

ps: I'm getting closer we might not have to sit at the ramp too long!

Donzi38ZX 01-12-2004 03:09 PM

1 & 2. Cigarette/Formula - Hard choice for my preference. For driving and looks the Cigarette wins, but cabin and boat "useability" Formulas are tops (great storage, footrests, drink holders etc.)

3. Fountain - Fast boat with a good reputation but gives a little too much in the other departments for my needs.

But what do I know, I bought a Donzi:D

Wasabe 01-12-2004 03:23 PM

I say Cig (see below. That's our Gladiator and me)

Or if you have the cash get an Outerlimits.

If you want a fast boat with a microwave inside get a Formula.

BLee 01-12-2004 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Wasabe

If you want a fast boat with a microwave inside get a Formula.

Ohh snap! :D

Sea Ya 01-12-2004 03:49 PM

Cig. No contest.

Wasabe 01-12-2004 06:48 PM

I can't be too nice! Hence the avatar. Besides I have to defend Cigarella's sheeeech. :D

Wasabe 01-12-2004 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
Bioch :D I aint got a micropuppy and the boat aint fast :crazy:
What do you have for power?

epeek 01-12-2004 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Tricky919
I have sat back and read this same type of thread over and over without responding to them. Mainly because i have respect for what other people own and their feelings regardless of if i like it or not. I just purchased a new 2004, 35 Fountain Executioner, and yes it was at the $149,900 price. I too would be upset if i had payed more for a 2002 than a new 2004 costs, but the computer i payed $2000 for 6 months ago can be bought for $699 now, those are just the breaks. I bet Formulas 0% financing on new boats is doing wonders for there costomers trying to sell used boats. I also couldn't find a Cig new for 149,900 or even close, and new is what i wanted. It comes down to what you like in the market for what you can afford. If you are buying a new boat with intentions of a sound financial investment in your mind i have a bridge over here in Brooklyn i could sell you...........Real Cheap !!!!!!!
Well said tricky! Congrats on the 04 Executioner. I also think
that everyone is comparing the price of the 02
lightning to the 03-04 Executioner. I may be wrong
but isn't the X a single step,compared to a double
step on the lightning? Also isn't the X a " get it
only one way" no option boat? I think its just
good marketing in a $hitty market. I love Cigs
but the are very expensive and need huge power
to run fast. On an inland lake they are overkill.
As far as resale goes,all boats suck. I think when
everyone compares what their boats cost new
and what they can be sold for,the loss is about
equal. Cigs that new are 400k can be sold 2
years later for 275k. A fountain that is 225k can
be sold 2 years later for 125k. Same loss isn't it?
I have plenty of friends with Formulas,great boats
but they have about the same resale as the others.
It just depends on what suits you & what you like.
One last thing. Why is everyone on Fountain about
the beak & the molded platform? Almost every manufacturer with molded platforms include that in
the size of their boats,including Formula! The beak
is just their distinct styling, and I for one thinks it's
cool looking. What are the supposed to do,? Say
its a 41 Fever,plus a one foot beak!

Wasabe 01-12-2004 08:48 PM

500EFI's....... :rolleyes: :crazy:
That's not that bad. That's what we have. We seen 87. Once though. :D

I hope in year or two we get 575! That would be bad a**. If not I'll settle for 525.

GLH 01-12-2004 08:52 PM

Were all saying the same thing here with different taste.
Boating is fu#$%g expensive and we all love it.
More power to us!

otis311 01-12-2004 08:54 PM

EPEEK empty your pm box will you please

epeek 01-12-2004 09:00 PM

Originally posted by OTIS311
EPEEK empty your pm box will you please
O.K

Wasabe 01-12-2004 09:01 PM

Originally posted by GLH
Were all saying the same thing here with different taste.
Boating is fu#$%g expensive and we all love it.
More power to us!

Preach on AMEN. :)

Formula Outlaw 01-12-2004 09:13 PM

I would love a couple of 600's for my little 311 SR-1.

Wasabe 01-12-2004 09:26 PM

Expensive, yes. Huge power to make them run, no.

525's in a 38 T/G will run 85+ (A pair of 850 Sterlings....115+).

Way faster than a 38 Formula with 525's and about the same as a 38 Fountain with 525's....I wont get into the wetted hull debate here :D

Nice Save.;)

BLee 01-13-2004 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Wasabe
I say Cig (see below. That's our Gladiator and me)

"Our Gladiator?"
Sounds like BG-1 is whipped! :D

birdog 01-13-2004 08:56 AM

There IS a reason for that big red 1 on the side !!!

Mine is a 1989.....still as solid as ANY new boat built today.....Only time will tell !:p

GLH 01-13-2004 09:08 AM

Originally posted by cigracer38
"Our Gladiator?"
Sounds like BG-1 is whipped! :D

Or Married! :eek: