Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best 28' performance boat for rough water? >

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Notices

Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Old 01-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, may as well jump in and give my $.02. I am 100% in agreement with the Batboat comments regarding running with the 41' boats. Honestly, I've been on Chris Martin's 39' Profile with the BIG blower motors in the Alexandria Bay/Gananaqua Poker Runs in the 1000 Islands. The Batboats were going by us and everyone else (except MY Way, Tomcat, and the rest of the BIG cats) and there were some huge freighter wakes, etc. and those things were flying. And we were running 90 mph +/- at times. It is really something any nonbelievers have to witness to believe. I don't think I would personally ever buy one ( I want more cabin, more cocpit, sunpad, etc.), but I have complete confidence in the Batboat's ability in rough water!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered

And one other comment, just from trying to upgrade from my past boats - RESALE MATTERS. I'm sure Sabre is great, so is Kryptonite etc., but unless you have money to piss away, resale matters for all of us who have a boat for a season or two and want to move up in a short time period. Those of you who jumped all over the new guy who posted blue book values- lets have a dose of reality. This is a hobby for most of us. Is there any harm in giving someone advice that as well as a SOLID offshore boat, they may want an offshore boat they can sell when they're ready to upgrade (as they inevitably will)? I'd love to own/drive one of Dale Jr.'s race cars, but I hardly think I would want it as a daily driver......or to sell it in the weekly pennysaver for anywhere near what it cost to build!

Last edited by JROMY; 01-14-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

"Bat" to reality here. Thaks all for the good to extreme thoughts. Really need to make a decision and find a new boat . My first choice right now is a 28 apache like the one lotoparty found but on the east coast. There are a couple for sale. One is a 1990 with arrows and in my opinion needs a lot to be perfect. The other is a 1991 with blowers which i really don't need but sounds like a pristine boat. The motors scare me there. Isn't there a plain jane 28 apache out there at a fair price?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Originally posted by yellowbird
This might give the warpaint a run for its money, or should I say "wampum". One 900HP
Holly smokes... that suckers got to fly. damn, could you put more power in a 28' ? Geez.
THIS IS MY BOAT,TIM G HAS BEEN ON THIS BOAT AND HE HAS SEEN 6000 RPM WITH A 32 LAB PROP 1.5 RATIO
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-pantera.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BJM,
Hi. Nice to meet you. I have a 27 with a 540. It runs great!! Mark built the boat for a friend of his.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Default 555 CI 850 SC

HERE IS THE MOTOR
Attached Thumbnails Best 28' performance boat for rough water?-blower.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I think that the batboats should run up against their own kind, if someone wants to take Mr Offshore up on his offer they are on their own. 10k is too rich for my blood. A grand to get in seems kind a high,unless its just a few boats.
I think that there should be a 28' run for sure, but two heats. One with the batboats and anyone who wants to run with them and possibly take up the offer,. Then A 28 class of non bats. Pure 28's, $100.00 or so gets you in with 100% paid purse. And a fun run so chaps like me can mill around in my 24'.
Let them all run at the same time! Whoever wants to put money on it, let them do so... who cares! Line'em up and run'em all balls to the wall!!! Cannon ball style!

BTW, I think someone should bring a 28 Skater... oh T2x, are you back yet???
Old 01-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Steve_H

Originally posted by powerguy
"Bat" to reality here. Thaks all for the good to extreme thoughts. Really need to make a decision and find a new boat . My first choice right now is a 28 apache like the one lotoparty found but on the east coast. There are a couple for sale. One is a 1990 with arrows and in my opinion needs a lot to be perfect. The other is a 1991 with blowers which i really don't need but sounds like a pristine boat. The motors scare me there. Isn't there a plain jane 28 apache out there at a fair price?
another boat you might want to consider is a 31 ft. cig bullet if you can get around the 28ft. LOA rack storage issue.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1994 Saber 28 Twin 300's $41,000.00.

Just my opinion, but it would seam that the Saber has more potential.
Yellow ........ I ran that boat back in '94 during the
"Hotboat" trials at Sanibel .... the guy that owned it at the time kept it at the same marina I was at (fishtale)...
Does it still have the 454 Mags ??? They kept it very nice condition !!! Where's it at currently ???

Good Luck !!!!!!

JM
Old 01-15-2004, 08:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

lotoparty -

the bullet would be my choice if I can get past the rack store issue. I have always liked the bullet. Not too many out there. I would like one redone with the white dash and aluminum swim platform. My budget is still under 50k.

Quick Reply: Best 28' performance boat for rough water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.