Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www2.b3ta.com/catgame/

Try that it may be more your speed!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Takes a familiar driver to run a light padvee up to max speed.

I had (still have actually in barn storage) a 16' padvee with 280hp or so on it. Ran over 100 on a few occasions. Best it saw with any other driver was low 80's (other drivers were just my friends, not any pros).

Not that familiar with the 22 Velocity, but my little padvee had a "smooth setup" and a "fast setup". The "fast setup" was a full 10mph faster than the smooth setup but had MONSTER steering torque, a hideous tendency to go into self amplifying chinewalk, and ran with the nose a touch to the right of center (crabwalking) and had a very uneasy slowmotion oscillating "lope" of a "mock porpoise" at 100. With the "smooth setup" steering torque was MUCH lighter, there was no lope, chinewalk was still an issue, butwas not scary, and you could hold the wheel still for 5 or 6 seconds at a time versus the other setup and its constant need for correction. Smooth setup would NOT run over 90, though.

The difference in the two setups was weight distribution and engine height.

Also, I did run a cleaver on it on one occasion. I was determined to find the absolute top end with that prop. It was very ill-suited for that hull and the back end was not settled at all. At somewhere around 90, I was trying to get the boat settled on the pad, but the stern lift was fighting me. I guess I got the hull too light with trim combined with the stern lift of the prop. Back end lost its bite and stepped to the side HARD as the nose went left. My torso slammed the side of the boat and knocked the killswitch out (and my breath). I remember steering one handed and feeding in enough roght lock that my left hand was upside down (right hand was on the outside of the hull grabbing the rubrail). Boat took 2 hops and snapped back straight. I lived through it somehow (also managed to get the killswitch back in and fire the motor before she coasted to a stop and swapmed herself with water - little bastage was @ss heavy and would swamp if you stopped with the power off).
Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

They will go straight when properly set up! Been there many many times! Grow some hair on 'em and go for it man! When you get one with that little boat you will amaze people!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Definately The Way That Boat Is Rigged...

Originally posted by Ed
Was your problem. Your steering related problems sounded like X-dimension, trim, prop, gimbal, torque-tab, related problems...? When a 22' is dialed in, they are smooth! Been there, done that. Ed
All I know about the setup was that it was a 1.65 Bravo with a Bob's nosecone, twin-ram steering (no slack), and a 4-bladed (Hydromotive 29?) prop. Gimbal seemed solid. He was trimming, but it wasn't to the moon (no hopping). What's the proper setup? Maybe I can help him out...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

God , I wish I were someplace warm. I'd even ride in a Bayliner ...... with a Force outboard

Watch it mopower!!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah......on second thought , that would be embarrassing , I don't know what I'm saying
Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bajabob38
[B]
Originally posted by C_Spray
. I must be a pu$$y, 'cause I think I prefer something a little more stable. Is this pretty typical of these hulls, or was there a setup problem with this one?

Sure sound like it to me

Hummmmmmm Pu$Sy.........ummmmmmmm errrrrrrrr. uhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Well - I'll put my money on WOO-HOO to drive the sh+t out of it! Step aside girly man!

And what year did your team win the Indy 500?
Old 01-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah,
I run along with one often and I think it runs great!
Old 01-15-2004, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Originally posted by C_Spray
I must be a pu$$y, 'cause I think I prefer something a little more stable. Is this pretty typical of these hulls, or was there a setup problem with this one?

Still - it was a BLAST!
One time I was driving a '22 Apache and.........

Awe nevermind.

Hey Chuck!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The chine walk is what makes them fun! It makes you feel good knowing that not everybody can just sit down and get the boat to perform.

Quick Reply: Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.