Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits or Foutain, who's the fastest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69034-outerlimits-foutain-whos-fastest.html)

Ron P 01-15-2004 03:47 PM

Outerlimits or Foutain, who's the fastest

Rumor has it that since Outerlimits took the V bottom speed record away from Fountain a few months back, Reggie has been getting prepared to take it back.

Outerlimits set the bar pretty high at 147mph in an open cockpit 42' GTX.

Rumor has it that Reggie is building some 2000hp alcohol motors and will put them in the Rio Roses Super V for the run.

Rumor has it that Mike Fiore built an all new Carbon Fiber epoxy boat that will be faster than the last one with typical Sterling power.

Rumor has it that Reggie has invited Outerlimits to run the KILO at his plant in NC with the course being set up by a surveyor and Poker Runs America will oversee the scoring and timing of the event.

Rumor has it that this will happen in the next week or two.

Stay tuned..............

outer42 01-15-2004 03:53 PM

149.7 is correct.you damn reporters are all the same!!!!!!!!

Ron P 01-15-2004 03:55 PM

That was the one way speed.

Rumor has it Reggie has seen 160 with his eyes closed.

My money is on OL at 157MPH.

DoTheMath 01-15-2004 04:03 PM

Rumor has it that Vegas is placing odds at 3-1 Reggie gets his a$$ kicked... again.:)

mirageman 01-15-2004 04:07 PM

Whats worst than getting spanked on your home turf?
Getting spanked twice!!!!

Go OL!!!!

Rippem 01-15-2004 04:11 PM

In response to Sutphen30's post...this quest for the "holy grail" whether at the factory or recreational level (see "thread baddest of the bad") will innevitably end in something bad happening. It's a simple matter of odds and statistical math. I for one have little interest, as when that day does come...it will result in a huge black mark on our interest and further the cause of the establishment (be it insurance industry or the local anti-performance boat interests in your area) to do us in, or make it more difficult financially or practically to enjoy "our sport". Of course, those with bottomless pockets could give a chit less if the masses are driven from the sport...they can just buy their way around it. Though the performance boat builders who sell the majority ($) of their annual product to average Joes like me should care! :mad: Egos will ruin it for everyone! Though if I was paying attention...my buck is on OL, Reggies days in the sun are over. ;)

Sydwayz 01-15-2004 04:15 PM

That's a lot of rumors.

BJM 01-15-2004 04:17 PM

= power I'd bet on Reggie.

RumRunner 01-15-2004 04:29 PM

Since we're talking rumors....

OL Engines may have a little something up there sleeve if Reggie gets close...

105mph_38_2003 01-15-2004 04:41 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I am too confused to care, but I love 'em both:D

As long as its safe I look forward to the competition:)

Ron P 01-15-2004 04:49 PM

Rumor has it that Mike knows Reggie might be packing more punch. He just knows his boat can stay in the water at those speeds.

Its now becoming more about the hull than the power. Can a V be stable at 160?

boot 01-15-2004 04:53 PM

Did the OL that set the record have a cabin in it ? So is Regie running a canopied race boat against the outer limits pleasure cockpit ? Isn't it true people have gained 5-10 mph by just covering the cockpit with a canvas cover ? I thought I read that somewhere .

Ron P 01-15-2004 04:58 PM

You might see a lid on the new OL. Can't say.....

TEAMBAJA 01-15-2004 05:17 PM

I thought Reggies Cash flow was low?

Ron P 01-15-2004 05:29 PM

He has his priorities and this is at the top of the list.

DIAMONDPERFORMA 01-15-2004 05:30 PM

Rumor has it Fountain- Mercury has deeper pockets than Outerlimits, thats what it is all about.

BAJA WILL 01-15-2004 06:00 PM

OL took it but I sure as hell would not want Fountain aiming at me. As for this record I think its just ego, bring two boats same power and in same price range and then see who pulls forward, that is what I like.:p

Will

Ron P 01-15-2004 06:52 PM

Its not about that. Its about advertising. The ads never say what power it took to get there, nor how long you could run that fast. Just a two way average speed with a prop pushing the boat along.

fountain1fan 01-15-2004 07:04 PM

:D :D :D :D i thank you will be surprised . i bet he uses less hp than ol had and stills runs faster . you forget he did it to wellcraft you do not piss reggie of about speed i can't wait to see the out come

Beak Boater 01-15-2004 07:16 PM

It would suprise me if Reggie used smaller motors unless Mercury wouldn't let him use after market power. If you were going to try to break a kilo record, I would think Reggie would stuff as much horsepower between the stringers as he could. I dont think he would leave anything on the table. The record is to important to him. Unless he is trying to prove a point with his product by using less HP. to do it.

fountain1fan 01-15-2004 07:25 PM

beek boater , you might be right on your last sentence . i do not know, i have not talked to him . when wellcraft broke it at126 he got it back with less hp than they had

H2Xmark 01-15-2004 07:30 PM

man I wish I could be there to watch the action when it hits:D anyone that thanks Reggie will not come out hitting hard is a fool, I think the title will go back and forth a couple times, and stay with Fountain

Formula Outlaw 01-15-2004 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Think I'll go with OL on this one.

Ron P 01-15-2004 07:32 PM

Think Joey Griffin. Think drag race motors.

Think about huge horsepower.

boot 01-15-2004 07:34 PM

Does anybody know how big the fountain will ACTUALY be ? :D He usualy has about a 3 or 4 foot advantage with the beak !:crazy:

fountain1fan 01-15-2004 07:37 PM

boot :D :D :D :D :D i thank it's a 42

tachyon 01-15-2004 07:40 PM

OL no canopy:confused: :eek: :confused: ....asking for trouble.

fountain1fan 01-15-2004 07:41 PM

h2x i hope i'll be there i call the factory 1` a week

Beak Boater 01-15-2004 07:45 PM

If I am not mistaken, their is talk around the OL camp that they may already have something just waiting for Reggie to take his best shot!! And then bump the record up again. It will be interesting.

Hauling Trash 01-15-2004 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it true ,I put my money ON

dreamer 01-15-2004 07:50 PM

my buddy is building the motors for the OL... just got them off the dyno yesterday... top secret... hehe... what boat there going into dont know... supposed to be in the coming weeks... no firm date yet

BLee 01-15-2004 07:51 PM

Originally posted by outer42
149.7 is correct.you damn reporters are all the same!!!!!!!!
No ****! Whats all this "rumor has it bull****?!?!" Unbelievable. You can have GPS. Radar, witnesses, etc and people still question the facts. Its been printed and proven multiple times!

Outerlimits holds the record Write it down, take a picture, whatever.

Ron P 01-15-2004 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the speed recall from the record run.

Strip Poker 388 01-15-2004 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Ron P
Its not about that. Its about advertising. The ads never say what power it took to get there, nor how long you could run that fast. Just a two way average speed with a prop pushing the boat along.

Yep Its about advertising. Not which hull is faster (More Efficient).There not comparing apples.Try the same length and same power,and weight then see which one is faster.

They will be up to 2000hp each next time . :eek:

Just put 4000 hp in a 35 ft canopy Fountain on a bonsai run see what speed you get. Any test pilots??:D

fountain1fan 01-15-2004 08:55 PM

sp388 that is how they should be run 525 or 900 whitch ever they like

tomtbone1993 01-15-2004 08:57 PM

As long as we are not talking about "Apache" I don't give a $hit!!!!

SS930 01-15-2004 09:01 PM

Someone's going to get killed... the clock is ticking.:rolleyes:

10x 01-15-2004 09:02 PM

Guys................. this is an interesting thread. Jan 24th (next sat), a group of us will be having Reggie and Wyatt at a dinner party. I WILL make sure I can get all the info possible out of him. Depending on how much he wants to disclose before the event, I cant say. But whatever he says, I will let everyone here know.

25 Eagle 01-15-2004 09:06 PM

What if Skater loaded up their Vee with the same HP as Fountain or OL? On the OL thing, going fast two ways in one day is great for bragging rights, but going fast for a whole season is much different. Would love to see OL bang heads with the big boys next year, that would be the true test of what they are made of.

Rippem 01-15-2004 09:12 PM

I agree...maybe two HP classes w/verified sealed HP levels like the 525 and 900 mentioned above. If they were smart they'de make this appeal more to the masses, prove something meaningful, and level off the speeds so as to not invite the disaster that is almost inevitable. :eek: Then the fight will move to weight...who can keep a potato chip from coming apart...so maybe there should be a weight break also per HP for this and sanction it further...again if it's about advertising...make it meaningful to those that the advertising touches. I could give a chit who has more money to throw at this effort...but who really pound for pound/ HP for HP offers more performance, now that I could take an interest in! ;) Let them showboat an "unlimited" effort with piston engines...but take this battle to the customer also with something meaningful to the majority. :) Reggie's real rep has always been about V-bottom perf for the dollar at whatever real world HP level you choose (you know, the recreational boater who boats every weekend on real-world reliable power)...don't forget Mr. Fountain, this is what is really up for grabs.