Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   APACHE ... "What should you buy?" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69284-apache-what-should-you-buy.html)

LEOPAJM 01-18-2004 08:33 AM

APACHE ... "What should you buy?"

Well here we are a couple years down the road ... Apache hasn't built a new boat yet and it doesn't seem like too many have changed hands out there either ???

Yet ... whenever there's ANY mention of Apache on here the natives get restless and the place goes NUTS (and alot of the most vocal don't even own one !?!?!?

So I'm surfin around this am and I zip thru the classifieds to find a ton of Apaches for sale (two whole pages) and I know there's a bunch of guys runnin around lookin to buy one .... so what gives ??? Do the guys that are selling stuck at too high a price ??? Or is my buddy from the south on to something when he says ... " Aw nobody wants to actually run these things DAMMIT ... they just want to hang around the bar and talk about it !!!"

Well ??????

CAP071 01-18-2004 08:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing! I seen a whole page full of them for sale. But I was looking for a 2000-2003 model year :D

R Addiction 01-18-2004 08:45 AM

CAP.....key word there is LOOKING!!!:p

CAP071 01-18-2004 08:47 AM

Hey Now cut me some slack I'm trying :)

I can't believe how many dealers on boattrader don't even respond to e-mail inquires

CAP071 01-18-2004 08:49 AM

Hey addiction how far are you from

ALL STAR MARINE
2434 Holly Neck Road
Baltimore, MD 21221 ?

WesSmith 01-18-2004 08:52 AM

Re: APACHE ... "What should you buy?"

Originally posted by LEOPAJM
Well here we are a couple years down the road ... Apache hasn't built a new boat yet and it doesn't seem like too many have changed hands out there either ???

Yet ... whenever there's ANY mention of Apache on here the natives get restless and the place goes NUTS (and alot of the most vocal don't even own one !?!?!?

So I'm surfin around this am and I zip thru the classifieds to find a ton of Apaches for sale (two whole pages) and I know there's a bunch of guys runnin around lookin to buy one .... so what gives ??? Do the guys that are selling stuck at too high a price ??? Or is my buddy from the south on to something when he says ... " Aw nobody wants to actually run these things DAMMIT ... they just want to hang around the bar and talk about it !!!"

Well ??????

I saw the same thing.

I looked around for a very long time before I purchased mine because I wanted something that was near perfect and so much of what I saw wasn't ( although it was advertised to be ) .

Can't speak for the other potential buyers though !

:cool:

SLINGSHOT 01-18-2004 08:52 AM

to me most are priced really fair, I think these guys want to get a bargain on something that you just won't get a bargain on, simply for the fact that most guys who own them don't need to sell them so they will sit until some one pays what they want..

R Addiction 01-18-2004 08:57 AM

Originally posted by CAP071
Hey addiction how far are you from

ALL STAR MARINE
2434 Holly Neck Road
Baltimore, MD 21221 ?

About 25 miles closer than you!!

My brother in law had a 22 Stingray and we used to take it there for warranty issues. Why? It is on Middle River....want to go by boat? I'm up for that, let me grab my waterproof parka. I'll meet you at Morrows!!:p

CAP071 01-18-2004 08:59 AM

They have a boat I'm interested in down there. Let's go take it for a test ride. there's gotta be some waves that we can jump out there today! :D

Payton 01-18-2004 09:00 AM

I would love to be running an Apache! With my budget, I have to look at every cost. I simply can't afford to.
Even If I were to find one for a steal of a price, I still would have to pay the insurance evey year. A 10 year old hull with 700-800hp per side. The insurance rates would be a deal breaker!
I think there are a lot of guys like me out there.

If something new, Apache based, comes out( I hope it does) I am sure it also will be out of my price range untill I retire and sell a farm or two.;)
Untill then, I'll always be a dreamer.:cool:

sean stinson 01-18-2004 09:03 AM

Re: APACHE ... "What should you buy?"

Originally posted by LEOPAJM

Well ??????

Well here's my .02...I have personally owned a few of these boats and currently do not have one, BUT I am going to have another one as soon as money permits.

The people that are most vocal about buying one I have personally told them of many great deals and then the excuses start some of which are viable and most very petty. The petty ones could be easily fixed or you could just put on a pair of sunglasses as most of these boats are very loud which is how most were created. That being said most of the people that want one couldn't really afford the upkeep because it is expensive to do it. When I ran Geronimo for instance for 2 hours of running it took about 6 hrs (as a general rule of thumb) of clean up and other stuff to put it away until next time. So now if you don't want to deal with that you need to get someone that will CORRECTLY take care of that for you. Both cost money not an exorbitant amount but still enough.

Also these things seem to run in cycles when they become available and they seem to run in 2-3 year cycles. That is what probably explains a lot of them popping up for sale currently.

I hope this helps to explain some of the insanity that is happening now.

Sean

WesSmith 01-18-2004 09:04 AM

Hey Sean !

I bought one that you personally did some work on !

I'm impressed :D :cool:

later 01-18-2004 09:05 AM

the Apache name in offshore does have a mystic around it thats for sure, but what i believe it comes down to is the fact that it is a 10-20 yr old boat that in many cases needs alot of TLC, is hard to finance and insure. I would love to have a ride in a Apache so that i could experience first hand what the feel is. I have looked at a few over the past couple yrs and each one would have needed conciderable $$ put into the boat to end up with a reliable and cosmetically attractive boat ( updated interior, paint etc. ) .
later

WesSmith 01-18-2004 09:07 AM

Originally posted by later
the Apache name in offshore does have a mystic around it thats for sure, but what i believe it comes down to is the fact that it is a 10-20 yr old boat that in many cases needs alot of TLC, is hard to finance and insure. I would love to have a ride in a Apache so that i could experience first hand what the feel is. I have looked at a few over the past couple yrs and each one would have needed conciderable $$ put into the boat to end up with a reliable and cosmetically attractive boat ( updated interior, paint etc. ) .
later

I agree and disagree...I had no difficulty with financing and Bob Luellen hooked me up with a pretty good deal on insurance.:)

R Addiction 01-18-2004 09:08 AM

Hey Sean , Have you talked to Ike yet? Give me some inside info....what's he looking at?

P.S. I am his brother...It's a need to know thing!!!;)

sean stinson 01-18-2004 09:12 AM

Originally posted by R Addiction
Hey Sean , Have you talked to Ike yet? Give me some inside info....what's he looking at?

P.S. I am his brother...It's a need to know thing!!!;)

Sent him a PM and haven't heard back from him.

lucy 01-18-2004 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lucy merc special is being repowered as we type.the cost is heavy.most are sold when they get tired.fortunatly we invested in xtra power instead of graphics.to repower from scatch heap big bucks and a lot of down time.240 hours is what we got out of new 800sc.leaned #7 on the pump motor.we hope to be running in a week.3 week down time......

cya lucy........

R Addiction 01-18-2004 09:13 AM

36................47.................22........... ..?;)

sean stinson 01-18-2004 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Wes Smith
Hey Sean !

I bought one that you personally did some work on !

I'm impressed :D :cool:

Well thank you. I am sending you a PM as we speak here.

Sean

WARPAINT 01-18-2004 09:33 AM

Originally posted by lucy
lucy merc special is being repowered as we type.the cost is heavy.most are sold when they get tired.fortunatly we invested in xtra power instead of graphics.to repower from scatch heap big bucks and a lot of down time.240 hours is what we got out of new 800sc.leaned #7 on the pump motor.we hope to be running in a week.3 week down time......

cya lucy........

Whats on the sling.Formula or Chris craft Stinger?

lucy 01-18-2004 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1975 28 cig ss.saugatuck mich.broward shipyard.note the tow vehicle.the boat i bought from mike freidman.his first offshore boat he rigged himself................

Comanche3Six 01-18-2004 09:51 AM

I fit into the catagory of vocal wannabuy.
When considering something as expensive as a clean used Apache I have to really like the boat. I'm talking paint, power, interior, price and condition. And yes insurance could be a deal breaker. Sy Goldberg gave me the best insurance quote on a Apache I was considering.
Maybe I am cheap, maybe the two Apaches I like are overpriced, but until I feel comfortable with making what I consider a major purchase then I will not do it. I will continue to shop. Since it is my money that I am spending I will decide when and on what I will spend it. If it is your money I would spend the hell out of it plus order extra engines, outdrives etc. I would keep Sean so busy doing upgrades he would not need another customer.
In conclusion I wish all prospective Apache buyers and sellers....Happy Hunting.

lucy 01-18-2004 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cigfox; i would suggest buying without power.start fresh know what you have.take care of it like you paid for it.reading your past posts you seem skepticle.good way to be when buying.my 2 cents.........

cya lucy...............

lucy 01-18-2004 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
fred.the bottom line is each and every boat has its own spec.so each boat has a differant attatude. therefore each has its own value.meanstreak looks like mine but weighs twice as much.mine rigged by tommy evans meanstreak tommy oquin.they are all very differant.

lucy 01-18-2004 10:41 AM

fred you are informed.most sellers are looking for the uninformed impulse buyer.this is only my 2cents.

cya lucy...........

lucy 01-18-2004 10:59 AM

I DID ..................

dhlaw 01-18-2004 11:02 AM

I think alot of owners get confused about what a boat is worth...... A boat is only worth what the market will bring at sale...period. You can ask for the sky in price but until that boat sells you have not gotten to FMV. This is true for Apache, Cig, Baja, etc. There are quite a few people with distorted views of value of their rigs and there seems to be a lack of understanding of the difference between asking price and FMV.

WARPAINT 01-18-2004 11:04 AM

Originally posted by lucy
I DID ..................
Mark, lets talk about the NY hat.Are you still wearing the same one from 30 years ago or do you have hundreds of them;)

Do you wear it to bed also:D

Panther 01-18-2004 11:24 AM

I wonder if it has a lot to do with the financing and the price together?

I recently put a bid on a 36' and was approved for a loan that had all the risk put on me and the payments were thru the roof.

The boat was what I was looking for in terms of length and overall appeal. It needed a lot of work though and no one was willing to give me details on the condition of the motors. It needed interior, paint touch up, and maybe going thru the motors and drivetrain. All that doesn't scare me because I do everything myself except upholstry. Anyone who knows me knows that I barely ever have downtime with my boat.

What did scare me was what the bank explained to me. They said that there were a few factors involved. I applied for a 15 yr loan so that my payments would be reasonable. The bank felt that the boat being a 1995 with BIG power would have no value in 15yrs and if i were to default on the loan they could not get their money back. They were willing to give me a 7 yr. loan with payments that were double. I was not willing to take the risk or change my lifestyle. I will just have to wait and same more $$ so this is not an issue.

Bottom line is I need to have hard cash to buy these boats because it is a luxury and not an investment.

Hopefully in the meantime intrest rates don't go thru the roof and there will still be some good deals out there when I am ready.

Panther

lucy 01-18-2004 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
41 apache no power.40,000.my 2cents

BLee 01-18-2004 11:56 AM

Originally posted by WARPAINT
Mark, lets talk about the NY hat.Are you still wearing the same one from 30 years ago or do you have hundreds of them;)

Do you wear it to bed also:D

Told ya Mark puts cya Lucy.... at the bottom sometimes. Joint membership. :cool:

WARPAINT 01-18-2004 11:58 AM

Originally posted by cigracer38
Told ya Mark puts cya Lucy.... at the bottom sometimes. Joint membership. :cool:
Because of those two i have learned to read minds;) :D

lucy 01-18-2004 12:20 PM

yellowbird that is the old team apache boat not mine.the one rc lofted the cigar boat froam.

cya lucy............

lucy 01-18-2004 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by cigracer38
hi cig ! we are joined at the hip. CYA!!!

lucy 01-18-2004 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by yellowbird
So there are two Apaches running around that look real similar. Thats a first. Way cool.

Geez. the price for the boat in the ad says $99K.
If its still there and at that price , I would think people would be jumping of over that boat, even if it needs maintaince or not.

they are very differant take a better look!!

lucy 01-18-2004 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

WARPAINT 01-18-2004 12:56 PM

The Great White.When you are ready to sell i know a guy who wants that boat:cool:

Comanche3Six 01-18-2004 01:02 PM

I love those Apache race hatches. Functional and great looking closed. Access to the entire engine room when open. Nice!

HiPerf2000 01-18-2004 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

SLINGSHOT 01-18-2004 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
never seen that ad before