Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION >

HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Notices

HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by Mintish Panther
it can be challenging on the main channel between Tan-Tar-A and The Lodge ANY weekend between June and Sept. in anything less than about 28-30'.

Wow, does the boat traffic really make LOTO that rough? Or are you saying the lake is so crowded that you'll get run over in a small boat? Is the lake largely bordered by bulkheads so that the waves don't dissipate (like Lake Conroe in Houston)? I have yet to be in a freshwater environment where I was not comfortable in my boat. (BTW, our boats are 232 Baja and 225 Sea Ray.)

Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ledges were nice.

Jon
Old 01-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been staying at a rental condo at the Ledges. Very nice condos, reasonably priced, great slips, quiet bay...
Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally felt that on major holiday weekends my 28 Pantera was the smallest boat I wanted to be out in after 12 noon. Before noon you are OK and later in the evening a smaller boat is OK and any weekday that isn't a holiday you will be good to go. Not to say you can have your boat out on a holiday but it will be rough.

It is a combinatin of the steep walls around the lake and the number and size of boats that will be out. The 25 or so MM to the Dam and PC will be a zoo on holidays going the other way you would also find it much more comfortable but also less to do at that end of the lake.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Ric232

I've already decided I'm not going on a holiday weekend; not with a 3yr old.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

PMG will find you exactly what your looking for.
I agree a condo would be nice if your in the right complex. I dont think you can beat the Ledges or Indian Point either.

We have a friend who rents their 3 bedroom place out at Westside Bay. (thats where our place is too) its Very clean a pool right out front and a pretty nice cove, on the water at the 11 and just across the community bridge from Osage Beach (10 Minutes). This is the link to their place http://www.vrbo.com./24438

Tony is right on about 4 seasons. If I was to stay at a giant complex like that Tan Tara blows 4 seasons away.

2 weeks after the 4th is usually a good week at the lake.

Last edited by LutzParty; 01-25-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally posted by Ric232
Wow, does the boat traffic really make LOTO that rough? Or are you saying the lake is so crowded that you'll get run over in a small boat? Is the lake largely bordered by bulkheads so that the waves don't dissipate (like Lake Conroe in Houston)? I have yet to be in a freshwater environment where I was not comfortable in my boat. (BTW, our boats are 232 Baja and 225 Sea Ray.)
Waves do not disipate much due to rock shores and seawalls. The lake is also no real wide. The main channel is pretty much a 3'-5' washing machine on Sat afternnoons. There are a ton of 35'-50' cruisers on the lake. I would not take my 3 year old out on a Sat afternoon in my 28 Pantera. I did have him out during the week a few times though when he was only 9 months old.

Like said by others, I would rent a condo. Parkview bay is nice and it is close to the action if you go one direction, and the water is calm if you go other. You do have to go thru a 1/2 mile no wake area and some of the roughest water on the lake to get to the hot spots.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:06 AM
Registered

Griff, what the hayal is anyone doing up this early on a workday?

Wow, does the boat traffic really make LOTO that rough? Or are you saying the lake is so crowded that you'll get run over in a small boat? Is the lake largely bordered by bulkheads so that the waves don't dissipate
You don't exactly have small boats. Actually, they're going to be the perfect size except for about 12 hours a week when you think about it. Comparatively steep shores are pretty effective at bouncing waves back. Put that together with a more-or-less directional traffic channel that has boats moving parallel with each other in either direction, and it all combines to make the perfect wave machine.

Yes, there are lots of boats, but that's the draw in the first place. It's like a major boat show every weekend. No, you won't get run over.

With a whole week here it is easy to plan the best boating times with other activities too. You have one definite advantage with your boats. They're the perfect size for weekday scenic cruises all the way up the various arms like the Gravois and Niangua, and without busting your budget on gas. Lots of attractions, - you're gonna be busy. Just get up here, you'll love it.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Awesome35

A non Holiday weekend will be great for you & the extended family.You can sample plenty of action on either of the weekends your there.I have a house across from the 4 Seasons & can say the location is convienient to about everything.I have never stayed there though. Unless you have a pretty big boat (30+) the place gets rougher than hell on weekends & Holidays.During the week boating wise you'll have a blast.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good advice above.
Tbone speaketh much truth.

Here is another thought for your group: The wife and I have also stayed at several different places at the lake, but without a doubt our favorite is a place called the Gardenhouse Bed and Breakfast.
It is five star quality rooms and service as well as outstanding food!
The Bed and Breakfast part scares most people. Trust me this is a beautiful home that would sell for over $1 million if it were on the open market.
Plus, the people that own and operate it are a ball to hang with, and they have become good frinds of ours.
They have a new martini deck that sits over the water with hot tub, a dock, jacuzzi in two rooms, large decks to sit and watch early morning traffic, etc.
It is on the main channel about mile marker 4.
Check it out:
http://www.thegardenhousebnb.com/

Here is a pic of the home:
Attached Thumbnails HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION-frontpage8.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP ME PLAN "LOTO" VACATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.