Notices
View Poll Results: To wait or not to wait?
Hang in there for the 28
24.24%
Get the 24 and have fun in the meantime
75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

To wait or not to wait?

Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for what you can aford today. Who knows what the next 2-4 years will bring. As people go through life they are seldom sorry for things they did, but rather for things they didn't do.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Danny_Ocean

Pro... got to get out there

Con... never happy because I settled for something other than what I wanted.... Trying to sell now to get what I want and unless you give it away, it's a tough sell in this market...

Suggestion.... get something at a bargain price now so you don't lose your shirt when you go for what you really want.... when you go for what you want... make sure it will be the one to last you a long time.... moving from one boat to another can be a costly jump...
With a slight change of wording, same advice could be applied to women...

Seriously, though. You only live once. Each boating season you spend on the dock is one more year of missed fun & experiences. I bought something very affordable (under $12k) and will run it until if falls apart. By then, if business continues as current, I'll have the $$$ to purchase (almost) anything. But, I won't have missed out on the fun.

See you out there,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all the respones guys.
I've put the buy off for a few yrs now...
and I'm kinda itching to get out there.
My father has a sportfisher which I can go out
on anytime... but its still not mine and it ain't HP.
My few friends who have boats have a 24 searay and
a 28 Formula. But its just not the same. When I was younger I had a 13 then a 17 whaler... and it was a trip, just going out alone to put some wind in my hair and clear my mind.

Yellowbird, funny you keep posting pics of Pantera... cuz that's what I want. The used 28's and even new(too old's) would run 70K+.
I could get into a used 24 in the teens.
There are few used 28s(no outboard please) less than 40k, which is still alot more than the teens.

If I paid 13-15 for a boat, how much of a beating could I take if I had to sell it?

Either way, it would be fun to have a HP!

I boat in the LI sound, so more length would be nice,
but I believe the 24 would slice through a 2-3ft chop.

Also, I'm not looking to do 80mph+. I've got 2 young kids that will be coming out w/ me occasionally.
I'd think low 60s would be suffice.

Again, thanks for the help... this forum is great!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not lookin to get bashed here so I will come straight out and say that for a 24, I think the Pantera is as good as they come. But there are other makes that are good boats and maybe just a little more affordable. I have'nt seen to many cheap Panteras unless they were beat. For example, I got a 1988 Baja 240 Sport that, except for a couple of scratches, is pristine. Paid 24 for it and a heavy duty trailer that can tow a 28 footer so it rides better and will last longer. Boat had 272 hours, fresh when I bought it. Maybe I paid too much maybe not. But the boat has been great and trouble free. Good luck in your search.