ACL replacement....who's had it >

ACL replacement....who's had it

Notices

ACL replacement....who's had it

Old 02-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ACL replacement....who's had it

I go in Friday to have my ACL done and have my knee cleaned up. I bent it backwards in November and it just doesn't work good anymore for how active I am. If I wanted to stop riding motorcyles I could live with it.

Anyway the doctor says 3-6 months for it to be good as new. I have never been down more than a week, I'am hoping in two months I'll be atleast able to do everything but run and ride hard. Has any of yall had this done? The Doctor is using a Dead guys ACL and making the screws to hold it in out of my own bone, he says that will be the best way for me and will heal the fastest.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, even my dog had his ACL replaced. Made him puppyish again. So, you should be running around on all fours marking trees in no time.

It's important to do the physical therapy religiously. The time frames may be optimistic, but think of the alternative.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Registered

i had my PCL done 2 years ago. The PCL is a more involved surgery bacause the PCL is in the back, while the ACL is in the front. My surgery was 7 hours. The ACL should only be 1 - 2 hours. I also had the cavadver ligament put in. i have one bolt through my femer bone and two bolts attaching it to my shin bone. my bolts are titanium.

I play semi-pro soccer and it took me about 7 months to get back. It will never be 100% normal though. i can feel a bit of pain when i start running, then it goes away...but the next day it's pretty sore. I dont think bike riding will be a problem.....is more of the pounding that hurts. Bike actually feels good.

It's all about re-hab and how hard you want to work at it. Problem with a PCL surgery, is that i needed to be fully imobilized (kept straight) for 2 months before i could begin to move it and start rehab.

I believe now, they will put you on a motion machine right after ACL surgery. motion is the key with ACL's. I've seen pleyers come back in full in 2 months.

Good luck. just keep up with the rehab to build your leg back up and you will be fine. i'd say 95%.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it done with a cadaver ligament. You can be up and around pretty quick but I would say at least 4 months before you start getting back to normal. Sticking to the rehab is the key. You can get back sooner if you really work at it.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lapse,, I had it done 6 years ago, and I can't add a thing to what Chart, High Perf, and Offshore Racer have sd!! My Hamstring was used to repair mine. The Cadaver Ligament replacement was just being perfected back then and was'nt an Option!! One of my old Racing buddies had his fixed last year, with a Cadaver Ligament and his Rehab was a Cake walk compared to mine!!! They had him up walking the next Day!! He was back Racing in 3 months!!

Good Luck!!! youre going to hate your Physical Therapist!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Well the bike I'am riding is a 03 yz 450, I use to jump it about 75 feet and 30-40 feet off the ground. My Doctor wants me to stay away from stuff like that for 6 months. He says the first rehab will be just being able to bend it. I was hoping you guys would say he's full of it and you will be fine in a month. But it looks like I'm going to be fed up.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine on a WR250!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it done when I was a senior in high school (10 years ago). Took about 10 months of PT, but I screwed around a lot when I wasn't supposed to.

I went in the Marine Corps a few years later, no problems.

The took a graft from the left side of the same leg, fed it through, and screwed it in. The screws are still in with now problems.

Best thing to do is get the swelling down and suck up the pain and try to bend it as much as possible to get your range back.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

i was back riding my banshee in 3 months.......i would have to have my friends kick start it for me cause that was my bad side. I only had 50% movement at this time.

i would say you will be riding in about 1-1/2 - 2 months. Jumping by the third month, and jumping big as soon as you feel comfortable. you will know when it's time.

Even today, everything i do i (sub-consciously) favor my better leg. i notice myself shifting weight so i am landing on the good leg with my weight.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

I now have the astric knee braces, so it wont happen again.

Quick Reply: ACL replacement....who's had it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.