If you ever want to sell your boat one day;
1. Big Cubes NA
2. Blower

If you want to keep it till you die of old age;
Turbo
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

I think you should just put nice stock power under the hatch and bolt a JATO rocket on top that way you can have the best of both worlds, turn key reliability and speed at the touch of a button.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here I heard this baby rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Supercharge or Turbocharge-barbie%25202.jpg  
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by GLH
If you ever want to sell your boat one day;
1. Big Cubes NA
2. Blower

If you want to keep it till you die of old age;
Turbo
yeap! I agree!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

My Boats: 1993 Sonic 31ss

Where is Tom Earhart???He is the King of marine turbo he rocks!!!!last I heard 1400+ hp one bad a$$ ride!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

Ok first as far as intercooling in a marine environment I would never consider an air-to-air system. This would be dumb because you are sitting on a world of cool water just outside the boat. Water cools 25 times more efficiently than air. Why wouldn't you go with a water-to-air IC setup like the GMC Syclones & Typhoons? One concern I have about blowers is that they have a short life before they need to be refreshed. Now correct me if I'm wrong about that because my SC experience is lacking. Turbo lag can be minimized by using 2 ball bearing S-trim (or H-trim) turbo with the proper A/R ratio. BOVs can also be used to eliminate compressor surge when the throttle is dropped. In the past I have developed a way to isolate the heat from the turbine side and the compressor side without the use of the fire prone thermowrap. (I know I lost my GMC Syclone #811 to a thermowrap fire) I just think that if I can find the correct water jacketed manifolds I think I can get this to work successfully. I really want to keep my engine hatch looking stock too which pretty much means a roots type blower is out. I feel comfortable building a turbocharged engine because of my experience. I have put together a 2835cc Toyota inline 6 that makes well in excess of 850 HP and it gets driven almost daily. I had to go as far as to manufacture my own fuel rail system to fit with the newer T51 turbo. I have no doubt I can make big horsepower this way and have NO downtime if I can get the exhaust plumbing straightened out.

Thanks for all the great replies.
Roby
Old 02-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona

I have had turbo power for the last 25+ years. With waste gates you do not have to worry about lag. At least I did not have any. From off idle if you hammered the throttle it was instant max. boost. I had dial on dash where I could change from min. 4.5 lbs to max of 17. The setup I had (gale banks) the exhaust manifolds were limiting my max HP. The main problem I had was it was too easy to crank more boost into the engine. Richard Lee makes an awesome setup for turbos. I have 2 friends that have his setup.

I went the pro-charger & Cami header route 3 years ago & have not looked back. Motor is running 10lbs now & holding up better that before (harder to increase the max boost now) with more HP then I had before with turbos @ same boost.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 2000 Baja 36 Outlaw

Supercharge it for the water.

Turbo for the street.

Who said a supercharger has a short life span. I run a whipplecharger and it will alst a long time. It is based on the Eaton design which is the same one used by most car mfgs and the car will go 100k+.

Keep and eye out for a used whipple setup on ebay. It will also have an air to water intercooler that is extremely efficient.

BOOST BABY !!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

My Boats: 1991 34' Super Hawaii

I used to have a twin turboed engine. It ran great! It was an olderstyle turbo system with a blowoff vavle on the carb box. boost would start to build at about 2800rpms. When getting on plane, the engine only had to build a few hundred rpms when the boost would start to come on. Then I had to back out of the throttle to keep from breaking the prop loose.
It had log style manifolds and water jacketed turbos.

I've often wondered if a turbo could be adapted to a Gil style manifild. Seems like it would be a natural fit.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Registered

I agree with Troutly.... Rootes type superchargers will go many more hours than the engines themselves. Most of the time turbos will be seizing and coking their center sections a lot faster than a supercharger will be wearing out it's seals and bearings. A supercharger with worn seal strips will still pump and work to a certain degree.... the strips can only wear so much... but once a turbo is seized....or the bearings are gone... it is dead matter in the path of the exhaust... talk about stuffed up performance!