Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71176-all-our-jobs-have-gone-india.html)

Charmed1 02-07-2004 07:36 AM

All Of Our Jobs Have Gone To India

A couple of years ago I built a house with brand new G.E appliances. Two months after we moved in the refrigerator was having some issues so I called the 800 number for warranty issues. My call was TRANSFERED to INDIA :mad: The individual could barely speak English. This burner my a$$ since I am in the telecommunications industry and unfortunately my line of work enabled this to happen. I had some computer problems (DELL) last night and it is still under warranty so I called the 800 number and guess where I went INDIA :mad: after spending 45 minutes on the phone with a dumb a$$ with very broken English named (SANDY) I got the supervisor (GEORGE) on the phone and the problem solved in 6 minutes. They can't even use there own names and choose AMERICAN names. The DELL commercial in my opinion is FALSE advertising!!!!! It shows young AMERICAN ENGLISH SPEAKING interns in what would appear to be a large AMERICAN, UNITED STATES building in the customer support department, BULL $hit!!!!!

Since this is an election year I have sent emails to the candidates since they are all talking about the economy of the UNITED STATES being so poor they need to hear about what is happening first hand from us
(UNITED STATES) !!!!!!!!!!!! I have also sent an email to DELL COMPUTERS. I know they will probably fall on blind eyes but at least I know I have done something.

Thanks for letting me vent I just had to get this out of my system.

fountain1fan 02-07-2004 08:14 AM

check out cafta

ChrisK 02-07-2004 08:18 AM

Whats cafta?

I also see many of our things being outsourced. I am also in the Telco industry, and more and more jobs that used to be done "in house" are being contracted out... Its sad, but reality...

Indy 02-07-2004 08:25 AM

This isn't news, and it's more wide spread than you think. Most companies don't publicize it when they make the move. Asia, India, Mexico are killing us. Remember NAFTA? Ross Perot was right!!

Panther 02-07-2004 08:26 AM

They actually teach these guys how to speak with accents. They "try" to teach them how to speak with southern accents and NY accents. Can you believe that crap.

And all these Indian firms all say they can do it better than US. I think these countries are the real threat to the US and not some guys hanging out in caves in mountains.

mr_velocity 02-07-2004 09:25 AM

Yup I'm in IT also and have been seeing it happen all the time. Dell is bringing it's call center back to the US. When you have problems like this with call centers, call and complain to the company. Send emails to the entire executive team.

Pantera1 02-07-2004 09:42 AM

WTF
http://www.ustr.gov/new/fta/cafta.htm

mmwalters 02-07-2004 10:20 AM

Thank you Mr Bush!!!

Pantera1 02-07-2004 10:22 AM

NO

Thank you CLINTON SCUM !!!!

my32dominator 02-07-2004 10:30 AM

Seems to me both are guilty of this.:hothead: :hothead:

BK 02-07-2004 11:00 AM

Last fall, the economic report said that GDP rose 8%.
This was hailed as a victory.

However, the labor costs declined by 15%.

This meant that workers producing 8% more for 15% less. Corporations were ecstatic about this, but it meant workers were seeing benefits dissapear and getting lower and lower wages.

We are inching closer and closer to the Honduras way of life.

Here's some about the people in charge of CAFTA:

http://www.ustr.gov/about-ustr/officials.shtml

Chief:

Robert B. Zoellick , Ambassador, United States Trade Representative

Robert B. Zoellick assumed office as the 13th U.S. Trade Representative on February 7, 2001.

As U.S. Trade Representative, Mr. Zoellick is a member of President Bush's Cabinet, with the rank of Ambassador, and serves as the President's principal trade policy adviser and chief trade negotiator.

During his tenure as U.S. Trade Representative, Mr. Zoellick completed the negotiations to bring China and Taiwan into the World Trade Organization; developed a strategy to launch new global trade negotiations at the WTO meeting in Doha; completed Free Trade Agreements with Singapore, Chile, and Jordan, as well as the Vietnam Trade Agreement; launched Free Trade Agreement negotiations with Australia, Morocco, the five nations of Central America and the Dominican Republic, the five nations of the Southern African Customs Union, and Bahrain; and worked with Congress to pass the Trade Act of 2002, which included new Trade Promotion Authority.

Peter Frederick Allgeier
Deputy U.S. Trade Representative

Ambassador Peter F. Allgeier is the Deputy U.S. Trade Representative, in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR). USTR is part of the Executive Office of the President. He was nominated for this position by President George W. Bush, and confirmed by the Senate on May 26, 2001.

frequentflyer 02-07-2004 11:19 AM

Dell is bringing their call center back to the US because of the problems they have had with language ect... However and this is a big HOWEVER, IBM just signed a contract that will affect 6000 employees here in the U.S. They are being outsourced to India. These guys make between 80-100K here and they are getting guys in India with Masters and sometimes PHD degrees making 20 - 30 K a yr. These companies don't care about jobs they just care about the bottom line. It is a big thing right now in the IT industry to outsource to India. It's cheaper and the programmers do not have to talk to customers or end users. They have liasons here to handle the communications with the respective business entities. It is ridiculous and unless government does something about it, we, the people of the United States, will lose. Dell bringing their call center back is a good first step, but they are only doing so because of end user / customer preception. This will not be the case with the higher paying IT jobs.
Something needs to be done and it needs to be done by the politicians NOW !!

Ric232 02-07-2004 11:30 AM

Originally posted by BK
Last fall, the economic report said that GDP rose 8%.
This was hailed as a victory.

However, the labor costs declined by 15%.

This meant that workers producing 8% more for 15% less. Corporations were ecstatic about this, but it meant workers were seeing benefits dissapear and getting lower and lower wages.

Bull$hit . . . ever heard of increasing productivity? They can accomplish more due to less work thanks to advancements in technology.

mlitefan 02-07-2004 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Ric232
Bull$hit . . . ever heard of increasing productivity? They can accomplish more due to less work thanks to advancements in technology.
Yep...all you need to do is look at the advances in the farming industry to understand this.

How many "farmers" did we have 50 years ago vs. today?

mlitefan 02-07-2004 11:58 AM

And, contrary to popular belief, people don't start companies to provide jobs for others...they do it to make a profit.

That is the cold hard reality.

Danny_Ocean 02-07-2004 12:02 PM

Gee...we're losing telemarketing and call-center jobs to India. So what? They can have 'em.

Now, perhaps the people who "lost" these "high-paying" jobs will get an education in math or engineering so we can get back to kicking Japan's, China's and Germany's arse in design and production.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

mlitefan 02-07-2004 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Danny_Ocean
Gee...we're losing telemarketing and call-center jobs to India. So what? They can have 'em.

Now, perhaps the people who "lost" these "high-paying" jobs will get an education in math or engineering so we can get back to kicking Japan's, China's and Germany's arse in design and production.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Yep...That is the HUGE upside to all of this that almost never gets discussed.

GeoGraphics INC 02-07-2004 12:27 PM

All those jobs will soon be back here, because at the rate the people are coming to N. America there will be none left in the country to do them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 12:52 PM

Re: NO

Originally posted by Pantera1
Thank you CLINTON SCUM !!!!
Absolutely!!! It was the Clinton administration that made China our "most favored trading nation"... They gave them that status for years... now all of our manufacturing jobs are being done in China... They said " it doesn't matter.... we don't want those dirty mill jobs anyway... we can retrain Americans to do clean jobs like customer service and things in the service industry". Sure... now all customer service over the phone goes to India.... and all of our service work is done by Illegal aliens here. Talk about a huge network... if you aren't mexican here in Los Angeles... it is almost impossible to get a job in construction... if there is an opening... they hurry and get one of their cousins up from Mexico to fill the slot.... WE ARE EXPERIENCING A FOREIGN INVASION ! We should invade Mexico under the guise that they have weapons of mass destruction ( they do.... out of control birth rate)... and start exploiting their natural resources... nice beaches... Which we as foreigners can't buy any land near... etc etc.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 12:56 PM

Is the person that wrote this asleep? Anything we design.... is quickly copied over in China and sent back at pennies on the dollar... We are losing the ability to manufacture anything. The Chinese don't respect any trademark or copy write laws... they just counterfeit anything they want... including our technology and machine tools.

BK 02-07-2004 04:12 PM

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 made most legal immigrants who arrived after August 22, 1996 ineligible for federal means-tested welfare benefits unless they are refugees, veterans of the US Armed Services, or have worked at least 10 years in the US. Immigrants were 10 to 15 percent of the recipients of benefits under most welfare programs in 1996. When PRWORA was enacted, 44 percent of the projected savings to the federal government were attributed to making immigrants not eligible for welfare benefits.

In 2002, at the urging of President Bush, immigrants became eligible for Food Stamps after five years in the US- the House voted 244 to 171 to restore Food Stamp benefits to immigrants in April 2002, over the objections of House leaders. In June 2002, the Senate approved giving states the option of providing Medicaid to legal immigrant children and pregnant women, with the federal government sharing the cost- the federal share is projected to be $2.2 billion over 10 years.

mr_velocity 02-07-2004 05:54 PM

Originally posted by mlitefan
Yep...That is the HUGE upside to all of this that almost never gets discussed.
Sorry no upside. Hi-tech jobs are leaving this country at an alarming rate. These are the white collar jobs that were paying 100K/ year. On the bright side, companies are finding that the golden lining of offshoring isn't so golden. Rates are going up in India and the programmers don't have the talent of the US engineers. The model that companies are trying to use is the same model that was used in manufacturing. However, software development is not an assembly job like a manufacturing job. It requires 90% design engineering. The quality of the software just isn't there.

Hi-tech is so bad in NJ that unemployment will no longer allow any computer related training for those without jobs.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:08 PM

Originally posted by BK
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 made most legal immigrants who arrived after August 22, 1996 ineligible for federal means-tested welfare benefits unless they are refugees, veterans of the US Armed Services, or have worked at least 10 years in the US. Immigrants were 10 to 15 percent of the recipients of benefits under most welfare programs in 1996. When PRWORA was enacted, 44 percent of the projected savings to the federal government were attributed to making immigrants not eligible for welfare benefits.

In 2002, at the urging of President Bush, immigrants became eligible for Food Stamps after five years in the US- the House voted 244 to 171 to restore Food Stamp benefits to immigrants in April 2002, over the objections of House leaders. In June 2002, the Senate approved giving states the option of providing Medicaid to legal immigrant children and pregnant women, with the federal government sharing the cost- the federal share is projected to be $2.2 billion over 10 years.

BK.... it's obvious you don't live in California.... almost every Mexican that jumps over the border illegally has a relative already living here... they have learned how to milk the system.. the hospitals CANNOT REFUSE them medical care on the basis of ability to pay... guess who picks up the tab... you got it... Joe American citizen.You think the Mexicans are bad at exploiting the system? Try the Armenians or the Russians.... they have lots of experience exploiting the old soviet system... you should see them driving up to the grocery stores in their new Mercedes Benzs... paying for food with food stamps... they have figured out every angle... they even have their own atorneys advertising on television on how to get immigration status and free welfare... The mexicans drive here WITHOUT drivers licenses... or even the minimum of insurance... why bother? The police won't even ticket them if they get into an accident.. it just means more paper work for them and the illegal isn't going to show up or pay the fine anyway... they just continue on their merry way... and then change their name from Ramirez to Rodriguez the next time they get pulled over... but me... being a white boy... they put the screws to me... I have to be legal eagle or they put me in jail.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:26 PM

Danny _ Ocean just doesn't understand that a job market is like an ecosystem.... The entire economy is dependent upon these "entry level jobs" just as an ecosystem is dependent upon insects. If you remove all the insects.. of course the problem of the flies goes away... but along with the flies are the bees... hmmmm... if there are no bees... what is going to pollinate our crops? What is going to feed the wild birds?... you see.... every society has to have these entry jobs... we can't have all of our manufacturing jobs going to China... or tech jobs to India... The reality of life is there are some people in this society that are never going to be able to educate themselves to achieve a job above anything more than just that of an automaton. If we don't provide some kind of meaningful employment for them... then they become a burden on the rest of us. Couple that with a large influx of unskilled labor and it spells a downward spiral of our living standard. Until Clinton allowed China to flood our markets with cheap goods... the average Chinese person lived on a farm and cooked in a communal kitchen using cow dung for fuel..... Is that what they want for us? Because pretty soon we will all be out of jobs. Corporate America doensn't care about the American worker unless the Government makes them... Their first and foremost responsibility is to the STOCKHOLDER. If the CEO's can maximize profit by having their goods made offshore... they have to go offshore or risk being voted off the board. It all comes down to greed.It's the same reason Clinton kept China as "favored nation status". His excuse was "We don't want China to revert back to Communism". But really he wanted to continue to receive the contributions to his re-election campaign.

BK 02-07-2004 06:32 PM

Actually, I was born and raised in the southwest - spent most of my life one hour from Havasu.

But now I live in Indiana. I never expected to find more illegal immigrants here than I did in Arizona.

But that's because this area is loaded with good paying manufacturing plants. This is the home of RV, trailer and manufactured housing. But if you walk into any of these plants, you will find 90% of the workforce speak another language (Spanish mostly, but Russian too).They all have driver's licenses with names like "Todd Bridges" or "Paul Hogan". But they prefer to be called by their "nicknames"; Jose and Arturo.

The average starting wages are $10 per hour for non-skilled, with a $2.00 /hour show up bonus if they aren't late or sick for the entire month.

Do you know what the most common name is at the school my son attends?

5 years ago it was Miller.

Today, it is Lopez.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 06:35 PM

Like I said.... we are experiencing a foreign invasion. And the worst part is our jobs are leaving. So the competition for what jobs are left forces wages down.

BK 02-07-2004 06:36 PM

Yes, just like Honduras.

StrikinLightnin 02-07-2004 06:55 PM

I recently bought a Dell computer.
I called technical support one evening
and who answered but "Yoshie"(real name).
I had a registry problem that needed to be changed.
Every letter that he stated had to be paraphrased:B as in boy,G as in good,D as in dog>>>>>>PLEASE<<<<<<
I purchased this computer because it's an outfit out of
TEXAS - you know USA ;)
I want to speak to an American technical worker when I
need assistance.
Now every time I speak to someone at Dell I complain about this Indian outsourcing of there technical service.
I've been told recently that a LOT of people have complained about the dealing with overseas technical support and Dell is bringing this support back to the United States.
I SURE HOPE SO!!!:rolleyes:

Pantera1 02-07-2004 06:56 PM

This may offend some

But If the economy realy took a dump ..Maybe the US wouldnt be invaded by people coming to this country to get on the system ..
And what about some sort of salary cap for CEO's

BK 02-07-2004 07:02 PM

Here's a website dedicated to Outsourcing jobs to India.

http://www.callcentersindia.com/call_centers_news.php

The Bright Side of Outsourcing
From a global perspective, offshore outsourcing does have a bright side -- in India and other outsourcing destinations. It reinforces the benefit of higher education, allows individuals to purchase cars and gives workers confidence and hope for the future.

Outsourcing may be a bane to many U.S. technology, finance and manufacturing employees, but it has proved a boon -- and a catalyst for cultural change -- to nations like India that are reaping the benefits of this trend.

It is fortunate that a bright side for employees exists, because the outsourcing tide seems unstoppable. By 2015, more than 472,000 computer-related jobs alone will move overseas, versus 27,000 in 2000, according to Forrester Research estimates.

India is the top choice for offshore outsourcing, a World Bank study found. IT-enabled services in the country grew 70 percent between 2000 and 2002, according to a study released last year by the McKinsey Quarterly and the National Association of Software & Services Companies (NASSCOM), an Indian software industry organization. Also, as of September 2003, 360,000 Indians were involved in technology-related services compared with 242,000 the previous year, Chappaqua, New York-based market research and business intelligence firm Evalueserve said.

By 2008, 1 million Indians are expected to be employed in the services sector, NASSCOM predicts, and the sector will generate between $21 billion and $24 billion. In 2002, the Indian IT-enabled services industry reaped revenue of $2.3 billion, up from $1.5 billion in 2001. And this year, Indian software and services exports are projected to grow by up to 28 percent, reaching revenue of $12 billion, the industry group expects.

BK 02-07-2004 07:04 PM

More: http://www.callcentersindia.com/disp....php?idnews=14

Although Indian employees typically earn less than their American counterparts, those lower salaries go further in India. The standard of living is improving, said Ramesh Nair, CEO and creative director of Niyati Technologies, based in Chennai, India. The five-year-old company offers such services as application development, user interface design, Web site creation and multimedia production. Its U.S. client list includes BMW, drugstore.com and Hewlett-Packard.

"[The standard of living] definitely has gone up," Nair told the E-Commerce Times. "The last time there was such a boom was when people -- mainly from South Indian states like Kerala -- went to the Middle East for jobs. The difference is that, earlier, people only made money. Now people are more open to accepting American values and culture too."

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 07:21 PM

Most assuredly that is wonderful... Now I'll have a Holy Cow burger and a side of fried rat.... :p

Shooter 02-07-2004 07:32 PM

Trust me guys, I'm in Tech so I know what is going on... but let's take a real look at this instead of doing the offshore only rant...

That Dell you bought, how much did you pay for it, how much was it last year, would you have bought a Dell at a higher price?

(Here's where I get it...) How about union labor and protectionist policy? It's effects on the cost of goods and profit?

In my company, I saw 450 out of 600 people laid off and there was no protection there - our lovely stock market did that through over-valuation and wild speculation. I have had 3-4 years of 70 and sometimes 80 hour weeks - became chief cook and bottle...

There is a silver lining, I was able to move into a higher tier technical job after about 18 hours of interviews and now, finally, I have it somewhat made working for one of the top technology co.s in the world.

You betcha with the Indian workforce, I deal with them daily. But I have never seen a more ambitious and hard-working set of m-ffrs. I have firend who own lawn bsuiness who WILL not hire whites or blacks. I have to tell you also I have had good all american house cleaners and they did a sh$%y job and stole from me.

Not to generalize, but is our workforce as driven and hungry... or are we just *****ing and demanding?

BTW - look at how Japan's economy is hurting, they WERE the India in the late 70's and early 80's. They are going through the same change we did back then.

I'm not happy about offshoring, and I hope it fails, but let's at least be informed about it.

(About the accents, I hope nobody here would be willing to take a bullet to protect the Queen's English, better to plug a terrorist)

StrikinLightnin 02-07-2004 07:42 PM

I'm a technical worker AND a union member.
Some jobs in this country need to be protected
because of the flood of illegal imports.
And yes I would pay more for my computer to
keep tech support in the US.

Shooter 02-07-2004 07:44 PM

That's my point, it takes conviction and putting your money where you mouth is....

I drive american cars (BTW) at least some of them is made in the USA.

Blaming politicians is silly, they pander to the voting public and special interest.

Fightclub 02-07-2004 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better... If it ever get's better.....

Free Trade....

FU*CK THIS..... I am in Detroit you should see how we are being ripped of from an Automotive end.....

I get upset every time I have to talk about this or think about it so........

F China

F India

Even Mexico is *****ing about these countries... what does that tell you?

:hothead:

BK 02-07-2004 09:17 PM

For Christmas we wanted to buy our son an air hockey table. We went to the local sporting goods store and found one for $500 - it glowed in the dark and had overhead flashing lights - real cool. Made in China.

Then we went to a billiard table store and found one there for $700. There was no flashing lights and no glow in the dark glitz.

But I could just tell this table was built much better than the other table. It felt sturdy and solid and would last a long time. So that is the one we bought.

It was made in Chicago. :)

But how many folks would have bought the other one?

Ric232 02-07-2004 09:43 PM

Originally posted by mlitefan
And, contrary to popular belief, people don't start companies to provide jobs for others...they do it to make a profit.

That is the cold hard reality.

Regardless of the motivation, the fact of the matter is, people starting companies DOES provide jobs.

Here's a corollary: People don't go to work everyday to make their company owner wealthy. They go to put money in their own pockets.

Ric232 02-07-2004 10:07 PM

Perfect example:

About six months ago, I needed a wrench that I did not have . . . a single wrench. I happened to be at Target and noticed that I could get a 138 piece DURABUILT mechanic's tool kit w/ case on sale for $29.99. Lifetime guarantee. Made in China. It looked good, so I bought it.

I used it for a lot of light duty stuff for a while and it worked okay. The wratcheting action of the socket set wasn't that smooth, but it was good enough. Last night I started doing some work on my SUV. There were a couple of bolts that were very tight. I got myself into a position with some leverage so I could put some muscle into it and the Durabuilt socket I was using split in half !! Tried another one . . . same friggin thing!! So, did I dig out my receipt and pack the broken parts up to send off for replacement under the LIFETIME WARRANTY !! Hell no !! I threw the crap in the corner of the garage, went down to Sears and bought a Craftsman 318 piece set for $400 !! Made in the USA; probably the last set of tools I'll ever buy.

The point is, it was my choice, and I changed my thinking and spoke with my wallet. I'll still keep most of the other junk . . . you can never have too many wrenches and stuff (in the cars, boat, house, etc.). Does this mean I'll only buy MADE IN THE USA from now on? No. My SUV is a Ford, but my car is a Lexus (an awesome car at that). I'll just think more carefully about the intended use of the product I'm buying and whether or not the product made in China will be adequate. You can rest assurred that I will continue to buy soap dishes from China !!

On a separate, but very related issue: Does this mean I think the citizens of China are incapable of making a quality product?? Absolutely not. But the current state of affairs is such that virtually all of the production in China is to provide low-cost alternatives, so they are not designed to be high-quality. I think customers realize this when they make their choices.

Reed Jensen 02-07-2004 10:43 PM

I have some Chinese wrenches... I love them.... I keep them in a separate drawer from my snap-on wrenches which I always use. I keep the Chinese ones to heat and bend to get at strange applications... cause once you bend them you can't put much torque on them anyway... but talk about junk.... I can't stand the fact that they try to knock off Snap-on with the look and second.. no, third class finish.