Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Going To Cancun anyone been there??? >

Going To Cancun anyone been there???

Notices

Going To Cancun anyone been there???

Old 02-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Playa Del Carmen. Great place, near Can cun and Cozumel. I have been to all three and rate it the best.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. The dune buggy trip sound great. We have to look into that. But the wife says we have tho go shopping , I can see it now. shopping for luggage to bring all the shoes she bought. We have no more room for more shoes and pocketbooks. Our last trip to the 1000 islands poker run she brought 15 pairs of shoes for a 7 night vacation.

We will also look into a day trip to Cozumel . I didnt realize that they were so close.

If planed right this should be a great trip. Thanks

Paul
Old 02-08-2004, 11:52 AM
BK
Registered

I agree with the people here saying Cozumel. It was much cooler than Cancun.

But in Cancun, an old customer of ours was a boat mechanic there, and some guy with a snorkeling tour business owed him a bunch of favors......so the four of us got to take a whole day excursion to the reefs on this guys big boat for free! Free drinks, free onboard live music, free snacks, free snorkeling....that was a blast. Normally it runs about $50 per person. Probably more today

For shopping - there is an Island off of Cancun, I think it was Isla Mujeres? There are shuttle boats that leave every hour from Cancun and it's a fairly short ride. I remember the Island had great deals on hammocks and woven things. We bought most of our stuff there.

You can also swim with nurse sharks over there if you want (we declined).

We then went to Xcaret! That place is awesome! There is an underground river that you can float on tubes. That was the coolest thing. It eventually comes out on the beach, close to where the dolphins are.

If you pay extra, you can swim in the arena with the dolphins and do tricks with them.

WORD OF CAUTION: If you are female, and are going to let the dolphins push you by your feet in front of the crowds at high rates of speed, make SURE your bikini top is on VERY VERY tight!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally posted by BK
WORD OF CAUTION: If you are female, and are going to let the dolphins push you by your feet in front of the crowds at high rates of speed, make SURE your bikini top is on VERY VERY tight!
Errr perhaps Loose would be better?

BTW do your shopping on Cozumel. It's better than Cancun. Just don't do it on Thursday. That's when all the cruise ships dock, and they jack-up the prices on you.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Question CANCUN/CAB DRIVERS

MY BROTHER IS A PILOT AND DOWN THERE RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK,HE HAS MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT THE CABBIES

Whats the deal on them??
do they get you in wrecks ,rob you or what ,just curious.

I cant get much info from him as he is always on the go so I thought I would ask here.

I, want to hear all the don'ts just to keep my butt out of the sling.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered

You definately got some good advice here. As stated before, dont wait till the end of the trip to go diving. Plan on that for day two. Stop by "Aquaworld" to get the lessons and do the dives. They are a PADI certified operation and pretty nice one. Thats where I did my diving when down there. You cant miss them, big operation on main road through hotel district. Cozumel is a good attraction as is isla de mujeres. At night, you cant help but to have a good time in the clubs like La Boom, Senior Frogs and such. They are all located in the same general area so its easy to go from one to the next. Also, take the buses. They are dirt cheap, and one will come by every couple minutes or so. Better than using a cab. Have fun on your trip.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:39 PM
BK
Registered

We rented a car, so we didnt have to deal with cabs.

Oh - there is a famous Mexican restaurant in downtown Cancun -- just cant think of the name -- they have saddles as bar stools and the waiters do performances with stacked glasses and plates.

A couple of times per night, they get everyone up and form a dancing chain around the room.....then everyone makes a bridge with their hands........and one by one, you pass under the bridge.

What they DON'T tell you, is that when you get to the end of the human bridge.............

Oh, never mind. I can't spoil it

Also.....

The underground river at Xcaret is an ancient Mayan place of fertility. You'll see the ancient rock statues of preggo Godesses nearby. The water is supposed to have magic properties to help you concieve and bear children.

That was very ironic because BOTH of the women in our group went home pregnant! That's NO lie!

So watch out!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Registered

Hmmmm..... females getting pregnant in Cancun. Imagine that.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
BK
Registered

I blame it on Fat Tuesday's

That place is great. YUM~
Old 02-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My cab story...

First night in Cancun, pocket full of cash.
Took the bus back to my hotel at about 3AM.. Turns out it was the bus drivers last run, and he did not feel like making the last few stops on the strip, as he was going to miss his ride home. About 5 of us were stuck riding this bus all the way across the big bridge into the bario, downtown Cancun. It was a $hithole. He kicked us off at the bus lot, and we were forced to take a cab. All five of us tried to jump in to one cab, but the cab driver said he would only take four. Well, I was odd man out: ended up in my own taxi. My mistake was I jumped in a cab with a guy and his buddy in the front seat. I was in the back alone. Things were well for about 3 blocks, then they turned down an alley, and then again down two more. I was obviously about to be robbed or worse. I jumped out of cab while it was still going about 15-20 mph. The cab clipped my heal with the back tire. I went trotting/limping out to the main drag, toward a very large and well lit BP gas station; figured it was safe. As I approached, I see a Federali Paddy Wagon, and figure that was cool too. About this time, the taxi I jumped out of came barrelling out of alley, yelling in Spanish out the window, as if I had robbed them! Well, the Federalis picked ME up, and threw me in the Paddy Wagon. I was in Federal custody for about 90 minutes best I can remember. It was not good, and the Federalis tried to take my cash too. I finally convinced them I was clean, and they let me out where I picked up another cab, with an elderly man driving, and I felt a bit safer. I made it back to my hotel safely, luckily at about 5AM.

Personal note... worst part was when I got back to the States I had to report to the US Gov't that I was in Foreign Federal custody for a time, while I had my DoD Security clearance (my job requires it). It was not good, but I was very lucky. No harm done on any front.

Quick Reply: Going To Cancun anyone been there???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.