BRUCE PENHALL INFO - Ocean Spray 'Crave the Wave' >

BRUCE PENHALL INFO - Ocean Spray 'Crave the Wave'

Notices

BRUCE PENHALL INFO - Ocean Spray 'Crave the Wave'

Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Bruce did some TV commentating last year for APBA. He was a great competitor in offshore in the A class, D Class, Modified Class, and Super V. They won alot of races in there time he and Dennis made a great team. Dennis throttled the Ettore Squgee's boat last year in APBA wich ran well after early season woes. I have heard Penhall mayb be doing some NHRA drag racing? He kids are racing motocross now from what I understand and doing well.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had sushi with him 2 weeks ago. Yes, you can quote me.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
speedwayfan

Originally posted by Ryan Beckley
Bruce did some TV commentating last year for APBA. He was a great competitor in offshore in the A class, D Class, Modified Class, and Super V. They won alot of races in there time he and Dennis made a great team. Dennis throttled the Ettore Squgee's boat last year in APBA wich ran well after early season woes. I have heard Penhall mayb be doing some NHRA drag racing? He kids are racing motocross now from what I understand and doing well.
Bruce did have some talks about the NHRA Drag Racing, but I don't believe its gone any further than that.
He is making a one-off speedway comeback this weekend, with a twist, its going to be an <i>ice speedway</i> event at Telford in the UK.

Ryan and Connor Penhall have both made good impressions on the youth motocross scene. Connor is now trying his hand at speedway too.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedway-

I happen to know someone that knew Mr. Penhall during his motorcycle racing career.

There is a great book out about Offshore racing-"Searace", by a gentleman named John Crouse. I can check to see how much info is in there about the Penhall team.

http://www.searace-crouse.com/

The driver watches for other boats, turn buoys, etc, while the throttleman reads the water and keeps the boat running as fast as he can.

In the earlier days of offshore racing, the boats would run out into open water, and also carried a mechanic.

There is a saying that 'The driver drives for show, the throttleman twists' the sticks for dough'. I don't know if that is true, especially nowadays on the shorter courses the driver has his/her hands full.

The boat that Mr. Penhall ran is a Larry Smith Scarab. Regular production Scarabs were, until recently, built by Wellcraft in Sarasota Florida under a licensing agreement with Mr. Larry Smith.

Mr Smith has and still is building Scarabs in California. I have one of the first 38 Larry Smith Scarabs built, raced by Mrs. Betty Cook as KAAMA (see avitar!). The Ocean Spray boat that Bruce Penhall ran was, until recently, the last boat from those molds. Email me if you want any more details. I have some pictures, etc. and would be glad to help. My Email is 'encrypted' due to lowlife spy software- ignore the frogs.

Ronnie aka Bulldog
rcbyrd@ bellsouth.net

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-11-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Bulldog
The boat that Mr. Penhall ran is a Larry Smith Scarab. Regular production Scarabs were, until recently, built by Wellcraft in Sarasota Florida under a licensing agreement with Mr. Larry Smith.

Ronnie aka Bulldog
rcbyrd@ bellsouth.net

FYI...BP ended his career and won his last championship in a Fountain...not a Scarab....although the Scarab did well.

T2x
Old 02-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

So what about Ponch ??
Old 02-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah... he did appear on Chips for while ... lol...
Old 02-14-2004, 01:23 PM
BK
Registered

Today's article on Bruce Penhall

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/...le_12673.shtml
Old 02-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Anybody that would race a motorcycle on ice has my vote! That's bad a s s especially at age 46 - BH
Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Registered

Default Crave the wave

Originally Posted by puder
i new que ball had a certain swagger in his step.......

just kiddin rich!

there was a guy on here a few months back who was going to buy the crave the wave boat. Aparently they have since added steps to the boat and destroyed its handling charateristics. Unfortunatly i don;t know anythign about teh guy who used to race it.
I believe I have the boat at my shop that had the hull modified

Quick Reply: BRUCE PENHALL INFO - Ocean Spray 'Crave the Wave'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.