Notices

the old cigarette plant (pics)

Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #52

Originally posted by 10x
Anyone remember this one? I think it was the 1st poker run boat from cig. My wife next to it. She really liked this one but it was'nt for sale.
Frank,

That was Ralph Martin's and Norval Stahly's 38 Cigarette ' The Dealer ' that they raced and ran some of their poker runs in. They where partners together in Everglades Marina at the time.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 10x
Anyone remember this one? I think it was the 1st poker run boat from cig. My wife next to it. She really liked this one but it was'nt for sale.

Hey Frank,
Post 52

I was really surprised to see your post about this boat.
This is the "Light My Fire" CIG that is out of the basin at Michigan City.
It belongs to a friend of mine from Illinois.
It was in one of the buildings at Doyne's until the water level shrank.

Dennis
Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: #52

Originally posted by Jamie B.
Frank,

That was Ralph Martin's and Norval Stahly's 38 Cigarette ' The Dealer ' that they raced and ran some of their poker runs in. They where partners together in Everglades Marina at the time.
Jamie..... You must've been around awhile. I know not too many people on this board, I'm talkin about the younger crowd, would've known that.
At that time Everglades had 2 locations. The bigger one was in Ft Lauderdale.
Do you remember when Norval and the Martins had their fallin out? Supossedly over some money matters and some theft. Mid 90's. Who knows, there's always 2 sides to every story, and all I heard was Stahlys version. It might of all been bull$hit anyway.
In about fall of I think 97 or it might have been 98, Norval hired my friend Jeff Riss to take over the business when the Martins had left. Norval had a home here in Bloomington Ill among many others. Jeff was the manager, rigger, engine builder and did most all the high perf work on most of the boats that went through there. He was there till Norval died and the family decided to sell the business within the next year. He then went to K/E and built engines for them until 01 when he moved back to the Chicago area and started his own full service performance marine business. The business is now called RPM ( Riss Performance Marine).They're an hour from Chicago, in Ransom Ill right by Seneca Ill. (815-509-0927 & 509-0929).

A real shame that Everglades is now gone (demolished). It was like one of the last cool high perf marine places left on the water. Here's a pic of Jeff at Everglades with a 35 Fountain that he completely redid after the owner sank the boat. New EVERYTHING!!!
Attached Thumbnails the old cigarette plant (pics)-35-ftn-jeff.jpg  
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Another of the new blower engs
Attached Thumbnails the old cigarette plant (pics)-35-ftn-blwr-eng.jpg  
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-21-2004, 12:55 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Originally posted by StrikinLightnin
Hey Frank,
Post 52

I was really surprised to see your post about this boat.
This is the "Light My Fire" CIG that is out of the basin at Michigan City.
It belongs to a friend of mine from Illinois.
It was in one of the buildings at Doyne's until the water level shrank.

Dennis
Dennis...... did'nt know that boat was still around, let alone in our backyard. Call me........ we need to talk.
Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-21-2004, 01:00 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

some more boats at the Cig plant south side of street.
Attached Thumbnails the old cigarette plant (pics)-more-cigs-so-side-street.jpg  
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

I haven't seen those boats in many years. Craig Barrie. A change order we did that almost everyday. cb
Old 02-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

10X-

Is the boat in post #58 a triple bolster boat?

LS JR.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Registered

Originally posted by 10x
Mike: Dons original office, and the one I think you were referring to, was on the second floor of the Cigs main office. I can't say for sure, but from the way everyone there talked, it sure seemed like Don used this room for his own personal use. (business? entertainment? pleasure? .......minds wander). This was on the right (south) side of the street.
Don's last office on the Cigarette property was on the north side of the street (with round top door) next to layup room. Don occupied that office for about a year after selling Cigarette in late 1981. It was two floors.

I believe Alan Brown (Brownie) occupied the offices afterward for awhile when designing a new line of boats for Cigarette.

Southside building upstairs was built out in 1981/82 by Jerry Jacoby with entertainment room and guest bedroom. Two offices were downstairs.

Later the upstairs was rebuilt to house Cigarette Offices. Craig Barrie occupied the South East office for many years.

I believe the lower two offices were rebuilt as the Cigarette Clothing Store.

Don never occupied the southside offices.

AC

Last edited by Andrew Corn; 02-21-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #52 The Dealer

Originally posted by 10x
Jamie..... You must've been around awhile. I know not too many people on this board, I'm talkin about the younger crowd, would've known that.
At that time Everglades had 2 locations. The bigger one was in Ft Lauderdale.
Do you remember when Norval and the Martins had their fallin out? Supossedly over some money matters and some theft. Mid 90's. Who knows, there's always 2 sides to every story, and all I heard was Stahlys version. It might of all been bull$hit anyway.
In about fall of I think 97 or it might have been 98, Norval hired my friend Jeff Riss to take over the business when the Martins had left. Norval had a home here in Bloomington Ill among many others. Jeff was the manager, rigger, engine builder and did most all the high perf work on most of the boats that went through there. He was there till Norval died and the family decided to sell the business within the next year. He then went to K/E and built engines for them until 01 when he moved back to the Chicago area and started his own full service performance marine business. The business is now called RPM ( Riss Performance Marine).They're an hour from Chicago, in Ransom Ill right by Seneca Ill. (815-509-0927 & 509-0929).

A real shame that Everglades is now gone (demolished). It was like one of the last cool high perf marine places left on the water. Here's a pic of Jeff at Everglades with a 35 Fountain that he completely redid after the owner sank the boat. New EVERYTHING!!!
Frank,

I heard a little of both sides, but mainly heard Norval's side of the story about the separation with Ralph . . they had split up in 1996 I think. I bought my Cigarette there in August 1995 and Ralph was still there at that time. I went to work as a broker there in August 1997 and Ralph was long gone, already having established Martin Marine. I dont remember your friend Jeff Riss, but I left in June 1998. I didnt realize that Louise had finally sold the properly . . I had heard that a developer was chomping at the bit to buy the property to put up some high dollar condo's . . I'm sad now to know that its been bulldozed . . no more 188th, no more Everglades . . damn, that place was the ORIGINAL and ONLY place to buy a powerful offshore for a long, long time starting way back in the late 70's.

You and I met briefly at the Chicago C.O.P.S. dinner party a few weeks back . . . I was there with my girlfriend Gail, a blonde whom you spoke with also . . ironically, I was wearing an Everglades Marina shirt that night

Quick Reply: the old cigarette plant (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.