Notices

Bilge paint

Old 02-17-2004, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bilge paint

What kind of paint have you guys been using for the bilge paint, gel coat, epoxy what... for best results Thanks!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:59 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Alw Grip by U.S. Paint.

http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/id23.html

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from gelcoat, it's very porise and stains easily, when repainting, I used interlux bilge paint, only comes in white & gray.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Awlgrip
Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Registered

Awlgrip here too. brushed it. Hard as nails and easy to clean.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

Just refinished mine in Awgrip as well. Awesome stuff, just be sure to use the appropriate respirator.
Attached Thumbnails Bilge paint-starboard_cabling_plumbing.jpg  
Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever the value shopper, I used epoxy from the home center designed for painting tubs and sinks. So far so good, and it was about 1/4 the price of Awgrip. That was 20 months ago.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chart
Ever the value shopper, I used epoxy from the home center designed for painting tubs and sinks. So far so good, and it was about 1/4 the price of Awgrip. That was 20 months ago.
YUP,

I was considering the same thing. I just redid some kitchen cabinets a few weeks back, and spoke to an expert in that field, he told me to use Sherwin Williams Tile Clad, high Solids. Well Let me tell you, this is some tough Chit!!!! It is an industrial Epoxy Coating and is supposedly good for Marine use. Price was less than $100 for one gallon of paint, One gallon of Hardener, and One gallon of Reducer. They dont suggest reducing for Brush/roller application, and 25% reduction for spray applications, resulting in 2-2.50 gallons for under $100, I used about half of the product for an entire kitchen(17 cabinets), and I wasted probably half of that, by mixing way too much on the second coat. I think I have enough left to do the bathroom cabinets, and my Bilge!!!!

Sounds kinda cheesy to use the same as I used on my cabinets, but truth is, I used something way overkill for a kitchen.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:10 AM
WALKIN THE DOG

We have done four boats with a generic brand of rhino liner in white. You have to buy the product from a paint supply house and also buy the spray gun that fits the top of the can. So far it has lasted two years. Gas won't stain it or salty bay water. Looks great too.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by WALKIN THE DOG
We have done four boats with a generic brand of rhino liner in white. You have to buy the product from a paint supply house and also buy the spray gun that fits the top of the can. So far it has lasted two years. Gas won't stain it or salty bay water. Looks great too.
I'd be afraid to use anything like rhino liner... not because it wouldn't stick or protect... but I don't think you would be able to see if you have any cracking or delaminating going on with that stuff covering the surface. Plus... if you have to do a repair... you have to deal with removing the coating before you can even see the damage..

Quick Reply: Bilge paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.