Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Disappointed with the quality of some of the boats at the show... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/71962-disappointed-quality-some-boats-show.html)

FastFountain35 02-18-2004 02:28 PM

i am not worried about bad paint jobs.im just very very grateful to own a high performance offshore power boat, it has been a life long dream for me, 95% of the real world couldnt even fuel one of these awsome peices of machinery.:D :D :D :D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-18-2004 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Strip Poker 388
I looked at a new 40 Skater at Lake Cumberland and it was rough .In the gell who could see the matting on the sides.

I highly doubt that was mat glass you saw.

Perhaps a fine woven cloth. But with the way Skater lays up boats, I am sure they have no need for mat.

Mat is only used for adhesion. There is not any real strength to the material. If using epoxy, no need for it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the quality of the paint jobs on the OL, did they change painters?

The one guy I know that was doing their stuff was a fanatic about his quality. I would be surprised if you are talking about his work.....:eek:

fountain1fan 02-18-2004 04:58 PM

ff35 how right you are i'm still waiting on my dream it's gettin hear slowly 31 sfc fountain

Jassman 02-18-2004 05:16 PM

Animalhouse, I see some slipping here on OL part, I find this amazing, I understand why you would defend OL, but a show is for finished products, your best examples, not excuses why it's not finished. In the OL forum Mike states that the 39 would be their, it should have been a 10, and Pete now is taking his new unfinished 39 on the poker run, that doesn't make any sence. All the paint jobs didn't warrant the quality from previous years, same with some of the stitching, it sounds like Ol should quit worring about Reggie and his speed record, and get back to building the quality boats that they are known for, and I have seen many fine example's of their work, otherwise they are just like every other custom builder at 100-200k more. :o Jeff

IDRPSTF 02-18-2004 06:17 PM

wet sand and buff would be allot of labor$$$$
$50,000.00 For a paint job IS allot of money. Why dont the boats come with quality paint that reflects the price? I have seen some of the work Geographics has done. They set the bar for the way a boat can look. I have never seen dirt or objects in the paint. No paint lines. No orange peel. So if Geographics can do it, why cant the builders? They are charging around the same price.

dreamboater 02-18-2004 06:25 PM

Fountains 42 was nice, but unfinished. The motors were not plumbed. The sides of the boat had either gell coat flaws all down the side right at the walk around area or major buffing burns. The 38 hustler in the water was also nice, however the boat had dimples all down the center of the boat, sure you could see them easier because of it being navy blue. I did think last years display of the OL's was better, but 2 of the boats were just completed. Cigs display was incredible as it was last year.

animalhouse 02-18-2004 06:57 PM

Jassman,

First of all Mike is not worried about Reggie. Second, Pete had no intentions to run his boat in the Poker Run. OL found it more rewarding to spend more time engineering and tweaking this new model so that it will run an honest 100 MPH w/ stock 525's. The boat was at the show strictly for the purpose of introducing it to the public.

As I previously stated, in Ft. Lauderdale the 45 Cig was being assembled at the show. It is not uncommon to display partially finished boats in a show.

dreamboater 02-18-2004 07:56 PM

I dont think Fountain had a 42 in the water, I was there 3 days and only saw fish boats:(

Jassman 02-18-2004 09:34 PM

ANIMAL HOUSE, It is suppose to be at the show and pete the owner of the first one is doing stu's poker run after the show. they only had 525 in it and saw 101 on gps.
This was on your OL forum posted by Outer 42. Just stating facts.
You stated earlier that the 39 was going back for its final paint job, what about the other boats and their paint jobs, would you say they are just as good as your paint job, or not quite up to the exact standards that have been on previous OL at other shows. For whatever reason, I feel their paint jobs were rushed, end of story. Just constructive critism, we all know they can build a awesome boat, and we all know they are fast and stable at those speeds, I think they are fine examples of boating technology, but not at this show, I was, as well as many other OSO'ers, disappointed.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-18-2004 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Fever Mike
All Skaters right from the factory show print through.
It is the price you pay to have a light weight vacuum bagged hull.

It still amazes me how little gelcoat Skater is able to put on their hulls without running into pre-release or alligation problems. :eek:

He is able to do it, and keeps the excess weight off the boat. Almost 10 lbs per gallon is the weight of Gelcoat. You can imagine how much he must be saving. :cool: