CAUTION OSOers!  I got screwed bad! >

CAUTION OSOers! I got screwed bad!

Notices

CAUTION OSOers! I got screwed bad!

Old 02-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by hp500efi
I guess the red flag should of went off when he said he was not in the USA.
Well thanks a lot.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:12 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. United States Citizens and Residents who HAVE suffered a Financial Loss are instructed to contact the nearest Field Office of the United States Secret Service.

http://www.secretservice.gov/field_offices.shtml

You might also contact the Nigerian US Embassy - they've got oodles of these cases called "419" scams (4.1.9. is a section of the Nigerian penal code that addresses fraud schemes)
http://abuja.usembassy.gov/wwwho419.html

This gives some aids that the US recommends in recovering these losses:

http://www.treas.gov/usss/financial_...shtml#Nigerian
Old 02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Registered

When you send money via western union don't you have to specify the city that it will be picked up in? They probably didn't give you a real name but they would have to be in the city. Not that it would help you out now.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for all of your advise...
Shoulda woulda coulda....

I normally wouldn't have been so fast to act, but I was insanely busy with work at the time and this guy got me with my guard down... What can I say??
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Registered

MadMat

As long as you are out here and willing to post and give info on who you are .I am sure we will still do business with you. you may have to wait awhile for your stuff and provide photo Id..... oh and maybe a picture of your boat with you in it ...

It is not just overseas that boater get scr** from
my famous hawk power motor cost me A SH** load of money to fix. but it has been completely redone and finally I can get some of my money back.

Also we have Talk to another OSO member over seas that got Scr** by someone in the States he was a great guy and we felt bad because he had no idea how our Laws worked..He contacted the FBI and after that he got the person scared enough to send him he's money back...

Matt it happens both ways, keep posting to let us get to know you

Tim G that sucks... I can see how that happened.
I had a guy from Norway that wanted my Camaro and was going to send me the money for the car and then wanted me to take it to the port to have it put in a crate and then shipped. I told him as long as he set everything up I would take it to the Port he seemed very real and knew everything about cars and racing. I don't know if he was real or not. but I spoke with him on the phone rather then email. he never came through on the sale said he was going to make a trip to the states to check out some other cars.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Steve_H

Originally posted by Tim G.
Thank you for all of your advise...
Shoulda woulda coulda....

I normally wouldn't have been so fast to act, but I was insanely busy with work at the time and this guy got me with my guard down... What can I say??
thanks for sharing.
might save one of us getting taken as well.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: The story...

Originally posted by Tim G.
OK- I have 5 minutes to type this...
...Damnit!
Damn Tim. Sorry to see you get burnt.
Bunch of scheming azzholes out there!

That's the classic, "Oops, I sent too much trick."
They know it will work 9 out of 10 times because, it takes 3 or more days for a bank to realize it's a counterfeit.

Sorry dude!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Rforsey. Only recently purchased it, but do have some shots of it: http://www.mattyorke.info/formula/gallery.asp
Am actually about to place an order for a whole pile of bits for the spring, I can save about $250 by buying parts from the US and shipping them over, even after shipping & tax. Crazy eh?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
BK
Registered

http://www.treas.gov/usss/financial_...shtml#Nigerian

Be sure to read this link. The Secret Service has been busting these rings and seizing assets -- HUGE assets. If they find your email on the computers, YOU could have some recourse. (Though it looks like much of the recovered money goes to funding the fraud task forces )

They know that these fraud schemes are being used by many criminal groups for money laundering and contraband, possibly even terrorism.

"Agents on temporary assignment to the American Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria, in conjunction with the Regional Security Office, supplied information in the form of investigative leads to the Federal Investigation and Intelligence Bureau (FIIB) of the Nigerian National Police. This project was designed to provide Nigerian law enforcement officials with investigative leads to enable them to enforce their own jurisdictional violations.

On July 2, 1996, officials of the FIIB, accompanied by Secret Service agents in an observer/advisor role, executed search warrants on 16 location in Lagos that resulted in the arrests of 43 Nigerian nationals. Evidence seized included telephones and facsimile machines, government and Central Bank of Nigeria letterhead, international business directories, scam letters, and addressed envelopes, and files containing correspondence from victims throughout the world."
Old 02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
jb
Registered

I am glad I came back to the thread to hear what happened...

I DID NOT THINK PEOPLE STILL FELL FOR THIS.

tim you are a SMART GUY WTF... With all the threads that list the email scams, and we all joke about them!!!

Man I feel for ya, I hope someday you get some recourse

Quick Reply: CAUTION OSOers! I got screwed bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.