Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72652-don-aronow.html)

R Addiction 02-26-2004 01:20 AM

Don Aronow

Aronow on A&E Right Now!!:cool:

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 06:59 AM

That was really a good show....I still want to learn more about the whole history behind Aronow and Thunderboat Row. It must be something to see Thunderboat Row in person....after having seen what it once was.....and what it is now.

I didn't catch the first part of the show......I taped it. What all companies did Aronow have a part of....the one's I know are
Cig
Apache

HiPerf2000 02-26-2004 07:33 AM

Originally posted by 97BossHammer

I didn't catch the first part of the show......I taped it. What all companies did Aronow have a part of....the one's I know are
Cig
Apache

Formula
Magnum
Donzi

Outlawcowgirl 02-26-2004 07:44 AM

That was really a good show....I still want to learn more about the whole history behind Aronow and Thunderboat Row. It must be something to see Thunderboat Row in person....after having seen what it once was.....and what it is now.

I agree with you 97Boss Hammer, I want to learn more too. I have on my "to do" list to get the book Speed Kills and read that. I thought the show was very good.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 07:45 AM

WOW...so he basically had his hands in a lot of them. I'm curious to know which one's he actually started. I guess I need to buy that book I've heard a lot of you guys talk about.

Madcow 02-26-2004 07:52 AM

WOW...so he basically had his hands in a lot of them. I'm curious to know which one's he actually started. I guess I need to buy that book I've heard a lot of you guys talk about.
He started ALL of them. The best book I ever read on the man was "King Of Thunder Boat Row" writen by his son Michael.

cuda 02-26-2004 08:15 AM

Every Sunday, his son Michael comes to donzinet and answers questions.

rchevelle71 02-26-2004 08:15 AM

Great show, I watched it, and taped it.

I believe he started all of the companies, then sold them off, opened up shop across the street under a different name, and basically people wanted the name Aronow, so he got the business no matter what the Business name was. Best part was when he sold to Ben, and bought it back for less, a week later after the Gov. said they wouldnt deal with Ben, might have killed him, but otherwise was a great Business Man. I have never met Phil Lipschutz, but he looked a little emotional during the interviews, did anyone else notice this, or is he just normally like that?? I also liked at the end when they mentioned all of the names of other manufacturers, and said they are all derivatives of Cigarette!!!! Also was wondering if any OSO members, or their boats were on the show???

OffshoreOnly 02-26-2004 08:21 AM

Look in the OSO news under 188st and we did a history of all the com panies and the street. It was a very popular thread and all members can see the pictures.

OffshoreOnly 02-26-2004 08:23 AM

here is the link for you

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=41446

BK 02-26-2004 08:23 AM

From http://baldknobmarina.com/aronow.htm

Donzi on the right, Magnum on the left:

http://baldknobmarina.com/images/aronow3.jpg

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 09:10 AM

I really had no idea.....I'm going to get that book...anybody got a used copy to sell? Really sad looking at that pic and what it looks like today. I also had no idea about the no wake zone's and all they were talking about on the show......that stuff really changed everything.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 09:24 AM

gosh that story and seeing those pics in the link is really something else. Sad to see this happen. I had no idea how much Don has done for boating, more then I can ever imagine.

rchevelle71 02-26-2004 09:38 AM

I really had no idea.....I'm going to get that book...anybody got a used copy to sell? Really sad looking at that pic and what it looks like today. I also had no idea about the no wake zone's and all they were talking about on the show......that stuff really changed everything.
The no-wake zones are a pain in the azz, but they are on the ICW, arent we talkin Offshore Boats????

I havent seen any No-Wake Zones Offshore!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I cant stand them, My boat is loud, but not that fast, it can get annoying even to me to be idling for an HOUR, and my boat is a little too small to be spendin much time offshore, unless conditions are perfect, so I choose to do most of my boating from Delray up North to Palm Beach, there are a few nice long spots where I can open it up for a good run.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 09:42 AM

No i'm saying on the show they stated that manatee laws, no wake zones, sound laws and all have chaged things a lot over the years.

rchevelle71 02-26-2004 09:57 AM

No i'm saying on the show they stated that manatee laws, no wake zones, sound laws and all have chaged things a lot over the years.
Yes, I am sure it is not as open as it was years ago(Sonny Crockett runnin wide open in the ICW), but what I am saying is these boats are made to run offshore, so if we use common sense, and wait til we get out into open water to run em hard, all is fine. I have read more stories of people in other parts of the Country(Lakes) bein harassed for noise, than down here, I am sure there are a few neighborhoods, but for the most part people look and wave when they hear the loud exhaust. Yes we have Manatees(I agree they taste like chicken too), but to a certain extent we need to let them live, if they werent *****in save the manatees, they would be *****in loud exhaust, or anything else just for a reason to *****(I am sure we all know some of these people). So I say, let em keep their no-wake zones, and we will go have our fun where it's legal.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 10:04 AM

OSO sent me a DVD copy of the show when I renewed, Very good show.

I am in the middle of reading "Speed Kills" right now, so far it is very interesting.

Anybody know where I can get a copy of "The King of Thunderboat Row"?????

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 11:51 AM

Anybody know where I can get a copy of "The King of Thunderboat Row"?????

I'm in on that also....seems to be the book of choice.

RollWithIt 02-26-2004 12:10 PM

Corrado, he also said that they had hours worth of calls made by Ben that were very incriminating. I would love to actually hear these calls myself but that will never happen. I am sure that they would not have gone after him just on circumstancial information. There is probably more that they just didnt divulge for what ever reason, legal or time constraints. It would have been nice if they did give a little more info on the connection between the two and the homicide. It would clear up alot of the petty bickering back and forth.

Outlawcowgirl 02-26-2004 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Madcow
He started ALL of them. The best book I ever read on the man was "King Of Thunder Boat Row" writen by his son Michael.
I better get that book too.

impulsive 02-26-2004 12:23 PM

I had never before seen the show from start to finish. It was truly amazing to see the influence he had on our passion for powerboats. Without him who knows where powerboating would be today. In regards to the evidence against kramer, I think there was more than enough to place blame. Your right, those tapes would be very interesting to listen to.

Too Old, I thought they said Aronow sold kramer Apache then bought it back after the feds wouldn't deal with him? Or was that just the blue thunder project?

impulsive 02-26-2004 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Outlawcowgirl
I better get that book too.
Ditto!!

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 12:25 PM

I searched for the book and cheapest I found it for is $27, do a search on amazon.com and you'll find plenty. Wish somebody had a used copy........book is more then the membership $$ that I've been griping about lately haha.

RollWithIt 02-26-2004 12:30 PM

On the show they said Don sold Ben the company along with the contracts. The government found out who the new owner was and pulled the contract because they would not do business with a Felony Convicted Drug Smuggler. At that point Ben sold the company back to Don at a loss. If I am not mistaken, they also said that After legally re-aquireing the company, Don kept the money that Ben had given him initially. Stated that he told Ben it was dirty money and he could get more so he (Don) was keeping the money.

All I know is that I've seen more than one occasion where drug dealers have murdered people over money.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 12:45 PM

They said it was 1 million and like RWI said, Don would not give it back because it was drug money.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 12:46 PM

As far as the taped phone conversations, the Detective said that Ben was arrogant and discussed things that were incrimininating even though he knew the government had the right to tape the calls.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 01:03 PM

geez I think I've learned more in 1 day about Don then I ever have. You guys have some really great info about it all.

forgive my ignorance........the majority of the people believe that Ben most likely murdered Don, or played some sort of role in it?

RollWithIt 02-26-2004 01:19 PM

The belief is that he made the decision and had Bobby do the actuall deed.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 01:29 PM

If I remember correctly, they said Bobby was paid 60k for the hit.

I will have to watch the show again.

Brownie was interviewd on the show, maybe he will have something to add about Don.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 01:30 PM

who's Bobby?

zzzzzz 02-26-2004 01:38 PM

How many times did he sell a business and start another one across the street? would'nt you prohibit that from happening in a contract if YOU where a buying interest?

rchevelle71 02-26-2004 01:40 PM

Originally posted by zzzzzz
How many times did he sell a business and start another one across the street? would'nt you prohibit that from happening in a contract if YOU where a buying interest?
They said Don was a smart Business man, I think the rest of them were smokin' something

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 01:48 PM

who's Bobby?
Bobby Young plead to the murder of Aronow

LEOPAJM 02-26-2004 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Madcow

Jim .... Isn't that the one with the most pictures !?!?!?!:D

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Corrado
No one that knows anything will ever say anything.Trust me.

You remember them saying they had nothing to tie Ben to anything? Pure speculation and self incrimination at its best.

No one will ever know what happened. It made for an interesting story and book though.Maybe someone someday should write another story.

If I lend or give money to someone does that make me a target for criminal prosecution too?

They had phone conversations that were "incriminating". The detective did not go into much detail, but I assume that played a part in the plea deal.

I believe they also said that Bobby Young was going to testify against Kramer.

Like I said, I will have to watch it again, but I don't remember them saying they did not have enything to tie Kramer to the murder.

As a matter of fact the Detective was pretty confident that Kramer was behind it.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 02:19 PM

Originally posted by zzzzzz
Frome the book "Speed Kills":

"Nineteen sixty-nine was Don Aronow's year. Magnum's new owners specified that Aronow could not compete against them by setting up yet another new boat company, but Aronow got around that. Under the aegis of his friend Elton Cary, he built a 32 foot boat he called The Cigarette, named after a prohibition-era pirate ship- legendary around Sheepshead Bay-that hi-jacked bootleg liquor from rumrunners, then scooted away faster than enyone could catch it. The washington Post had written that "the idea of bad guys outracing other bad guys and seizing their fortune appealed to Aronow".

"Magnum sued him . Aronow settled , then opened his most famous company: Cigarette Racing Team. The name Cigarette would become synonymous with go-fast boats".

impulsive 02-26-2004 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Havasu Cig
They had phone conversations that were "incriminating". The detective did not go into much detail, but I assume that played a part in the plea deal.

I believe they also said that Bobby Young was going to testify against Kramer.

Like I said, I will have to watch it again, but I don't remember them saying they did not have enything to tie Kramer to the murder.

As a matter of fact the Detective was pretty confident that Kramer was behind it.

Thats the way i understood it. Basically, it sounded like everyone knew that ben contracted bobby for the hit but they never had hard physical evidence to prove it. That was until the feds contacted the miami police and told them that Aronow was supposed to testify against kramer for money laundering charges. He was going to testify that kramer paid him for blue thunder with dirty money. The hit on Aronow happened a few days before he was supposed to testify.

97BossHammer 02-26-2004 04:38 PM

I'm starting to understand this a little now, sounds like a real mess as is everything where drugs are involved. I'm going to buy the book and read it, very interesting.

Havasu Cig 02-26-2004 04:43 PM

Hey Corrado, do you own an Apache???:rolleyes: :cool: :D

CAP071 02-26-2004 04:43 PM

Either way he screwed the wrong person, and he got his pay backs. So is life in the world of Dirty business. sad but true.