Notices

challenger offshore

Old 03-18-2004, 05:01 PM
FWK

Whirlygig, yes it was part of something Aronow had designed. Per Ron D. The the 42 hull is the performer that eventually became the Axiom. I know Ron personally and he confirmed this. If you look at the Excalibur forum you will find some research that was done by someone who bought a 1977 Performer SC. BTW it has inboards. The thread is called "40' excalibur copy". By a member named Herman.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Whirlygig
FWK,

The 42 challenger started out as a 36 Cigarette "wide body". It also was built by Midnight Express, they called it the 37. Overall beam was 9'4" with the rub rail included. Midnight took the 36, cut the transom off, angled up the rubrail for a deeper hull side and stretched it to 40'6" overall. They built one hull which was a simple hull plug to build a deck plug on. The deck plug got to "duratec" stage and then was stored in the weeds behind Marine Machine for a few years as the company went defunct. There was never a deck mold built.

The hull mold, hull plug and deck plug were purchased in the early ninties by some of the remnants of the Cary Marine Corporation after Randy Postma closed it down in the late Eighties. They started a company called Offshore Concepts, Inc. The hull mold was refinished, the hull and deck plug were cut and pasted to produce what they called the 42 Axiom Race Deck. They later produced a second deck mold for the same hull and named it the 42 Axiom SC (Sport Cruiser) with more head room and integral windshield. The company produced a handfull of custom offshore powerboats before selling years later to Challenger Offshore, now owned by Ron DiBartolo.

Below is a pick of the original hull mold beginning the refinishing process.
Good post. Thanks for sharing. Info like this sure helps clear / clean up some of the mystery that surrounds alot of our 'smaller', relatively unknown boat companies.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim AGles ran the Challenger in B Class as Mr. Goodwrench with Phil McCombs in the early 90's. Sold to Joe Turek - Crazy Rhythm and raced in Silver Lake series. (1995) Joey Jr. still owns the boat last I knew up in St. Charles, IL.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a few updates, Some of the info is not correct, but it's ok. Some of the Challanger "names" are mixed up.
Early 90's John Simpson bought the molds and the Co, Challanger Offshore. (from MI) Harry Sholl designed the step, specifically for the Merc. Black Hawks. IT IS A GREAT HULL. IMHO, but the Black Hawks just did not last. We tested the drives with Merc, in Lake "X" with all the underwater films, etc. THe Co. was planning to move to Pompano, but due to some internal Chitt. John had to sell. That's when Ron bought the stuff. (I think) The boats went down hill for a while. I don't think Ron is with the Co. anymore and now the quility is back up. I lost touch with John Simpson, but I ran the 33DDC's and while hull No. 1 was a bit heavy it was doing 90+ with stadard 502 and the B. Hawks. and heavy chop.
I think it's a great boat for the $, and they are getting better. I have pics of hull no. 1 and I will dig it up. If interested.
But for the record the Shoull design is GREAT. AT hulls are very similar. both by Harry.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default This boat? lol

Old 01-22-2021, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamma

Them were the good old days. Owned one and wish I stil had.