Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Just received a new assessment... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73044-ot-just-received-new-assessment.html)

otis311 03-03-2004 03:19 PM

What G.L.said

THANKS SHANE !!

Now shut up and pay the bill before they raise mine again

GLH 03-03-2004 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Unfortunately GL the case around LG is that the lakeside residents bear an overly significant and proportionate share of the burden.
I imagine the value of your lakeside homes are overly proportioned in significance to the tax base also.

Hey Bob did you hear this Shane is going to share the capital gain on his property with you if the tax breakout was more in his favor.!!!

You cannot eat your cake and still have it my pepsi drinking buddy. :D:D:D All in all you'll still be ahead.

Now let's ask epeek how big a nut he'll have to swallow on his new castle! :eek::eek::eek: :D:D

hugetime1 03-04-2004 04:59 PM

I am going to have to side with shane on this one, there should be a more fair way to distribute the tax burden, I feel property tax should be based on lot size and square foot of the dwelling, this would be a much more objective way of determining a tax base. currently the tax is on assessed value and to many of these residents, there homes appreciated by accident . what I mean by this is that when someone bought one of these homes back in the 60's they just couldn't imagine that thair home would one day be worth 2 million dollors
nor did they ever imagine that they would have to pay the taxes on a 2 million dollar home due to the fact that the probobly paid 60-80 thousand for it 30 years ago and by the standards of that time that was expensive. and the assessed value is meaningless to these people because they never want to sell there lake house, they want to pass it on from generation to generation for there heirs to enjoy but unfortunatly this may not happen because the people inheriting these homes just can't afford $25,000 a year in taxes, that is $2,000 dollars a month that they would have to pay to own a house that is all paid off. That is double the average mortgage payment in the U.S..

Shane 03-04-2004 05:09 PM

Originally posted by hugetime1
I am going to have to side with shane on this one, there should be a more fair way to distribute the tax burden, I feel property tax should be based on lot size and square foot of the dwelling, this would be a much more objective way of determining a tax base. currently the tax is on assessed value and to many of these residents, there homes appreciated by accident . what I mean by this is that when someone bought one of these homes back in the 60's they just couldn't imagine that thair home would one day be worth 2 million dollors
nor did they ever imagine that they would have to pay the taxes on a 2 million dollar home due to the fact that the probobly paid 60-80 thousand for it 30 years ago and by the standards of that time that was expensive. and the assessed value is meaningless to these people because they never want to sell there lake house, they want to pass it on from generation to generation for there heirs to enjoy but unfortunatly this may not happen because the people inheriting these homes just can't afford $25,000 a year in taxes, that is $2,000 dollars a month that they would have to pay to own a house that is all paid off. That is double the average mortgage payment in the U.S..

There is a lot of truth in that hugetime1. The fact of capital appreciation is nice, but when the idea is passing the home on as you say the enhanced value is nothing more than a paper with numbers on it. Until the sale is made the increased value has no significance. Figure this, I pay over $8,000 annually in SCHOOL TAX! IF I had a kid, that would pay for a pretty decent PRIVATE school education. And if you look at the quality (or lack thereof) of a Bolton Public school education, as a function of what I pay, it is CRIMINAL! If any REASONABLE person spent that much to send their kids to PRIVATE school and got the INCOMPETENCE and BULL**** that the public schools are today, they would be OUTRAGED!

otis311 03-04-2004 07:26 PM

Shane, There is an option if you dont like the tax situation here in Bolton Landing.......

MOVE

You could then buy some nice waterfront property in Green Island or Troy on the lovely Hudson River and cut your tax bill by 75%

GLH 03-04-2004 07:33 PM

Boooo Hooooo Hooooo find another $ 25k camp with cheap ass taxes they're are plenty around, please...

You two guys are intelligent people you think you have an argument about unfair taxes because the place your parents bought 25 years ago for $10k is now worth $2 Mill. Come on guys cry me a freakn river... fess up to the value you will enjoy when you sell them or MOVE as Bob said you can't be serious!!!

Or whinne but share ALL the capital gains, Please!

That is funny!!! :D:D:D:D

HyperBaja 03-04-2004 07:38 PM

our mismanaged school just passed a 61million dollar levy. for every 100k of property, 350$ more in taxes/yr. Everyone I know is pissed. Friends dad is an attorney, has over 1.5 million into one of his houses here....called the cops to report littering, all of those Vote Yes signs along the road. haha.

GLH 03-04-2004 07:38 PM

Lets see $1,940,000 in capital gains induces $24,000 a year to in property taxes. Hummmmm, where do I sign up.

GLH 03-04-2004 07:40 PM

Originally posted by HyperBaja
our mismanaged school just passed a 61million dollar levy. for every 100k of property, 350$ more in taxes/yr. Everyone I know is pissed. Friends dad is an attorney, has over 1.5 million into one of his houses here....called the cops to report littering, all of those Vote Yes signs along the road. haha.
Before shaking the tree HB try watering it for a while.

mopower 03-04-2004 09:03 PM

I just hope I'm still alive when the next revolution comes:rolleyes: . It's gotta stop sometime:mad: