Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Personal Liability Umbrella (Insurance) Policies (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73196-personal-liability-umbrella-insurance-policies.html)

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 08:47 AM

Personal Liability Umbrella (Insurance) Policies

(PLUP)
Does anyone else have one?
Very smart dollar spent IMHO,
I pay State Farm $224 year for $2M in coverage in any liability.

It works as such:
I carry both my vehicles with SF.
I carry my renters/homeowners with SF.
My boat is with NMU, but SF would insure it; I just chose not to have all my eggs in one basket. (Not a requirement to have everything with SF.)

Basically, all of the above policies have liability coverages on them. Each of them has a deductible. In the event of an accident covered by any of the above policies, your pay and meet your deductible.

In the event, you exceed your liability coverage for that respective policy, the amount of your liability coverage limit, is your deductible for your PLUP. Your PLUP then kicks in until it reaches its limit.

I figure, ANYTHING can happen out there, unfortunately; and while I don't carry an abundance of life insurance, I also do not have a family that I am supporting. The PLUP does cover me pretty well in the event something goes wrong, it hopefully will not affect the rest of my life; monetarily. I think I am going to upgrade the policy to $3M next year. Its not much more.

Cord 03-04-2004 08:52 AM

I wanted to get one. But American Family wants all my policies. The problem is that they refuse to insure my boat!

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 08:54 AM

Push 'em Cord. I did not have to, as SF was friendly about it. Take your declarations page to them, and tell them to push it to the underwriters.

CustomRigger101 03-04-2004 08:55 AM

1 milion for 108 yearly

CigDaze 03-04-2004 08:56 AM

224/year is great for the peace of mind. I've looked into it before, but most insurers want all of your policies. Okay in theory, but limits your ability to shop around. In the end, I'd be paying through the nose to do that, regardless of who: SF, allstate, nationwide, I've checked them all.

mr_velocity 03-04-2004 09:34 AM

Originally posted by CustomRigger101
1 milion for 108 yearly
Well spill the beans. With who?

Dock Holiday 03-04-2004 09:59 AM

Money well spent, Our agent talked us into doing it last year and I'm glad we did.

However I ran into a lot of questions if you wanted over $1 Million, so we just stayed at that level.

We did however have to up our coverage on the auto's to meet the requirements of the unbrella policy.

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK INTO THIS.

Jan 03-04-2004 10:02 AM

1 Mill. form State Farm for $125 a year. Only catch was I had to up the coverages on all Cars, Boat and Bike.

Still think it is worth the money.

Anyone have Earthquake ins?

$90 a year from State Farm for 95% rebuild. Cheapest/best policy I own.

Jan

OldSchool 03-04-2004 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Jan

Anyone have Earthquake ins?

$90 a year from State Farm for 95% rebuild. Cheapest/best policy I own.

Jan

Dude!!!

When was the last earthquake in South Carolina?:crazy: :crazy:

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Dock Holiday
Money well spent...

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK INTO THIS.

EXACTLY why I posted. Thank you all for your inputs.

jafo 03-04-2004 10:14 AM

We've had one with American Family since we purchased our home in '87. It was strongly recommended to us by our agent (a friend of ours as well) because we have an inground pool and waterfront on the river which were both viewed as possible liabilities. American Family insures all of our vehicles, boats, and properties.
I think the coverage is now at 3 million; not sure of the cost- one of the advantages of having a spouse that's a CPA is I don't have to write the bills:D , I just ask whether I have any money or not (and permission, of course:p )

NOT!:D

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 10:15 AM

Originally posted by craig223
Dude!!!

Yeah Craig, but when was the last one in the DC area? About 4 or 5 weeks ago. :D :eek:

As a matter of fact... I was sitting in my State Farm Agent's secretary's office when it happened.

Macklin 03-04-2004 11:00 AM

I have $1M coverage through Travelers for about $150/year. (Stupid cheap for the peace of mind.) The only other policy I currenty have with them is auto.

Jan 03-04-2004 11:08 AM

Dude!!!

One of the most active faults in the Country runs from Charleston thru Columbia. Columbia and its surrounding area had 600 tremors last year. I know this because I work at a Nuke plant ,we have detection equipment everywhere around the site.

Insurance is for just in case, right?

Jan

OldSchool 03-04-2004 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Jan
One of the most active faults in the Country runs from Charleston thru Columbia. Columbia and its surrounding area had 600 tremors last year. I know this because I work at a Nuke plant ,we have detection equipment everywhere around the site.

Insurance is for just in case, right?

Jan

WOW, I didn't know that!!!

Are you all warming up down there? It's going to be 75 here tommorrow!!!

32fever 03-04-2004 11:16 AM

Does this help reduce premiums on anything else insured (ie. will it reduce your auto cause you have other liability coverage then, etc)? Or is it just additional insurance/piece of mind?

I'd like to get sued for "everything I own". I need help making the payments on all of it anyway. :D:D:D

Von Bongo 03-04-2004 11:44 AM

SF made me change my liability coverage on my autos when I got my umbrella policy. But as my agent said...you have enough assets now you can't afford to be without more liability coverage.

I think I pay around $175 or so a year for it.

BajaRunner 03-04-2004 12:17 PM

I just called SF for 1million vs 2 million, ill see where they come out. Ive never heard of this. and they have never recommended it.

BajaRunner 03-04-2004 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Von Bongo

1mil or 2?

Scarab105 03-04-2004 12:44 PM

its great if you have wild kids too.

Shane 03-04-2004 01:05 PM

I have had one for years. I have a GREAT SF agent and have all my insurance with them except for the Skater as they will not insure it. I did however shop all my policies and came back to my agent and he made drastic reductions in the premiums. I don't think there is much of a concern with having all of your insurance at one firm unless you have astronomical coverage amounts to cover astronomical assets. Then find a good agent that represents many companies. I have had only 2 claims in my life, one just now for water damage due to ice back up, and one other for when my truck was broken into and lots of stuff stolen. SF paid in 48 hours NO QUESTIONS asked!

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 02:10 PM

32Fever, you will have to check with your Agent. Everyone is different. It is possible; depending on where your limits are now.

OldSchool 03-04-2004 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz

As a matter of fact... I was sitting in my State Farm Agent's secretary's office when it happened.

Let me guess.....You're dating her!!:D :D :D :D

Sydwayz 03-04-2004 04:07 PM

Let me guess.....You're dating her!!:D :D :D :D
After I left today, I KNEW someone was going to say that!

OldSchool 03-04-2004 04:15 PM

I had to!!!!:D :D :D

BajaRunner 03-04-2004 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Von Bongo
SF made me change my liability coverage on my autos when I got my umbrella policy. But as my agent said...you have enough assets now you can't afford to be without more liability coverage.

I just got the same speech. raise all the limits first.

Jassman 03-04-2004 04:31 PM

have mine with SafeCo, they are located in IL. Also had to up all my deductables when I got my UP.

Von Bongo 03-04-2004 05:14 PM

1 mil is my limit..and if you are ever in an accident DO NOT tell people about it, it's amazing what injuries they come up with. At least that is what my agent advised me.

Neverfastenuf 03-04-2004 05:54 PM

Had one for years. It is good peace of mind. Sam

32fever 03-04-2004 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
32Fever, you will have to check with your Agent. Everyone is different. It is possible; depending on where your limits are now.
Sounds like everyone had to rise their liability on other policies first. So that means it will most likely make the other insurances cost more if not at the max currently.

I'm looking at rewriting the business right now. I'm starting with companies that will insure offshore boats first. Then, maybe they'll get the rest of the business:D Working backwards.... I've asked my current agent about 5 times now for help there, and I'm about ready to kick him to dah curb. I'll have to inquire about this while I'm at it.

Quite a few people seem to have it, though and I've been contemplating it for a while. Hmmmm, maybe you are all the wild and crazy people on the water thinking "screw it, hey guys, watch this (don't worry about it, I'm insured)" LOL!

If I remember right, that takes a secondary role to, say auto insurance. Once you've maxed the, say, $1mil there and then it would tap the UP right? Which makes sense why the want you to raise auto and other limits....less chance it will ever get used. But in that case, it really costs more than $175 a year when you add auto/boat/home, etc increases. Just being realistic about the "actual cost".

Risk Taker 03-04-2004 10:21 PM

I love it when you guys get all "in there" with insurance talk........:D:D;)

rbtnt 03-04-2004 11:02 PM

I've had it for years.

Ran into a problem with the deductible on the umbrella going up this year. My boat insurer would not raise my limit to match the new umbrella deductible. My agent convinced the company that has the umbrella, to lower the deductible since I have had for so many years.

105mph_38_2003 03-05-2004 04:20 AM

I also have 2 mil coverage, wise money if you ask me. I think it was only about $26 more a month and you never know when something could happen.

mcollinstn 03-05-2004 07:56 AM

You're stark naked without it...

Generally, most PUP policies require you to have a $300k liability limit on your separate policies. If you aren't up to $300k yet, then you need to bump them up.

Some of you guys got some EXCELLENT rates on a PUP. I'm with Allstate, and they tell me that the PUP rate is based on how much other "stuff" you got. Just my luck..

While the rates are linear for additional coverage, if I do the math and back mine down to the 1M limit, it works out to $289/yr.

Sydwayz 11-15-2004 11:34 AM

Re: Personal Liability Umbrella (Insurance) Policies

Needed to bring this back to the top. Its important; which I am finding out as of recent. It can happen to you too.

OldSchool 11-15-2004 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Needed to bring this back to the top. Its important; which I am finding out as of recent. It can happen to you too.

What happened Brian?

waterheater 11-15-2004 12:13 PM

Paying $280 for 2M for mine.

Sydwayz 11-15-2004 12:23 PM

I was in an accident on Friday. I will probably be found at fault, and not sure what is going to happen. Yes, I am worried.

waterheater 11-15-2004 12:48 PM

Any injuries?

Sydwayz 11-15-2004 01:07 PM

The Pathfinder in front of me as we were all going through a left hand turn green arrow crammed on his brakes and stopped when the light turned yellow. He had been sitting at the light; so he was going slower than I. I was approaching, and still decellerating. I braked and the Jeep I was drving slid into the next lane and hit a Cavelier. The Pathfinder guy said he saw me coming, and he still stopped. I think he was hoping to get hit; and he was an immediate dick as soon as the accident happened. He was not hit or damaged. I asked him how come he stopped. He started climbing down my throat and his wife had to pull him away. I feel terrible that I hit someone; even moreso as described above. I took the woman in the Cavelier flowers in the ER I felt so bad. I was not going more than 25mph, as I was about to turn, I was decellerating, and the Jeep was only in 2nd gear.

When a light turns yellow and I have the option of stopping my vehicle, instincitively, I look in the rear view mirror to see if anyone behind me can stop. I just don't get it.

Yes, I made a mistake by not preparing for the Pathfinder to stop; and allowing myself enough room to stop. I was also in my Sister's just purchasd Jeep, and that fact is complicating things with insurance. We all have State Farm, so hopefully things can be settled amicably.