Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powerboat Racing Game PS2 - X-BOX (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73810-powerboat-racing-game-ps2-x-box.html)

robyw1 03-11-2004 09:22 AM

Powerboat Racing Game PS2 - X-BOX

As some of you might recall I was looking into the possibility of creating a Playstation 2 Offshore racing game. I had all but given up on the idea until I was contacted last night about the idea I submitted. (apparently these things take time) We discussed the idea of making this game based on the same format as Grand Turismo 3; where you get so much money to start with and you work your way up by winning races. He asked me to put together a presentation of the game and submit it to them. Basically I need to create a tree with (in our case) vessels, equipment, perimeters and prices. I can explain all of that later based on the ideas I get back from you guys. What I need are ideas on equipment such as Manufactures, specifications and prices of:

Boats: size, weight, price, single-twin-triple

Engines: Manufacture Horsepower, price, expected life in hours.

Drives: Manufacture, price, expected life in hours

Props: Manufacture, price, specifications

Misc: Optional equipment specifications and price. (you can add ideas here)

I need the above info for a tree. The next step I will have to submit the perimeters so that an idea can be had for the size of data. This is going to be very important. Depending on the quality of the graphics the equipment needs to be of the most common names in the industry. This is due to space limitations for data. (approx 17.5gig) Once that is optimized then comes the licensing of names. If we get past this then come the hard part. THE ART WORK! I was told if we make it to the artwork part then things are looking real good. I am only interested in this project if you all are so Just throw your ideas in.

I await your feedback
Roby

DoTheMath 03-11-2004 09:33 AM

I'd be up for that, let me pull some ideas together and I'll get them to you.

-Mark-

CigDaze 03-11-2004 09:49 AM

Alright!! Good work, Rob! Getting their interest is the hard part. Now, we need to convince them that they need to make this game and that there is interest. I think we can all show them interest. ;)

What about venues and the racing body?

robyw1 03-11-2004 09:52 AM

It will take time I'm sure but if this thing is created it will sure help us get through the winter. :D:D

Roby

CigDaze 03-11-2004 10:04 AM

Using APBA's Model:

Performance Classes:
P5 - Any boat, 70mph or less
P4 - Any boat, 70-79 mph
P3 - Any boat, 80-89 mph
P2 - Any boat, 90-99 mph
P1 - Any Boat, 100-109 mph
PV/PX - Vee/Cat 110+ mph

-F1 - 24'-30' Vee Single 502cid, weight varies by size/eng., 4100#-5325#
-FII - 35'-39' Vee Twin 502cid, weight varies by size/eng., 6900#-8900#
-Super V Light Single - 26'-32' Vee 496/502, 4500# min.
-Super Vee Light Twin - 34'-40' Twin 496/502, 8000# min.
-Super V - 38'-40' 495-510, 9000# min.
-Super Cat Light 30'-37'6" Twin 496/502, Weight: Min. HP 500 EFI w/ Bravo/#6 – 7500lbs / 8500lbs
HP 525 & HP3 w/Bravo/#6=8200lbs / 8900lbs
-Super Cat 38'-40' Twin 495-510, 9500# min.

I would love to see 3 options when the game starts:
(1) Race through the ranks with Vees - Start with P5 and work your way up through the P series, then F1, F2 and Super V
(2) Race through the ranks with Cats - Start with P5, then Super Cat light, then Super Cat
(3) Unlimited Demo. Play. Pick the biggest/baddest PV/PX and just go have fun!

Just some thoughts...I don't know costs.

To simplify the game, maybe give only 3 or 4 levels per series....Intro Class(p-class), F-1, F-2, Super V.....for cats, P-class, super Cat Light, Super Cat. Or something like that.

DoTheMath 03-11-2004 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Using APBA's Model:

Performance Classes:
P5 - Any boat, 70mph or less
P4 - Any boat, 70-79 mph
P3 - Any boat, 80-89 mph
P2 - Any boat, 90-99 mph
P1 - Any Boat, 100-109 mph
PV/PX - Vee/Cat 110+ mph

F1 - 24'-30' Vee Single 502cid
FII - 35'-39' Vee Twin 502cid
Super V Light Single - 26'-32' Vee 496/502
Super Vee Light Twin - 34'-40' Twin 496/502
Super V - 38'-40' 495-510
Super Cat Light 30'-37'6" Twin 496/502
Super Cat 38'-40' Twin 495-510

I would love to see 3 options when the game starts:
(1) Race through the ranks with Vees - Start with P5 and work your way up through the P series, then F1, F2 and Super V
(2) Race through the ranks with Cats - Start with P5, then Super Cat light, then Super Cat
(3) Unlimited Demo. Play. Pick the biggest/baddest PV/PX and just go have fun!

Just some thoughts...I don't know costs.

Yeah, what he said!:D

I think that if it was modeled after the APBA format it would be fitting. Maybe have a few choices in props, or just build your own boat, hull, engines drives, for "P" class? Change up water / weather conditions like in GT, (How fun would it be to stuff a boat and not have to worry about getting hurt?) An online option, racing with others around the web? Maybe an OSO paceboat in the mix? Oops, I actually have to go to a meeting, damn work getting in the way of this!!:p

robyw1 03-11-2004 10:21 AM

:D I like that idea. Yes of course you have to race in those classes and you will have to build up your boat to do so. The more races you win or place well in the more $$$ you get for bigger, faster, better equipment. Not to mention buying more equipment to have for different conditions. it is all about $$$ as it is in real life. Engines and drives wear out you must spend $$$ to replace them after so many hours. You hit another boat and then you have to spend $$$ for repairs. It could be made to where you can trade older equipment in for credit. I think this reality format will make this game enjoyable for all.

Roby

CigDaze 03-11-2004 10:25 AM

I agree, make it as realistic as possible. Start out with some money, win purses, take penalties, pay for wrecks, etc. Trade equipment, claim pops, etc. The more you win, the more you advance. Sounds like GT....;)

Ron P 03-11-2004 10:31 AM

You'll need to allow the user to pick whatever hull they want to use.

Frankly I'd limit this software to F1, F2, Super V, SuperCat light and Super Cat. That should be plenty.

As an example, in F2, you should be able to choose between a Fountain, Outerlimits, Donzi or Formula. Each boat needs to handle just a little differently.

In Super Cat, pick between an MTI or Skater.

You might find that APBA would like to have their name on the software, in fact they might insist on it if you use their class names. This should mimic the NASCAR software. Also, Donzi, Formula etc might kick in some $ to get this software built. What better way to introduce kids to offshore boat racing.

YES I'D BY A COPY. CAN IT RUN ON AN IBM Clone or do I need to by Playstation?

I had an old DOS offshore racing game, and it was important to throttle on and off in the rough or the engine would overheat as it over revved. Trim was also very important to keep the boat in the water.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN. YOU"LL GO DOWN IN BOAT RACING HISTORY!!!!!!

Jonas 03-11-2004 10:34 AM

i would buy a few games..:)

mirageman 03-11-2004 10:36 AM

I think it is a great idea!
I'd buy a copy!

stecz20 03-11-2004 10:39 AM

how bout cigarette...don t see that.

robyw1 03-11-2004 10:44 AM

Well we can go with a lot of boats, I was thinking going off the categories listed in the OSO owner forums. Branch that off with engine options, branch engines to appropriate drives to appropriate props. Of course $$$ will have to be spent on making those boats competitive with canopies and other safety equip.

Roby

Ange 03-11-2004 10:44 AM

Heck yea, give ME a game to play on the Playstation!

CigDaze 03-11-2004 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Ron P
You'll need to allow the user to pick whatever hull they want to use.

Frankly I'd limit this software to F1, F2, Super V, SuperCat light and Super Cat. That should be plenty.

As an example, in F2, you should be able to choose between a Fountain, Outerlimits, Donzi or Formula. Each boat needs to handle just a little differently.

In Super Cat, pick between an MTI or Skater.

You might find that APBA would like to have their name on the software, in fact they might insist on it if you use their class names. This should mimic the NASCAR software. Also, Donzi, Formula etc might kick in some $ to get this software built. What better way to introduce kids to offshore boat racing.

YES I'D BY A COPY. CAN IT RUN ON AN IBM Clone or do I need to by Playstation?

I had an old DOS offshore racing game, and it was important to throttle on and off in the rough or the engine would overheat as it over revved. Trim was also very important to keep the boat in the water.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN. YOU"LL GO DOWN IN BOAT RACING HISTORY!!!!!!

Excellent Ideas! I think Cig and Scarab should be in there, too. Both have long histories in racing.

CigDaze 03-11-2004 10:48 AM

The more dial-in options, the better

X-dim, prop pitch and type, drive style, toe-in/toe-out, stagger or side-by-side engines, tab size, placement, etc. The more technical, the better.

mirageman 03-11-2004 10:50 AM

Like the gran Tourismo games, I think there should be quite a few manufacturers and models to choose from. And then as you win races you can either soup up your existing boats or buy and sell new ones.
Maybe a long course race as well. Miami to Bimini and back?
It will almost be a full time job collecting data but worth it.
Cigarette's,Fountains,Outerlimits,powerplay,panter a etc...
stepped hulls, non-stepped hulls, different drives, different props but with props it should be made easy, the better the prop the more money.

:)

SteveO 03-11-2004 10:51 AM

I'm in!

I may be getting ahead of the game here but I used to have a poweboat racing game that ran on the computer with a steering wheel and foot pedals. I always thought how cool it would be to have a steering wheel that mounted to the desk but aslo had a throttle that mounted next to it. Just like a real boat and make it so you have to work it if the boat comes out of the water:D

DoTheMath 03-11-2004 10:52 AM

I like the "old school" style option, get a race (or two) "offshore", waaaay off, out to the Bahamas and back would be cool! Nasty water and all!:)

robyw1 03-11-2004 11:03 AM

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE! KEEP EM COMING

Roby

Maritime_Eng 03-11-2004 11:06 AM

You Guys have no idea how long I have been waiting for a game like this. I would be able to boat all year long in Minnesota. I can wait!!!

Ron P 03-11-2004 11:48 AM

Several different race courses are needed.

Choose, Key West, Miami - Nassau - Miami, Daytona, Marathon,

Run a single race or go for a national championship and run the whole series of races in sequence.

Check out NASCAR from Papyrus. This is a perfect template for this game.

Choice of view - In cockpit or behind boat from a chopper or riding on the bow.

mirageman 03-11-2004 12:09 PM

Real sounds too! have them make recordings of twins and singles and different horespower ranges.
Your choice of graghics options from a list or create your own, or none at all
You choose your race numbers.
Have some vintage boats as well.
Do I dare say APACHE?

:D

Wasabe 03-11-2004 12:14 PM

Fantastic Idea. However I have Xbox and Playstation 2. Xbox is hands down better.

DoTheMath 03-11-2004 12:21 PM

Where is T2x when you need him...? For that "this is the way it was waaaaaay back when" info.:D

lucky strike 03-11-2004 12:31 PM

I would buy it without question, just make it for Playstation 2!!! :)

LS JR.

CigDaze 03-11-2004 01:11 PM

Race sites:
Key West, Bahamas, Miami, St. Pete, NY, Daytona, Chicago, San Fran....

robyw1 03-11-2004 01:30 PM

We need a lot more race sites than that to keep everyone interested. Of course Sarasota will be the big $$$ super bowl

Roby

DoTheMath 03-11-2004 01:35 PM

NY, Atlantic City NJ (the days of the Trump promotions), Ocean city MD, Orange Beach, Maybe Cape Cod, MA (that was a nasty race last year!).

RollWithIt 03-11-2004 01:36 PM

What I think might be a cool addition to the game is to be able to show damage to the boat. Some of the car games like Grand Theft Auto 3 or Vice City will show physical damage to cars when you wreck into objects. Show damage when you wreck into another boat or stuff too hard. Also, would we be allowed to say, if you went off course, run onto the beach or hit a peer??

robyw1 03-11-2004 02:01 PM

Believe me all of that stuff is figured in. I don't want this game to be easy as in where you can rack up millions of dollars and buy 100 boats to play with. NO NO! This game will keep hitting your virtual wallet with constant repairs and maintenance. You keep winning you will keep getting bigger and better things. You keep losing and you will stay the 22'-26' class with only a single 377 horsepower. That is where everyone's going to start.

On another note I'm working on an Excel file trying to gather information for this game. Does anyone want to give it a crack? If you want to fill and or add information please do so and send it back to me. I will then merge the files. If you work with Excel you can see that I have it formatted pretty simple so I can embed more individual information later. E-mail me at: [email protected] if you want to add your suggestions to the file. Please understand that this is in no way a done deal but the more info I get the better the game will be, and most importantly the demand for it.

Thanks
Roby

Ron P 03-11-2004 02:01 PM

Yes, each race course needs to have it's own unique wave pattern and wave size.

Do are you done yet? Will it be available next week?

26scarab 03-11-2004 05:11 PM

I'm in for a PS 2 game !!

I like Baja Daze's format also need a demo/trial format so you can just have some fun if you don't want to race a whole series

I would like to see some of the "offshore" style races so you would actually have to do a little navigating.

Varying water conditions is a must ! and having to work the throttle when airing out would be cool.

Some ideas for cheat codes or bonus boats would be a Callan turbine boat, Bacardi silver, and old Apache would be cool.

Also after winning enough money being able to build your own boat would be cool.

This can be done, look at Grand Turismo 2 (much better than 3) and some of the Rally car games. In Jet Moto2 there is a water area and the waves are pretty realistic. In some of the moto cross games doubling or tripling jumps gets you ahead. REALISM is a must if you are going to sell this game to adults as well as kids. I've got a Snowmobile game and it's cool but they made up stupid names for some of the things you can modify. Real names would have been better.
I'm sure some of the manufactures would through a few bucks into the mix to get there name in the game. I remember wipeout XL had Red Bull signs in the game.

I really hope this can get developed it would be awesome.

C M R 03-11-2004 06:02 PM

This is an Awesome idea!! heck I use to play Grand Theft Auto half the time just to drive the boats around! :rolleyes: haha Count me in I'd buy it!

FFO 03-12-2004 06:53 AM

Make the game for all systems !!! It would help promote the sport. Also make goals to open new courses , and paint shop and engine room etc. Throw in poker runs for a chance to test your boat and setup . Make the wind be random so you don't get good at one course. The list could go on and on.. Good luck.. I would buy

DyD 03-12-2004 08:49 AM

Why would you not make the game available for both platforms ??

Either way I think that I would buy the game console just to play the game.

My only concern would be that in GT I never finished the long races, just because they were to long and boring, just took up too much time. So I would limit the length of the races, or make the time adjustable.

I agree that there should be some vintage boats available, and that everyone should start off in the smaller boats and work their way up.

Great idea, I hope it becomes a reality.

FunHome 03-12-2004 08:58 AM

I hope it doesn't include guns and stupid jumps like other's I've seen!! Just waves!!

This would be awesome!! I'd buy one!!

Would it be for X-Box as well??

CigDaze 03-12-2004 09:03 AM

The more I think about it, I'm sure the game would be best suited for a dedicated game console like PS2 or X-Box, but most of us don't have those at work. But most of us do have PC's.....We need a PC version! :D :D

Ron P 03-12-2004 09:05 AM

Agreed, no guns or stupid ramps to jump. That'll just ruin it.

robyw1 03-12-2004 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Ron P
Agreed, no guns or stupid ramps to jump. That'll just ruin it.
Well maybe a manatee or two. :D:D