Notices

Aronow/188th St Memorial

Old 03-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aronow/188th St Memorial

Bob Saccenti asked me, and I accepted, to design the plaque for the Memorial to our newly departed street. This is for all of us. Please post your idea of what should or should not be included. Bob and I and a couple of other guys will try to agree on a design, and will put it up for approval. I have a great connection to get it made for reasonable $.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great IDEA Brownie! Cool interview on City Confidential too!

I am assuming it would be in bronze or something similar with a raised image and lettering?

I think a 3/4 profile head shot (raised) would be a great depiction of his machismo, charisma and good looks. I will draft something that you may want to include or excerpts from and post later. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shane
Cool interview on City Confidential too!

Which one was Brownie??? Now I'll have to watch it again.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

There's a black and white photo of Don standing in front of his boat being lifted off the trailer prior or after a race. Don has that large than life look with a live vest over his shoulder.

That image should be made into a life size statue and placed at the entrance to the street.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

I was thinking of a bronze plaque, about 24" x 36", 1" thick, with raised letters, and probably a face of "The Czar", with a listing of the boat companies that have been there, and maybe a few of the people.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Ron P, that photo is "the classic" Don photo. If a picture is worth a 1,000 words - that is a books worth!

Maybe do the whole thing in granite? They can do just about anything in granite these days, make it stout and list the companies on it that made the street famous, or infamous...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered

This is new ground for me. The way I know to do it is to make a plaque, and stick it on a rock. I'm open to any suggestion.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

I like the idea of a bronze plaque on a large rock. The photo mentioned above is perfect. A listing of then names of the companies etc is excellent. I think there should be a brief decsription on how an industry was born on this street etc.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I figured you were going after, my only thought was vandalism. If you were to attach a bronze plaque to a large chunk of stone, someone could think it would be a nice piece to have at home and try to pry it off? Maybe not, but it's just something to keep in mind...

If you did the whole thing on a big chunk of granite, picture a block maybe 3' x 3' and about the same in height, sitting on a base of 40" x 40" by about 8" or 10" high. Cut the top of the block at a 45 deg. angle with the "top" being the highest side and have the picture engraved on the top with some tribute below. This will keep from looking like a headstone and more like a memorial. Then possibly on the front or the back vertical side have the names of the boat companies and what not listed as well. Just some thoughts, but at least it will be one piece and tougher to mess with?

Just my .02 Brownie
Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

Anybody know anyone in that business?

Quick Reply: Aronow/188th St Memorial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.