Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating on Lake George??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74992-boating-lake-george.html)

Panther 03-24-2004 01:01 PM

Boating on Lake George???

Ok, a bunch of friends who like fishing asked me if I wanted to go to Lake George with them and I don't know if I want to go.

What is the boating like up on Lake George? Also, does anyone know how big it is? I was pondering the idea of trailering my boat up there (30ft. scarab) for the trip.

Any info you have is appreciated, I am use to boating on the rivers and ocean and not on a lake.

Panther

LEOPAJM 03-24-2004 01:04 PM

It's 33 miles long .... pretty darn wide ?? and your 30 is a little big .... put it is probably the most beautiful body of water you will EVER see !!!!

DO it !!!!:cool:

ChrisK 03-24-2004 01:21 PM

lake george NY or lake george FL? I know both of em... I am ASSuming NY seeing you are in the northeast.

If that is the case and it is NY, better bring your ice breaker and leave the scarab at home. :D

Panther 03-24-2004 01:42 PM

Thanks Leopaj,

I think my friends wanted to go there some time in July/August.

I'm not much of a fisherman so I was hoping I could do a little bit of boating as well. I may just need to bite the bullet just this once and use the rod and reel for the weekend. 30miles wide huh? I could cover the whole lake in the AM with my boat.

I wonder if they have noise ordinances because it is a national park and all??

Chris288 03-24-2004 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Panther

All kinds of hassles from what I have heard.. best to ask Shane..

R Addiction 03-24-2004 02:00 PM

I hear that the fees are pretty steep. I've been there (boatless) and it is very nice.:p

GLH 03-24-2004 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't bother Panther there all whimps up there. :D:D:D

Kidding very nice Lake we go in mid May and are planning for October this year. A bunch of awesome guys on the board boat up there; Ottis311, Shane, hotboat, tantrum, epeek and a bunch of other degenerate... :D

Mid-Summer I hear is busy there but you'll have Officer Dunn keeping everybody honest on the Lake, he's a real assett on the Lake.

Pics from last years May trip;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...50dscf0004.jpg http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...50dscf0005.jpg http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...cf0002-med.jpg

and finally Tantrum and hotboat coordinating repairs or maybe Tantrum is just checking out hotboat's azz! :D
I love the milage I'm getting out of that picture

Panther 03-24-2004 03:43 PM

Hopefully, Ottis311, Shane, hotboat, tantrum, and epeek will chime in here. If I don't bring the boat it would be nice to hook up with someone so I don't have to fish for 4 days.

otis311 03-24-2004 05:29 PM

Bring the boat. You will be pissed if you dont. The fishing here is excellent. The boating is as good as anywhere that time of year. Idont think 30 is overkill on the Lake. It can get alittle choppy and some real confused water from boat traffic on the weekends. You will appreciate the extra length.

You can run with us anytime as long as you bring me fishing

Bob

Shane 03-24-2004 06:49 PM

Panther,

It is truly one of teh most pristine and beautiful bodies of water you will ever see. GLH comes down to our pond twice a year and loves to take pictures of HOT BOAT's azz.:p Myself and Otis311 live on the lake. I fish frequently with friend who has a charter business at his motel and you wil lNOT be disappointed. Your 30 footer is CERTAINLY NOT to big. You will REALLY enjoy it. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your trip easier or more fun. I would love to h run with you.

Shane

P.S. Hot Boat, Tantrum, myself and Otis don't post any pictures of GLH's azz because there are none. We haven't found a wide angle lens to accomodate anything that LARGE!:p

Donzilla 03-24-2004 07:37 PM

I visit twice a year and stay at lake George RV park . Brought my small donzi one year and stayed at the GEORGIAN:rolleyes: never mind that but the lake can be a handful with a short boat. Lauched at Gilchrist in bolton landing. This year I will be bringing my 353 towing with my Diesel motorhome might need a local to launch for me she is long and you guys up there know the roads are tight. Looks like the dock at the algongquin to me and that is a must see visit everyday your there. Been going there for 30 years and I am 40
It is stunning and am never dissapointed. So if you had to fish for 4 days it would not be to hard to take!
JIm;)

Shane 03-24-2004 07:44 PM

Jim,

Let me know when you are coming. I can tow ou to the lake and have a few launches you can pick from. You are correct. GLH's boat is docked at the Algonquin.:)

Donzilla 03-24-2004 08:15 PM

Shane,
I would sure appreciate that when we come up we usually rent a car so the motor home stays put.
I know for sure late august and not confirmed but hoping mid July. Got a deadline on a custom house completion.
Thanks,
JIm

epeek 03-24-2004 08:48 PM

You better have 30 ft,otherwise the lake will kick
your azz. It can get very rough. Especially in the
Southern basin in the afternoon. I have a house
on the lake & can tell you there is no place more
beautiful. Make the trip,you will truley enjoy it.
Get ahold of otis311. He in the ambassador of
the lake! Mostly its because he never has to work:D
and is a party animal.:cool: :cool: Otis,you know I
love ya!:D I just wish I was you.:p

otis311 03-24-2004 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the Algonquin ?? I think ive heard of that

otis311 03-24-2004 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
view from the "A" looking back up at my shack

GLH 03-24-2004 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can't miss Ottis here he is shopping in Florida!

21 Hustler 03-24-2004 11:11 PM

i had an interesting experience at lake george, my uncle has a house on Friends lake which is like 15 min from lake george. I brought my boat up there to Performance Marine in Bolton Landing to get my engine with a whipple on it mapped. Brought it there around july 7th, they said it would be done in 2 weeks. I kept close contact with them and everyweek it was something else. I am 21 yrs old and do all the foot work for my dad, so right there i get no respect from elders. I was very respectful to them and the weeks went on and on. Mid august about 6 weeks later i wasnt takin anymore excuses. I called on a tues and get a little hot with them on the phone, and they assured it would be done by friday and to come and pick it up. I live in NJ, 4 hour ride up get there, my boat hasnt even been touched. I go to my uncle's house at friends lake and he got on the phone and absolutely ripped them and new a-hole. THey said next friday def be done, so i go up and its done and i leave very unhappy

21 Hustler 03-24-2004 11:25 PM

Part 2. Upon leaving i was a little suspicous and wanted to test the boat out b4 driving all the way home. I so pop it in the lake, It was a cold day and really windy. I had my sister who was 15 and my cousin who was 16 in the boat. We are leaving the marina idleing out and we start going. I took off my shoes cuase i was runnin around on the docks prior. So we are goin fine, and all of a sudden i feel water on my feet. I immediatyl freaked out thingin we have a hole in the boat cause it was a matter of one minute. THis is right after my cousin tells me the lake is 100+ feet right where we are. So i turn around to go back, while i was turning my engine starts to sputter, the water was startin to submerged the engine i guess. SO i was like there is no way im gettin off plain, the boat will sink right away, so i cruise back into the docks keepin myself on plain, pass right by a cop, knew that was a problem but what could i do. People are cursing at me for goin fast in an idle zone, pull into the docks a ta shallow part and scream to the dock boys im sinking, they start pumping. THe cop comes over and flips on me, i tell him look im sinking my bilge is filled and so is half my boat. We pull the boat out of the water and i look, no holes, plug was in. I didnt know what was going on. The cop is yapping in my ear, that i dont have a pass, and i shouldnt be on the lake, and that i should've idled in. Upon further inspection i fould that the marina undid my exhaust clips, and water wasnt goin out of the back it was just filling up my bilge. The cop says that he didnt feel there was enough water in the boat for him, so i got a ticket for speeding, and then i said that i felt what i did was better than just letting it sink, cause at the time i really did think we were sinking. He gave me my ticket and said some choice words and came home, and havent been back

otis311 03-25-2004 07:22 AM

Officer Dunn ?? Got his name all over that story

outer42 03-25-2004 07:26 AM

shane
I'm think i'm coming up in july to camp after the outerlimits poker run. Do you think i can run my boat on the lake?

Shane 03-25-2004 09:31 AM

Originally posted by outer42
shane
I'm think i'm coming up in july to camp after the outerlimits poker run. Do you think i can run my boat on the lake?

Outer42,

Absolutely. You may need some clamp on mufflers. Call me and we can arrange it. Depending on when you are coming, you can stay with me.

Shane

Panther 03-25-2004 11:03 AM

Shane, I don't have mufflers. Do you think I will have a problem. I am pushing about 550hp per side.

Thanks

Panther

Shane 03-25-2004 11:10 AM

Shane, I don't have mufflers. Do you think I will have a problem. I am pushing about 550hp per side.

Thanks

Panther

Panther,

Is it straight exhaust or silent choice/captains call? If straight...likely you will. Shutting down the noise coming in to the docks is wise. Out in the middle it is unlikely you will have a problem.

Tantrum 03-25-2004 11:47 AM

Originally posted by formulaz583
He's gone now, so no longer an issue
Do tell :eek:

Has anybody talked to Chuck? Is he incarcerated? He did say he was going to do terrible things to Mr Dunn but I didnt think he was going to go through with it.
:crazy:

Shane 03-25-2004 01:02 PM

Originally posted by formulaz583
He's gone now, so no longer an issue
Not so FAST there formulaz583...remember, the WC Sherriff has 2 Marine Patrol Units! Let's hope Dunn doesn't end up on one!:rolleyes: :eek: :hothead: :mad:

Panther 03-25-2004 01:51 PM

Thanks Shane,

I don't have capt. call, silent choice etc, just straight exhaust. I think I am going to opt out with bringing the boat since I don't want my vacation to turn into an arguing session with the authorities......

We may just rent a boat for the weekend for fishing etc. I think it should be fun either way, but it would be nice to spend the vacation on my boat.

Shane 03-25-2004 01:53 PM

Well, if you come up boatless, you will NOT be HP BOATLESS! Just let me know as the time gets closer and we will get you out on the Skater and or the Formula.:)

mr_velocity 03-25-2004 01:56 PM

Thanks

Panther

In your dreams :D :D

mr_velocity 03-25-2004 01:58 PM

Thanks Leopaj,

I think my friends wanted to go there some time in July/August.

I'm not much of a fisherman so I was hoping I could do a little bit of boating as well. I may just need to bite the bullet just this once and use the rod and reel for the weekend. 30miles wide huh? I could cover the whole lake in the AM with my boat.

We're taking the cover off the Proline this weekend, stop by and we'll head out for some winter flatties.

If you have any fine thread 7/16 stainless nuts bring them too, there is only one bolt holding the motor on right now.

Panther 03-25-2004 02:57 PM

Has anyone heard of "Treasure Cove Resort Motel and Cottages". This is where we were thinking of staying, but I know nothing about the place. Also, if you have any recommendations that would be great.

Shane: Thanks for the offer, sounds like a good time! I'll definetely follow up when the time gets closer. Thanks!

Mr. Velocity, I'll try and stop by but I am pulling the motor saturday and replacing the transmission. I got all my parts via UPS yesterday. It was like Christmass time at my house. With all the popcorn foam you would have thought it was snowing.

Panther

epeek 03-25-2004 10:04 PM

I know Treasure Cove. Its on the west side,heading
towards Bolton Landing. Its not 5 star, but it
will get the job done. Most of the motels & cottages
on L.G. are 1950's built, and remodeled a dozen
times. To party at night,head to the King Neptunes.
Its the best bar in town. Then head to Duffys,D.Js
and Shepards Cove. All are in L.G village. Head to
Bolton, for some food & fun

Hot Boat 03-25-2004 10:32 PM

The treasure cove is an excellent choice. Try and book it now. They have frequent no vacancy. The have a nice launch ramp and plenty of parking for your trailer. The owner is a good friend of shanes. Shane will b e sure to tell you all about it. Shanes , OTIS311, and my house is just a few miles up the road.

Like epeek said , its no 5 star but better than most. if you are looking for a 5 star check out the Sagamore. Its a true 5 star resort , but it will come with a price if you want a boat slip. The Sagamore was recently featured on the travel channel.

outer42 03-26-2004 06:43 AM

Shane,
i think in July to lake george escape camp ground. I jus bought a 40 foot Monaco Windsor coach and going up with 10 family's for the week. When it gets closer i'll p.m you.

outer42 03-26-2004 06:44 AM

p.s i can't put mufflers on pipes to close

Hot Boat 03-26-2004 06:57 AM

I have a relatively loud single engine setup. Just take it easy when you are near shore and dont open it up when there is a million boats around. Keep it in the middle of the lake when you are traveling from destination to destination and you shouldn't have a problem.

Also they do make insert mufflers that go inside the tail pipes. it helps knock down a few Db with no lose in HP.

GLH 03-26-2004 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Hot Boat
.. relatively loud single engine...
Light understatement.

GLH 03-26-2004 07:07 AM

Originally posted by outer42
i think in July to lake george escape camp ground. I jus bought a 40 foot Monaco Windsor coach and going up with 10 family's for the week. When it gets closer i'll p.m you.
You might look at Lake Champlain also about 45 min to an hour further North we are missing a few things however;
-Lake Size restriction, ours is huge
-Zealous Marine Patrol
-Crowded Lake
and we have a few more sandy beaches!

LG is still a blast we're just a little further and a lot bigger! :D

Hot Boat 03-26-2004 08:20 AM

Originally posted by GLH
Light understatement.

You Think:p

ChrisK 03-26-2004 09:15 AM

I actually liked saranac lake better than lake george when I lived up there. I guess because it was farther away from the where I lived at the time.. who knows. I remember going up there when I was a kid to fish creek campgrounds and going out on saranac to run around.