Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who dislikes blow-boats... and why (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76244-who-dislikes-blow-boats-why.html)

Indy 04-09-2004 07:08 AM

I can sail a beam reach better than most of them! We don't have a lot of the issues you all refer to in these waters (Long Island Sound). Most are friendly and love the water as much as we do. I've actually found that powerboaters have more attitude than the sailors do. There are some real jerks running those things.

Cattitude 04-09-2004 07:43 AM

It's a pretty diverse bunch as are we. There's several on our lake that I know and am friendly with. The owner of the race car shop (circle track) which sponsors my rockcrawling racing (builds my chassis) races in all the local regatta's, owns 13 sailboats, most of them projects (Too old with sails???)

When I lived in Ft Walton beach I had a nacra which is a racing cat, I used if for pleasure (mostly chasing women) and raced it as well. Like powerboats, performace sailing cats are a blast- at least if the wind is blowing:D

I've got a Miami buddy who uses his 50ish' sailboat as a support boat in some of the offshore races.

I don't care if you have a 100 sailboaters, powerboaters, fisherman, skiboats, pontoon boats, statistically, some of them are going to be idiots. Some are going to give the one fingered wave, and some are going to deserve getting it.;)

check freak 04-09-2004 07:49 AM

I am with Strip Poker. Most of the sailers I have run into, no pun intended, think they own the water. They do not follow the rules of the water, and the always think they have the right of way even when they are under power. They are a bunch of tree hugging smucks.

By the way, I had one almost broad side me as I was backing my dad's 36' cabin cruiser into the slip. The guy came about 2" from taking off the bow of my boat. Needless to say, he got a good cussing and I received a well put from all the other boaters within ear shot.

formula31 04-09-2004 08:06 AM

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG. All night long. I hate to admit it but Ive accidentally (hehe) cut the lines on couple of those sailbotes that were banging on the mast incessantly.

Downtown42 04-09-2004 08:49 AM

Don't matter to me. Have had cruisers in the past with seasonal slips next to them and they like to party. Most of them are ok. Too many flies and bugs when sailing for me. BORING.....

MitchStellin 04-09-2004 09:13 AM

Hey Formula, those are called halyards:D You don't know what a b itch it is to get those back down or re thread them thru the blocks. I think you are all right, we give them courtesy and they give us the finger, but we are better for trying to be nice, they just don't realize they may need us for a tow and their actions tell us they would rather swim home.

HyperBaja 04-09-2004 09:37 AM

Hate.

1. I have never met a sail boater who is even close to sane.

2. Every sailor I know causes problems.

Sydwayz 04-09-2004 09:45 AM

They really do nothing for me, however... having caught some of the BMW and Americas Cup on ESPN and such, and seeing how much of a strategic and thinking game it is to racing them, I found that really interesting...tacking and maneuvering, especially cutting a turn bouy and taking another boats wind. I know it is tiring, but I would not mind participating in one of those races. I just would not want to have to go thru all the BS to be an experienced sailor before they let you race. Pleasure sailing though... not for me.

JROMY 04-09-2004 10:01 AM

Amazing the difference in mentality between us and most of them. Out of any of these posts above, no matter how much anyone hates sailboats, you don't see any mention of trying to kick them off the water. Certainly not the attitude most of them have about us....

PhantomChaos 04-09-2004 10:01 AM

Any boat is good for me as long as it floats! I've had a sail boat, and I'll probably have another one some day. Just love being on the water!