Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help me catch this guy! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76347-help-me-catch-guy.html)

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 04:26 PM

Help me catch this guy!

1 Attachment(s)
I went to look at my boat at the storage barn today. I opend up the cover and saw the speakers were missing. Must be punks.

I tried to use jumper cables to raise the engine hatch, no dice. I picked it up manually and could not believe my eyes!

The entire exhaust system and silent choice was gone. The vavle covers were off but in the boat and the Crane rocker arms and push rods were gone.

Lots of other wierd stuff like the hour meter, the hydraulic steering resevoir was taken. Other expensive stuff was left.

This must have happened just before March 15th in Antioch Illinois. If you hear of anything, please PM me or [email protected]

All of our insurance if affected by these actions!

Thanks for any help,

F

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ex radio

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Senseless breakage

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut the starter wires which should be the worst thing to fix.

Jamie B. 04-10-2004 04:52 PM

Thats terrible !

Originally posted by Fountainclimber
This must have happened just before March 15th in Antioch Illinois.
Where did this theft take place at ? I'll keep my eyes and ears open, I live on the S.W edge of Fox Lake in Fox Lake.

Steve_H 04-10-2004 05:08 PM

if it was my boat and i caught the sumbiotch i dont think the cops would hear from me , although an ambalance would be needed at the scene. :hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

US1 Fountain 04-10-2004 05:11 PM

Absolutely sickining. Sorry to here this.

It's getting to the point that these thiefs need to be dealt with, and NOT by our 'slap 'em on the wrist' judicial system.

Strip Poker 388 04-10-2004 05:12 PM

You dont have a location above your member #

traviss 04-10-2004 05:21 PM

sorry to hear that bro... Hope ya catch them bastads! :mad:

Jamie B. 04-10-2004 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Strip Poker 388
You dont have a location above your member #
Antioch, IL is in the northern part of the state, about 60 miles N.W of Chicago.

marinetrans 04-10-2004 05:37 PM

It makes me sick to look at your first picture. I can't believe how much sh$t they took. Looks like they had some time or made a couple of trips.

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 05:42 PM

I boat (used to?) on the Chain O'Lakes in Northern Illinois.

The boat was stored in a private locked pole barn with many other boats which didn't seem to have been touched. The door was forced open.

The police don't seem to think it's a big deal, the guys finger prints are all over the place and they grudgingly accepted a part to test.

I agree it must have taken some time. Some parts were carefully unbolted, others ripped off.

A serious concern is where did all those valve cover nuts and washers go, down the engine?

Thanks all for your concern, keep your ears open!

F

hp500efi 04-10-2004 06:01 PM

Downright sickening :mad: :mad:

What does the owner of the locked pole barn have to say? Was the place broken into?

Reed Jensen 04-10-2004 06:54 PM

I boat (used to?) on the Chain O'Lakes in Northern Illinois.

The boat was stored in a private locked pole barn with many other boats which didn't seem to have been touched. The door was forced open.

The police don't seem to think it's a big deal, the guys finger prints are all over the place and they grudgingly accepted a part to test.

I agree it must have taken some time. Some parts were carefully unbolted, others ripped off.

A serious concern is where did all those valve cover nuts and washers go, down the engine?

Thanks all for your concern, keep your ears open!

F

If your insurance covers it.... I'd have the engines pulled and the pans removed... just to be sure... don't want loose stuff getting into the oil pick-up screen... prudent thing to do... Rotten scum.... damn rotten scum.... I've had cars broken into .... they cause hundreds of dollars damage breaking in... only to take a twenty dollar flashlight.... :hothead:

Cord 04-10-2004 07:18 PM

I'd have those motors checked out. They probably sabotaged them. If the insurance doesn't want to pay for it now, get something is writing addressing your concern.

Roger 1 04-10-2004 07:28 PM

I`ll keep my eyes open down here in Kankakee. Why don`t you post the information in the COPS forum. Lots of eyes will be watching then.

cuda 04-10-2004 07:28 PM

I know the feeling only too well. Sorry SOB's.:mad:

Fountainclimber 04-10-2004 07:36 PM

They did take the $20 flashlight too (and bracket). The barn owner is a friend and they did try to break into his house also.

I was thinking they might try ebay?

Who would want a used hour meter with 260 hours on it?

I will try COPS too.

F

homan 04-10-2004 07:55 PM

Ya know what's weird is that the little f*cks took off the valve covers how'd they know rollers were under it unless you didn't have baffles. Also like you said stupid stuff was taken starter, batteries, but not the hydraulic rams or efi system. It had to have been dopey ass punks, I hope you catch them and string them up on top of the pole barn for all their friends to see. Of course beat them silly first.

puder 04-10-2004 08:00 PM

WTF???

frikkin *******s!!!!!!

jlsnyder26_Sonic 04-10-2004 08:13 PM

Sorry to hear that bro... Stuff like that is hard to understand, but they'll get theirs in the end!:hothead:

Good luck with getting your boat back in operating condition;)

mopower 04-10-2004 08:18 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR:hothead: Wouldn't ya like to get a hold of them:hothead: :hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

HyperBaja 04-10-2004 08:29 PM

As much as you dont want to hear this, remember it isnt TV. Running a set of prints runs around 2200$.

Feel for you, hope you catch them.

R Addiction 04-10-2004 10:09 PM

This Sucks!!! Hope you catch the scum!!
:mad:

GRH 04-10-2004 10:21 PM

Sorry to hear about this! Can't imagine how you must have felt seeing that.... Really sorry for you.....

mjpcowboy 04-10-2004 10:26 PM

I hate thieves!!!! Makes you wonder why you work so hard to have nice things. :mad: :mad: :mad:

38KV 04-10-2004 10:26 PM

Reading things like this makes me SO angry, I can't sleep!!! :hothead: :hothead: :hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

cuda 04-10-2004 11:28 PM

I couldn't even get Tampa police to come out and take finger prints.:mad: I even offered to bring the screwdriver that they used. They weren't interested.:mad:

Mark D 04-10-2004 11:36 PM

FC:

I am truly sorry to hear this. I know how you are with your Fountain.
I hope you catch those fu*ks.

Sydwayz 04-10-2004 11:40 PM

Really sorry to hear/see this. I will keep my eyes and ears pealed, as well as notify my Dad in Geneva.

gmhdfan 04-11-2004 12:31 AM

Someone with 600 hours on their hour meter. I would at lest pull the intakes to see if anything was laying in the lifter valley. Good luck finding the sc&mbags. I'm sure someone in the neighborhood "knows" who did it.

Reed Jensen 04-11-2004 02:15 AM

Originally posted by HyperBaja
As much as you dont want to hear this, remember it isnt TV. Running a set of prints runs around 2200$.

Feel for you, hope you catch them.

Sure.... The cops don't bother taking the fingerprints... then if they catch them doing the same thing,,, they can't connect the two... makes perfect sense....if you're a moron detective..... You don't have to do the print search... but the prints should be on file.... What is really maddening is they will cause tens of thousands of more damage to other people's property... when they probably could be identified by spending $2200.00 in a print search... I'd say that's penny wise... pound foolish...

blownincome 04-11-2004 06:19 AM

:mad: Had to be someone who knows your boat and knew where it was.I hate to hear this szyt. Sorry to hear !!! I hope you find the bstards!! :hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

Tinkerer 04-11-2004 07:26 AM

sounds to me like someone shopping for new parts for their own boat.

those are parts that would be easy to install on their own boat.

gferdon 04-11-2004 07:53 AM

FC,

Putting the money issue aside for the moment, I know how much time, effort and thought you have in that boat. I also know the cops take a "just another jerk whose crying the blues over his toy" attitude...not much will change that and chances are they will never recover what was taken. It's a rotten deal but you have to chalk that up to the way it is.

I had a boat stolen and recovered many years ago...a new Hydrostream...and the insurance jerkoff tried to beat me up as to how much will be covered. You, like the rest of us, pay a huge premium for our coverage. Make sure not to take any crap from them and get all you are entitiled to...definitely tear down that engine!! Wish I lived in your area so I could help you hunt these aholes with dogs! One last thing, from what you describe it sounds like this was not a random thing. Why weren't the other boats hit? Seems to me they had to know you had something a bit more special than the average. The whole deal is very strange. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Gary

PS Pull that engine!

Macklin 04-11-2004 08:13 AM

Unbelievable! And none of the other boats were vandalized? Hope they catch the scum.

Audiofn 04-11-2004 08:18 AM

Oh man that just totally sucks man. I am sorry to hear that. I install stereo systems for a living and I often times wonder if I want to spend all the effort putting a system in as it will just make my boat a mroe likely target. I want to be able to leave it at my dock in Maine with out having to worry..... Stuff like this does NOT help.

As for the fingure printing issue I am guessing that the likelyhood that the prints will show up in a database is slim to non. HOWEVER you have to remember what most people thing about our boats. They think that a 500,000 buck boat is probably 50,000. Maybe if you let the police know that what was stolen was many many thousands of dollars they may take a new interest in the case. I hope that your insurance takes care of you and if there is anything that I can assist you with the tunes please let me know.

Jon

Fountainclimber 04-11-2004 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They left foot prints too.

Formula311-SR1 04-11-2004 08:50 AM

That sucks!!

I'll keep an eye open and mention it to some other area boaters. Live in Fox Lake also

bryanspeedracer 04-11-2004 09:26 AM

F#*kin' animals. I hate them all.

As some may know, I'm a cop. Be nice...

Anyway, I'm not going to give excuses for other cops that answer jobs like this. I will say that when it happened to me, I had to do the leg work. My brothers told me that they had too much/more important things to do.

Example: My wife is an insurance agent. Her shop was robbed at gunpoint. They held a gun to her head. Because no one could ID either of the suspects, the case was "officed" meaning that it was going no where. They did takeprints and tried eliminations. Unfortunately, no luck there either. (TV kills my profession, they solve a murder with a hair left behind in one hours time). I did they leg work on that as well. One of the suspects was taken off of the streets. He was arrested on other charges. I know that he was involved in the ins. agency robbery because of "word on the street". Geekers, hookers, and aquaintences help in this regard. None of these people will/would go to court to testify and that is where the problem lies. No way to tie it in.

The point is, post 37 is right. There are people that know about this. If I had to guess, it was someone that knows you and your boat. Esp. if no other boats were tampered with. I don't know how big your storage place is, but if every owner knew to check his/her boat for theft/vandalism, it could give you a direction. All I do is talk to people, nothing special. Think of an angle to approach them and talk to anyone at the yard. You will get a direction to go in. If you want to talk more about it, feel free to PM me. That goes for anyone else, as well. It is frustating to say the least.

Bryan