Like Tree0Likes

Co-pilot of Nagasaki bomb plane dies

Old 04-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unhappy Co-pilot of Nagasaki bomb plane dies

Co-pilot of Nagasaki bomb plane dies
Saturday, April 10, 2004 Posted: 9:17 PM EDT (0117 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Fred Olivi, who copiloted the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki, has died. He was 82.

Olivi, a native of Chicago, died Thursday at a rehabilitation center in a Chicago suburb, officials at Panozzo Bros. funeral home said Saturday. He suffered a stroke in August.

The crew of the Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Three days later, on August 9, 1945, the crew of the B-29 bomber nicknamed Bockscar dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Japan surrendered six days later, ending World War II.

"While thousands died, I feel sure the bomb had to be dropped because if the Americans had been forced to invade Japan, it would have been a bloodbath," Olivi told the Chicago Sun-Times in a 1995 interview.

Olivi was one of many veterans angered by an exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution for the 50th anniversary of the bombings.

"It's slanted more in sympathy to the Japanese than it is to us," he said in a 1994 interview.

Olivi enlisted with the Army Air Forces immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. "He always wanted to fly," said his older brother, Emil Olivi. "The Air Corps gave him a chance, and he took it."

After the war, Olivi served in the Air Force Reserve, flying with a troop transport squadron based at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport until 1971. He ended his service as a lieutenant colonel.

Olivi also worked full-time as a manager of bridge operations and maintenance for the city of Chicago until he retired in 1988.

In the mid-1960s, Olivi married Carole McVey, whom he met in high school. She died in 1998.

Until his stroke, Olivi traveled around the country touring air shows, giving speeches, visiting museums and selling his self-published book, "Decision at Nagasaki."

Besides his brother, survivors include six nieces and nephews.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 26 ZX DONZI 496HO

RIP, Many American lives were saved that day! Thats right,sometimes it takes drastic measures to bring peace. Thanks to people like this who carry out such drastic measures(missions), we are feared by most who may have a different agenda in store for us.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 26 ZX DONZI 496HO

A guy gets killed or injured in a boat we have 200 replies, a man that was the difference and changed the outcome of WW2 and nobody has anything to say. U better find your alligence gonna we have another war thats gonna take drastic measures or again many americans will die. Please do not read anything political into this, I'm just sayin how I see it!! I'm not tryin to compare this to WW2 either.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was thinking along the same lines! ?

This Generation today will never realize what was done in the past to secure what they have surrounding them today.

Ask most High school graduates today about WWII see what they say.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Speed

I agree 100% in fact if those brave Americans did not do that maybe a lot of us... Would not be here Period. With Fathers or Grandfathers dead in an Invasion.

Thank You God Bless and RIP Mr Olivi..
Old 04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Neighbor is about to pass on as well. He was shot down in a B-17 During WWII. He was a Gunner. I told him one time "You are my HERO". He said I'm no Hero, All my friends who never came home. They are your hero.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I appreciate Fred Olivi and all veterans Of the United States Armed Forces.
Thank you for making my life possible.
Rest in Peace Fred Olivi
Old 04-11-2004, 03:50 PM
LPA2106

appreciative here too...

Mr. Olivi...
Attached Thumbnails
Co-pilot of Nagasaki bomb plane dies-cgp-255.jpg  

Old 04-11-2004, 03:53 PM
LPA2106

fyi...if anyone anywhere has any "ideas" this is where the USA stands today...less than 10 min response time with our submarine deployment post "2 key" launch signals
Attached Thumbnails
Co-pilot of Nagasaki bomb plane dies-nkinv.gif  

Old 04-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

Rest in peace Fred Olivi. We owe everything to him and his generation. Way too many people take our lives for granted these days and forget the sacrifice these men made.