Like Tree0Likes

GM Vortec 6000 Can it do the job?

Reply
Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Team V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boonville, NY USA
My Boats: Formula 29PC
Posts: 621
Default

Cool....

I had a friend just trade his in because of milage, not sure of how many miles were on it, but he claimed 7 mpg, it was a year or two old, low miles.
And I guy I work with just bought a brand new HD and is claiming 7 mpg.
Neither one of these two really tow anything... and of course are complaining because they thought they were buying a daily driver

I've always owned full size 4 wheel drives and consider myself lucky to get over 10 mpg.
Team V is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:43 PM
  #12
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

With the incredible advantages in fuel economy, low end torque, engine life and dependability from the new diesels, why would anyone consider a gas engine for a heavy duty tow vehicle today??

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:18 PM
  #13
Registered
Thread Starter
 
cgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mecca, Ohio
My Boats: Looking
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
With the incredible advantages in fuel economy, low end torque, engine life and dependability from the new diesels, why would anyone consider a gas engine for a heavy duty tow vehicle today??

T2x
For me it is the $7,700 added cost for the Duramax/ Allison combination is why I am leaning towards a gas engine. I usually don't keep a vehicle for a long period of time so I just don't know for how many times that I actually tow my boat if it is justifiable to spend the added money.

I went out today and was looking at trucks and some of the prices were topping $50k.
I want to tow my boat and not have to live in the truck.

I did see a nice Chevy HD 2500 Regular Cab LS 4x4 with a 6.0 that had a tow package and heavy duty transmission for MSRP of 33k.

Thanks for the information and I'm still taking it all in. I know that for towing that the Diesel is the way to go but it is all the other little things that I'm also thinking about.

Cordell
cgarrett is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:49 PM
  #14
Registered
 
scottsumrall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: WEST MONROE,LA.
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / 22 CC Express
Posts: 259
Default

I HAVE PULLED 38 TOPGUN WITH MY 03 GMC 2500HD CREW CAB 4X4 , WITH 6.0 AND 4.10 GEARS AND PULLS GREAT........................
scottsumrall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
  #15
RickS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I've been very happy with my 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD CC 8.1L/ZF 6-speed/4.10 truck. I can get the same mileage as the 8.1L/3.73/Allison trucks and have all the power advantages of the 4.10 gears. On my last trip I got 16-MPG running empty at 75-MPH and 12-MPG pulling 5,500 lbs. Best of all while towing at 75-MPH I have all the power I need from a nice quiet engine and 6 gears to choose from. Iím very glad I choose not to pay $4,000 for a noisy diesel engine and $2,000 for a mileage reducing automatic tranny.

I also towed a 12,000lb. load from L.A. to Flagstaff when the truck was new with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Coming up the hill from CA the truck got 7-10 MPG and pulled just as good as any stock diesel.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:51 PM
  #16
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RickS
I've been very happy with my 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD CC 8.1L/ZF 6-speed/4.10 truck. I can get the same mileage as the 8.1L/3.73/Allison trucks and have all the power advantages of the 4.10 gears. On my last trip I got 16-MPG running empty at 75-MPH and 12-MPG pulling 5,500 lbs. Best of all while towing at 75-MPH I have all the power I need from a nice quiet engine and 6 gears to choose from. Iím very glad I choose not to pay $4,000 for a noisy diesel engine and $2,000 for a mileage reducing automatic tranny.

I also towed a 12,000lb. load from L.A. to Flagstaff when the truck was new with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Coming up the hill from CA the truck got 7-10 MPG and pulled just as good as any stock diesel.
Counterpoint.......


1. The diesels gets 50% more MPG

2. The diesels gets at least 50% more engine life

3. The diesels have a higher resale

4. The diesels are faster while towing

But then again....I have a Powerstroke...maybe the Duramax isn't worth the money.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:08 PM
  #17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

I have both 7.3 and a 6.0 litre Ford Diesels. I also have a 01, 190k duramax, an 02 duramax and just ordered an 04 duramax with the 310hp/590tq. If I could take the GMC powertrain and put it in my Ford Dually, I would be the happiest man in the world. I will be going to Vegas next week to also check out the new Ford 250's/350's and get hp/tq numbers and see what it will look like, along with the new GT, and Mustang.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
  #18
Danny_Ocean
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not to hijack this thread, but...on the other end of the scale, will my Astro Van (5400 lbs. towing capacity) pull my boat out of the water if necessary? Not interested in towing distances, just want to be able to pull the boat in the event of a hurricane....Up the ramp and a few blocks home.

Boat is 25' Corsa (Cigarette-type hull) with 454/330 TRS. Estimated weight is 4500 lbs. Not sure how much a trailer weighs...

Thanks,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
  #19
VIP Member
Platinum Member
 
wwwTOPDJcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vestal/Binghamton NY
My Boats: 1992 450hp Senza Spectre 25'
Posts: 3,477
Default

I went with the Tahoe Z71 with 5.3 3.73
But I have no intentions of towing anything over 25 with
it, I will just trade it in when I get a bigger boat which will be no less than a 29'
wwwTOPDJcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
  #20
Registered
 
BajaRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin
My Boats: I aint got $hit
Posts: 3,622
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Counterpoint.......


1. The diesels gets 50% more MPG

2. The diesels gets at least 50% more engine life

3. The diesels have a higher resale

4. The diesels are faster while towing

But then again....I have a Powerstroke...maybe the Duramax isn't worth the money.

T2x
on number 1, mine doesnt. it pulls good, not great to me, and gets 10-12 in town, 13-14 on highway and 7.5 pulling a 27 boat with twins. It does have 35" tires, which i know will knock down the mileage, but i wasnt as pleased as i thought i would be. 2001 psd f-250

2,3,4 are correct
BajaRunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
LubeJobs42
General Boating Discussion
20
07-16-2007 11:00 PM
KN
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
4
05-29-2006 09:00 PM
BAD-HABIT
General Q & A
3
03-26-2004 10:06 AM
Towel Boy
General Q & A
1
03-13-2002 11:45 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.